Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Belovedpeanut
Reel Rookie

HBO Max app not opening on roku

Every time I open the HBO Max app I only get a blank screen with three dots at the bottom lighting up like it’s processing then after about 10 seconds goes back to Roku Home Screen.  This happens on both my Roku Stick and on my Roku HiSense TV.  All the other apps work fine only HBO Max is having the problem.  I already restarted system, even cancelled HBO subscription and reinstalled channel app and still does not working.  This is first time I’m experiencing Roku issues, what the heck is going on???

15 REPLIES 15
Boxman
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max app not opening on roku

I'm experiencing the same problem, I contacted customer support and they transferred me to technical support and said that they would get back to me through my email and this was six days ago and I haven't heard anything. I'm going to try again and I will post an answer if I get one

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Belovedpeanut @Boxman

Thanks for the posts.

When removing a channel from the Home screen, make sure to restart the device before adding the channel back again.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Belovedpeanut
Reel Rookie

Did that, still doesn’t open

0 Kudos
stacey4

Mine is doing the same thing I know there is a chat some where but I can't find it do you know thanks stacey

0 Kudos
Boxman
Reel Rookie

I tried that and it still doesn't open

0 Kudos
jpteach
Reel Rookie

I am having the same problem.  Chatted with roku and did the reboot, check connectivity, signal strength.  Still didn't work.  They sent me to HBO Max.  Worked with them, did all they asked.  Still cannot does the same thing. . . 3 little dots and 10 seconds later, back to Home Screen.  Anyone who finds the solution, please post it with all the steps.  

jpteach
Reel Rookie

How do you remove a channel.  I see no "remove" option after touching the *.

0 Kudos

Hi, I had started having this problem too. There is an older post here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/HBO-Max-Application-Error-Code-32/td-p/724802... which describes people having similar issues (though it does seem the OP was having a different issue entirely). It seems there may be a firewall issue at play, which is really unfortunate. I live onsite at my job (and I'm in IT) so there is a firewall on the network, but it's very open for the most part and we prefer to do application-based firewall exceptions regarding specific port traffic as opposed to just bypassing the firewall for the host itself which seems like terrible practice. HBO Max used to work great and this change happened overnight, probably with an application update on HBO's end.

From the sounds of it a lot of people have contacted HBO about this and they aren't really doing anything about it. I would hope that Roku could intervene on users' behalf. This essentially breaks the product for anyone who is using it in a managed environment, and is a huge pain to understand and get support for even if you have technical knowledge. HBO Max shouldn't have their Roku app set up so that basic web filtering used in any enterprise environment prevents the app from working.

GandM
Reel Rookie

Same problem. HBO Max won't open at all for me. I have a Roku Express that I just bought a few days ago. I get the error message "Unable to communicate with service" and it suggests checking network equipment. But HBO Max is the only app that says this. Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, and Disney plus all open fine and play well. I have tried uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling. 

Model: 3930RW

Software Version: 10.5.0 • build 4208-AE

Uptime 6 minutes (just restarted after reinstall)

This is pretty annoying, as I got the Roku so I wouldn't have to watch on my laptop.

0 Kudos