Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: HBO Max black screen after returning from pause

Hi everyone,

If deactivating the Power Saving setting (or if you do not have that option), it's possible that there is an issue with the channel and I'd recommend reaching out to HBO Max directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the HBO Max channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://help.hbomax.com/us/ContactUs

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

That doesn't solve the problem. For me, it only happens on the HBO Max app. It doesn't happen if Netflix or Hulu is paused for a long time. I also have HBO Max on the two Rokus I own and it happens on both of them, but only on HBO Max. It's definitely the app that has a problem.

chaderopla
Channel Surfer

Same for me @Brittani644 @RokuDanny-R Happens on both my TVs too and just with hbomax. I reached out to hbomax per Danny's instruction and they told me a bunch of nonsense like make sure software is updated, restart tv, remove app and reinstall, etc. I did all that and it still does it. So if anyone ever finds a real solution let me know but I truly believe it's them and not us.

Des C.
spheremonk
Channel Surfer

Add me to the list. I've tried all solutions and nothing works. And why is this thread marked "Solved" when it is entirely unsolved?

tychosis
Channel Surfer

@spheremonk wrote:

Add me to the list. I've tried all solutions and nothing works. And why is this thread marked "Solved" when it is entirely unsolved?

Yeah, that's my bad... I was the original poster and when the problem just went away for me I think I marked support's general troubleshooting steps as a solution.  I tried to revert it and mark it unsolved, not sure if it actually worked.

Does this happen all the time for everyone here?  Because it only happens sometimes for me... however from what we've seen it sounds like this is entirely on HBO.  Maybe someone should open a ticket over there... (I don't think I ever did.)

0 Kudos
MsRubyTuesday
Binge Watcher

Since day one of purchasing HBO Max ive had this issue where I have to go back to roku home screen after coming back from a pause (long or short) and it being a black screen. Nothing has fixed it.. Happens every single time for me.

0 Kudos
Taskmaster
Reel Rookie

@tychosis 

This happens every time I pause a show or a movie for about 5 minutes, then my screen turns black.

Rph108
Reel Rookie

Same issue here. I’ll be canceling my HBO max subscription since this is one of many issues and I’m sick of dealing with it.

0 Kudos
spheremonk
Channel Surfer

My Roku had this exact problem (as I described above in the chain). I just purchased a brand new new Roku Ultra. Same problem: it still goes to black after pausing, only on HBO Max. I'm quitting HBO Max AND Roku. So long . . .   

0 Kudos

Me too! I'm so glad it's not just me who noticed this and thinks it's odd cuz none of my other streaming services do this...

0 Kudos