Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spheremonk
Channel Surfer

Re: HBO Max black screen after returning from pause

Hi Danny, This was suggested a while back. Auto power saving is off on both of my Rokus and the problem persists.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the follow up.

As I previously stated, I have already passed along the information you have provided to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll make sure to update this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lukiss

Mine is doing the same thing now, its like if you leave it paused for more than 5 min.. ull press play itll play for a sec then goes to black screen indefinitely, i have to back all the way out everytime.. been happening for months.. super annoying 

0 Kudos
chaderopla
Channel Surfer

Hi All,

Received the following from HBOMax. I haven't tried it yet, will try most likely tomorrow. But if it works or doesn't work would love to know.

1. Start by clearing your Roku cache:  

• Make sure “Home” is selected from the main menu.  

• From the remote control, press the following buttons consecutively: Press Home 5 times. Press Up. Press Rewind 2 times. Press Fast Forward 2 times.  

• It will take about 15-30 seconds to clear the cache and restart.  

2. Please try to login on your phone/PC and sign out all of your Roku devices.

3. Now we are going to uninstall the HBO Max app and reboot the modem and TV:  

• From the Roku home screen navigate to "streaming channels"  

• Select HBO Max and select "remove channel"  

• Turn off your TV and unplug it  

• Unplug your router  

• Wait a full 60 seconds  

• Plug in your router and let it fully power up  

• Plug in your TV and turn it back on  

• From the Roku home screen navigate to "streaming channels"  

• Select HBO Max and select "add channel"  

Good luck! 

Des C.
0 Kudos
spheremonk
Channel Surfer

This is the same nonsense that HBO Max suggests no matter what problem you report ("You can't rewind, you can't play videos, you have a skin rash on your face? Just clear the cache, reboot, reinstall HBO Max, and all your problems will be solved."). Unsurprisingly, this rarely works and didn't work for this issue.

There's an actual, bona fide problem either with the HBO Max app generally or with how it interacts with the Roku software. What we need is a real solution to that problem, not some generic "is it plugged in?"-type blather.

Can anyone help us?    

Hoser

Just chiming in to say that I am having this same problem.  If I leave HBO Max paused for a few minutes and then press play to resume, the screen goes black and nothing happens.  I have to go to 'home' on my Roku, then open the HBO Max app, and then reopen what I was watching.

So annoying.

0 Kudos
tychosis
Channel Surfer

Hah, yeah... I spent much of my wayward youth in tech-support... and ok, I can buy clearing the cache and reinstalling HBOMax...

but the whole "power-on-reset your TV, your router, your refrigerator, your washer-dryer, just hit the main breaker for your entire house" routine sounds very much like the sort of stuff we would ask users to do when we didn't really have a solid answer...

chaderopla
Channel Surfer

Agreed. And it didn't work.

Des C.
0 Kudos
tychosis
Channel Surfer

I was the OP and I hadn't really run across the issue in a while, revisiting this thread I thought I'd conduct a little experiment.

It seems like I can pause and unpause ad infinitum just as long as I never pause enough to hit the screensaver (which comes on at 10min for me?)

I can pause until I hit the screensaver once and still unpause and continue to watch.

If shortly thereafter I pause again and wait until the screensaver kicks in, it seems like I'll reliably kick out on that second unpause.

I do really feel like this is entirely on HBOMax's side... maybe they just say "to heck with you" on that second pause and data stops buffering.  

Admittedly this is only with 30/45 minutes of experimentation so it might not be all that consistent.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that the newest Roku OS 10.5 has added a new Power item in Settings > System menu for some Roku models. If you have this Power item, under Auto power savings see if deactivating After 20 minutes of no interaction fixes the problem.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos