Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ekimyekim
Level 8

HBO Max app not loading on my Roku 2500X

Jump to solution

I followed the onscreen instructions to add HBO Max to my Roku when the app became available yesterday.  It fails with an error message stating it could not load.

The software version on my Roku box is up to date - I checked.

I restarted my Roku box multiple times but I still get the same error message.

The network is working OK because I can stream Netflix and Amazon Prime with no problem.

Does the HBO Max app work with the Roku 2500X?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO Max app not loading on my Roku 2500X

Jump to solution

Sorry, as you suspected, HBO MAX is not compatible with your Roku.

The 2500 was released in 2012 and is outdated by today's standards.  It is considered by Roku to be a legacy model and cannot run current Roku software.  The 2500 is no longer receiving updated software and so is stuck at Roku 9.1.  It reports it is up to date because there is no later version it can run.  HBO wrote their HBO MAX app to work with Roku 9.3 and later.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

View solution in original post

12 Replies
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Sorry, as you suspected, HBO MAX is not compatible with your Roku.

The 2500 was released in 2012 and is outdated by today's standards.  It is considered by Roku to be a legacy model and cannot run current Roku software.  The 2500 is no longer receiving updated software and so is stuck at Roku 9.1.  It reports it is up to date because there is no later version it can run.  HBO wrote their HBO MAX app to work with Roku 9.3 and later.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

View solution in original post

ekimyekim
Level 8

Jump to solution

It's not exactly what I wanted to hear, but thanks anyway for clearing this up.

I'll upgrade to the latest model of Roku.

ekimyekim

0 Kudos
JobsM
Level 9

Jump to solution

My Roku player is 3500X running software version 9.4 and I have the same issued. Once I get past the "who's watching screen" it starts to load, freezes and kicks me back to the Roku homepage.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@JobsM wrote:

My Roku player is 3500X running software version 9.4 and I have the same issued. Once I get past the "who's watching screen" it starts to load, freezes and kicks me back to the Roku homepage.

Different issue.  Original poster can't even load the app to her system.

There are dozens of threads here already re people having trouble running the HBO MAX app on Roku.  Sound like the app provided by HBO is pretty buggy.  Roku provides the platform on which the channel apps run, but HBO are the ones who have to fix their app.

0 Kudos
ekimyekim
Level 8

Jump to solution

I bought a new Roku (3920X) yesterday at Best Buy here in San Francisco for a little over $30. It did an upgrade the first time I used it.  Software version shows 9.4.0 Build 4200 9-1. The HBO Max app loaded and now works perfectly. Problem solved.

0 Kudos
Willieshores
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue with same set up

0 Kudos
GoHawks
Level 9

Jump to solution

I can't even log in. 

0 Kudos
SadieB47
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have found a work-around you might want to try. If you know what you want to watch on HBO Max, search for it on the Roku and when you find that it is "Included with HBO Max", then click it from there. I've had 100% success doing that. Still can't search around on HBO Max, which sucks, but at least you can watch stuff if you know what you're looking forSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
ekimyekim
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks! I got a new Roku box but still have the old one. I'll try your trick and see if it works for me.

0 Kudos