Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spheremonk
Channel Surfer

Re: HBO Max black screen after returning from pause

Danny,

I'm trying not to be rude in my replies, but this is spectacularly unhelpful. If you scroll up, you will see that this is the third time you have suggested turning off the Auto power savings setting. It doesn't solve the problem. It didn't any of the other times it was suggested.

As bad a customer service experience as this has already been, suggesting the same bad ideas over-and-over makes it frustrating as well. Regardless of whether the initial technical problems lies with HBO or Roku, the responsibility for the ridiculous nature of this entire exchange falls squarely with Roku. 

I can't imagine why anyone reading this chain would ever buy a Roku again. I certainly won't.

Best (and good riddance),

spheremonk

tychosis
Channel Surfer

One thing I haven't thought to try... I've mentioned previously that my stream tends to fail out after longer pauses--usually long enough for the screensaver to kick in.  I mentioned in my original post that I really noticed this because I often have to pause my streaming to answer calls or work emails or solve some other problem that comes my way.  If I have been paused long enough for the screensaver to come on, I had about a 50/50 chance of the stream failing shortly after resuming.

I don't know why I didn't think of it until now, but I disabled the screensaver on my Roku to see if the behavior is any different.  I've been rewatching quite a few old HBO series as of late, so I'm interested to see if there's any change.  

0 Kudos
chaderopla
Channel Surfer

@tychosis good idea. That's what I do while working too. I was watching Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and paused long enough for the screen saver to come on and it resumed fine. But it seems like you get a free pass to pause once and thereafter is a **bleep** shoot.

Des C.
0 Kudos
tychosis
Channel Surfer

As mentioned, yesterday I just turned off the Roku screensaver altogether.  

I've been watching off and on with some pretty significant pauses in between and have yet to have any problems.  My stream hasn't stopped and I've come back from even long pauses without an issue.

0 Kudos
chaderopla
Channel Surfer

After jumpimg through many hoops with HBO Max I finally have a ticket and it has escalated to the advanced technical support team. Will keep everyone posted.

@tychosis I don't want to have to turn off my screensaver, but if it continues to play for you like a week straight without hiccups then I guess I'll do it, though I'd rather them actually fix the issue.

Des C.
Roune

Looking forward to hearing back from @chaderopla about what HBO comes up with. I’ve been having the same issue as well except when it decides to stop working for me it will actually play about 1-3 seconds of the show and then go black. It also seems to do it every second or third time I pause. I’d also like to know if the whole turning off the screensaver idea works out too. Is that done in the tv settings or what? I haven’t really messed around with any of that stuff yet

chaderopla
Channel Surfer

Hi all, so they have an updated version of HBO Max 52.5 so if you're still on 50.6 please update. Let me know if after update issue still occurs. Thanks.

Des C.
0 Kudos
MsRubyTuesday
Binge Watcher

Hi,

Ive had/have the 52.5 and it does it. 

measoko

Hi @chaderopla,

I've been on that version and still have this issue.  here are my details as well if it helps:

Roku Ultra
Model: 4660X
Device OS Version: 10.5.0 (4208)
Serial Number: f9d73a71-eb4e-5f87-80f9-1eb5a138dee7
Build: 19
Version: 52.5.0

Will try the screensaver workaround as well, but agree this needs to fixed!

0 Kudos
missmotta

Yes this happens to me every single time I pause it for more than just a minute it's really annoying. And it's been going on for months and months. I don't know what to do. I guess just not pausing anything.

0 Kudos