Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chezzy
Level 7

Re: HBO Max app - login option not available for existing subscriptions?

Jump to solution

Still not sure the issue. All software up to date, done reset, installed, deinstalled, installed.... still no login or play option. 🤷‍♀️ 

frustrating

0 Kudos
grayjaso1
Level 10

Jump to solution

The only thing I know that worked for me with my streaming stick are the following steps in order:

-remove all HBO Max and Hbo apps from Roku.

-restart Roku

- update Roku

- restart Roku

- add the HBO Max channel

- open the HBO Max app

- click on any movie or show that shows up

At this point it prompted me with options to subscribe or sign in.  It accepted my signin credentials from my existing HBO Max account.

dfgsrzwer
Level 10

Jump to solution

Not working for me either. None of the above solutions work, though my Xbox had no problem doing so months ago when it first started. It won't let me log-on with existing credentials from Hulu, and instead keeps trying with my defunct Roku credentials.

EDIT---I finally figured out how to do it (no help from Roku). You don't have to uninstall, reinstall, shut down, or anything. Start the app, sign out if it tries to force you to use your old Roku credentials, and then try to play a video without signing in. The app will direct you to a website where you can sign in using existing, non-Roku credentials.

0 Kudos
revroth
Level 7

Jump to solution

Slight variation on this question--I just installed HBO Max for the first time from the Channel Store, on the Roku in our bedroom. We have another Roku in the living room, that up to now has been on a different Roku account. Do we need to have both devices on the same account in order to get HBO Max on both? Or is there a way to share it from the 1st account to the 2nd? Thanks!

0 Kudos
moluv4nyc
Level 7

Jump to solution

When I follow the the directive on Roku "Home" to "press play" for HBO Max it opens to regular HBO - not HBO Max. Then, in order to stream anything on HBO, I'm directed to subscribe for $14.99. However, it's NOT clear that if I subscribe that I will be getting HBO Max. Advice please??? Thank you. 

0 Kudos
grayjaso1
Level 10

Jump to solution

I don't believe the Roku account matters for this.  HBO Max prompts for an HBO Max login when you try to play something.  Looks like this single HBO Max user id/password is good on multiple devices, but I don't know the particulars about how many or how they manage that.  When I logged into my HBO Max app on my phone, in the 'Manage Devices' menu option, it could see all devices I've used to log into HBO Max and when I last used them, including the new Roku app.  Seems like they are all 'logged in' whether I'm on or not because it gave me the option to 'log out of all devices'.  Interesting.  I'm guessing that the HBO Max account controls cap the simultaneous video streams at a certain level like Netflix, but don't know.

0 Kudos
Yellowbird321
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have an account at HBO max which I paid for online at HBOMAX dot com.

I can not sign in on my ROKU to view.  I have removed the HBO channel, unplugged the Roku, waited....

Plugged back the Roku and downloaded the HBO MAX directly instead of at the ROKU Store online.

I tried again to sign in using email and password and it says "either email or password is incorrect".

They are BOTH correct.  I very carefully rechecked the HBO site and the ROKU.  They match.

Why can't I sign into the Roku?  ANY help out there?

dfgsrzwer
Level 10

Jump to solution

@revroth wrote:

Slight variation on this question--I just installed HBO Max for the first time from the Channel Store, on the Roku in our bedroom. We have another Roku in the living room, that up to now has been on a different Roku account. Do we need to have both devices on the same account in order to get HBO Max on both? Or is there a way to share it from the 1st account to the 2nd? Thanks!

You should be able to use both accounts, since my Xbox and Roku share sign-in data and obviously one device  has nothing to do with the other.

0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 10

Jump to solution

@grayjaso1 

Yes, it does. If you previously had HBO through Roku, you have to let it sign you in under those (presumably now) defunct Roku credentials (the account remembers those for ALL devices, even if the current device never used those credential, which is why even factory resetting won't work), then sign out and try to play a video before it lets you sign in using new credentials. In fact, it was so bad that when I tried to use my Hulu credentials on Xbox 6 months ago, I could not use my "normal" email account as it was tied to my Roku credentials and I had to create a new email account.

(Though, to be fair, that's more an HBO issue than Roku as since I was using Hulu credentials a duplicate email connected with Roku should not have mattered, especially since I wasn't even using a Roku device to connect at the time. It is just weird.)

HBO isn't the first time this happened to me either. Both Rifftrax and CuriosityStream made me jump through hoops to avoid using defunct Roku credentials as well.

0 Kudos
SuperGonz
Level 8

Re: How to subscribe to HBO max

Jump to solution

Yes.

0 Kudos