Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donrb
Level 9

Re: HBO Max app - login option not available for existing subscriptions?

Jump to solution

Same experience and will not work for me, even after deleting the app on multiple Roku devices in our home, turning off devices and restarting. Reassociates with an expired Roku subscription from 4+ years ago and refuses to allow me to login with my current credentials.

0 Kudos
batmanuel
Level 7

Re: HBO Max

Jump to solution

I clicked on subscribe for HBO Max thinking it would take me to a sign in screen. I already subscribe to HBO through Xfinity and HBO Max is included with it. I can access HBO Max online using my Xfinity credentials and thought I could do the same on Roku. Now it seems I'm stuck paying for a month when everywhere else it's free access with my Xfinity credentials. It is IMPOSSIBLE to contact Roku to resolve this issue. I'm very upset that I'm stuck paying for a month. I thought I would be able to access HBO Max on Roku with my Xfinity credentials but I guess that's why it took six months for HBO Max to get on Roku. I am NOT going to double pay for it and have removed my credit card information so Roku can't charge me again. I also cancelled the subscription through Roku since I'm already paying Xfinity for HBO and get HBO Max included. I wanted to use Max on Roku because I prefer the Roku platform but I guess I can't do that without paying double. This should be made clear on Roku but it's not. I feel ripped off and I am going to ask my credit card company to dispute the charge. I'm very disappointed with Roku and it's lack of a way to contact them directly. The website is no help at all.

dfgsrzwer
Level 10

Jump to solution

I'm sorry, Danny, but that simply does not work (unless you updated the app in the hour or so between my previous post and your post...and if you did, that sends chills up my spine making me think you screwed it up even more and my "workaround" will stop working). One has to accept the default sign-in, and then sign out once able to via the top menu. Only after signed out can one do what you suggest. It's a crying shame that Roku support provides less accurate info than a rando like me...

All jokes aside, I found out how to do so from HBO themselves; unfortunately even looking at my browser history I cannot find the exact webpage that tells how to do so. However, they obviously are aware of the problem and Roku is either unaware or chooses to ignore it. if you REALLY wanted to help, you would delete all subscription info once cancelled, rather than keep it and let apps access it. I know you won't do this, as it lets you keep our info and <s>sell</s> pass it on to others. Yeah, I know the "given" reason is to make it "easier" for us to renew, but realistically we aren't going to renew and would rather you delete that info. Because, when that info is accessible on other devices and causes inconveniences  (if not actual identity crises) on those devices, you have overstepped your bounds.

0 Kudos
BarneyF
Level 12

Re: Can't log out of HBO Max to log into new HBO Max account

Jump to solution

Log in at hbomax.com with your old credentials and go to your profile settings where you'll see all your devices that are signed in, with an option to sign out each of them. Then sign out with your browser and sign back in with your new credentials. When I added the app on three devices, first use gave me a code to enter which I used at activate.hbomax.com; then all three showed as logged in devices in my profile, along with the Android TV device that's been logged in since HBOmax first became available.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 10

Jump to solution

Roku is going to tell you there is no problem. There is a problem.

What you have to do is go to the top menu, log out out your defunct Roku HBO account, and try to play a video while not logged in. The app will then allow you to create a new account, or use credentials from an existing account. Note that you cannot do this via Roku alone... you will need to logon via computer/phone as well.

Note: I had the same problem, and could not find an answer. A random web search gave it to me, but unfortunately even with a search of my history I cannot find the exact site with the answer.

donrb
Level 9

Jump to solution

This comes down to poor UX/UI design. A shame this passed QA.

The resolution:
* For those being automatically authed to an expired subscription like me, you must first select the circle profile icon in the top menu (icon on farthest right)
* Scroll all the way to the right option for "Sign out". Not at all obvious design

* Watch content, like The Flight Attendant

* You will be prompted to subscribe or sign in

* Select sign in and your preferred auth method (I chose hbomax.com/tvsignin)

Finally worked.

Does not require app removal, reboots, etc. Just poor app design and user experience. Easily solved for by ALWAYS providing the user choice to sign out / change profiles.

donrb
Level 9

Jump to solution

This comes down to poor UX/UI design. A shame this passed QA.

The resolution:
* For those being automatically authed to an expired subscription like me, you must first select the circle profile icon in the top menu (icon on farthest right)
* Scroll all the way to the right option for "Sign out". Not at all obvious design

* Watch content, like The Flight Attendant

* You will be prompted to subscribe or sign in

* Select sign in and your preferred auth method (I chose hbomax.com/tvsignin)

Finally worked.

Does not require app removal, reboots, etc. Just poor app design and poor user experience. Easily solved for by ALWAYS providing the user choice to sign out / change profiles.

View solution in original post

dfgsrzwer
Level 10

Jump to solution

What I said, but with more detail. Actually, almost exactly what I said in another thread but was to lazy to say again here... Smiley Wink

And in that other thread, I was more critical of what Roku did than this poster was in his/her first sentence. In fact, I downright accused them of manipulating data to try to get you to subscribe via Roku instead of someone else.

0 Kudos
grayjaso1
Level 10

Jump to solution

Well stated.  I started this process again tonight with another device and this logout process was key.  Thinking back,  I probably did this with the prior device that spawned this thread this morning prior to the initial remove-update-reboot process that I thought provided success. Im not sure if the logout needs to be followed by a restart but I did that too prior to attempting to login to HBO Max.  Success.

donrb
Level 9

Jump to solution

Context is everything. I read your reply. It made me click the circle icon, and I kept trying the first option re: profile management (switch profile). Ended up going in circles.

Wasn't until a few minutes later I rage scrolled that I realized the most important option to solve this issue - sign out - was buried nearly 9 clicks away. 

Shlt app design. This coming from someone who does this for a living. 

And yet, everyone working on the project would NEVER understand this dead-end loop many of us are experiencing because replicating an expired subscription test scenario likely never crossed their minds.

Again, solvable by making auth features easily visible / accessible in any case. Not just "subscribe, subscribe, subscribe!" 

At least it's not Cyberpunk 2077? (Which I am enjoying, despite all the haters)