Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sultan1
Level 7

HBO Max won't let me sign in using a new account

Jump to solution

I formerly had an account with HBO Max that I canceled.  I saw that HBO Max was offering a 20% off special if you booked six months at once so I signed up for six months via computer (not Roku) using a different email address.  Today, I go to the Roku and load up the HBO app and try to log in.  It recognizes me from before and asks me to renew my subscription.  I already did that!  It will not me sign up as someone new, the only option it gives me is to sign up at $14.99/month.  I tried deleting the channel then re-loading it, but this did not solve the issue.  I have already paid for six months.  I do not want to pay twice.  Thanks in advance.

PeteCharles
Level 9

Resubscribed to HBO Max today, yes!

Jump to solution

Finally!  Long story short.  I cancelled after one month back in May when apparent that no deal was forthcoming.  Fast forward to today.  I logged in the HBO Max website on my p.c., resubscribed and got the 6 mo. 20% discount for $69.99.  Then I turned on my Roku TV and after about one minute I noticed the old HBO app on home screen turned automatically into the HBO Max app icon.  I clicked it and all went well from there; even my old original favorites list was still there.   To check quality of the stream I clicked through three movies in my list and watched a minute or two.  I can say for me anyway that the stream was excellent....contrast, color, skin tones, etc.  Nothing in 4k until Wonder Woman and beyond, but the movies shot originally in 70 mm (HD for its time), looked superb, i.e. 2001 Space Odyssey, etc.  I suspect Max is similar to other major streaming services such as Netflix, Prime, in that the bandwidth or bit rate is of the highest available for streaming provided you have a good connection ( I hardwire my tv connection for optimum bandwidth).  

I'm a movie centric viewer and I find Max superior to all the other streaming services for quantity and quality of movies.  A close second imo is The Criterion Channel, but the sweet thing about Max is that it carries dozens of some of the best Criterion Collection titles...Ingmar Bergman films for instance and many other great international titles. Max has some good documentaries too, really looking forward to the Elizabeth Holmes/Theranos scandal.  As for series I hear The Flight Attendant is good and will check it out.  Very please that Roku and HBO Max finally did it.

0 Kudos
SuperGonz
Level 8

Re: HBO Max won't let me sign in using a new account

Jump to solution

Here's two with that issue. Once the subscription is done, kill it off altogether

alsam
Level 7

Re: HBO Max won't let me sign in using a new account - slightly different

Jump to solution

Close for me. I had an HBO trial on Roku with the email I have associated with Roku last year. I signed up (not on Roku) about a month ago with a different email address. Today (when HBO Max) came back to Roku, I tried to sign on with my new account. It doesn't give me that option (that I can see) and auto signs me up under my Roku account. 

Typically there is an option to sign in or sign up. Just a sign up option here. I've uninstalled and installed twice.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
alsam
Level 7

Re: HBO Max app - login option not available for existing subscriptions?

Jump to solution

Hasnt yet worked for me. Keeps auto logging me back into an old signed-up-through roku accout. Not the one I use now. 

0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 14

Jump to solution

@alsam wrote:

Hasnt yet worked for me. Keeps auto logging me back into an old signed-up-through roku accout. Not the one I use now. 

Is there a way to 'sign out' from the Roku authentication? Perhaps from your my.roku.com account page?

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
ToolShedd
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was able to back out of the new account window using the arrow button. I then signed out (from the circle icon at top of screen) and then tried playing a video. When I tried playing the video it prompted for login credentials and I was able to enter my current info. 

Chezzy
Level 7

Jump to solution

I can’t even get the “play” option to try this workaround to login. 

0 Kudos
Matrix-007
Level 7

Jump to solution

It’s about **bleep** TIME!

0 Kudos
Matrix-007
Level 7

Jump to solution

You just have to update your TV system and it will play.

0 Kudos