Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

HBO Max app - login option not available for existing subscriptions?

Jump to solution

Installed HBO Max app, but it doesn't provide a login option for existing HBO Max subscriptions.  Am I missing a menu or doing something wrong?  Maybe the Roku flavor of the app isn't fully realized?  If anyone has figured this out, please advise.  Thank you!

5 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Level 14

Re: HBO Max app - login option not available for existing subscriptions?

Jump to solution

@grayjaso1 wrote:

hbo max app did not offer any option other than 'renew subscription' when i attempted to play content.  I'm guessing somewhere in history i must have done a subscription via the old HBO app on the Roku stick (had to be a long time ago)  and it's picking up saved data from that with no way to login/logout or change.  This seems like it could be a simple fix.  I actually deleted the hbo and hbo max apps and reinstalled hbo max tried and it picked up the bad data again.

I would suggest that you remove the HBO Max app, RESTART the Roku device, or if possible, unplugging the device for a few minutes and then RESTART device and do a fresh install of the HBO Max app. I uninstalled the HBO app from my devices yesterday and then checked this morning and did a fresh install of the HBO Max app when it became available in the Roku store. I had to PLAY content to get to a NEW SUBSCRIPTION or EXISTING USER SIGN IN page to authenticate. Once I did this on one (1) Roku device the app showed up on two (2) other devices and it was already logged in.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K

View solution in original post

Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing an issue with not being prompted to sign in with an existing subscription, we would recommend trying to watch a HBO Max exclusive content (e.g. Flight Attendant), and you should be prompted to login to HBO Max.

Please keep us posted if you are still experiencing an issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

Level 9

Jump to solution

This comes down to poor UX/UI design. A shame this passed QA.

The resolution:
* For those being automatically authed to an expired subscription like me, you must first select the circle profile icon in the top menu (icon on farthest right)
* Scroll all the way to the right option for "Sign out". Not at all obvious design

* Watch content, like The Flight Attendant

* You will be prompted to subscribe or sign in

* Select sign in and your preferred auth method (I chose hbomax.com/tvsignin)

Finally worked.

Does not require app removal, reboots, etc. Just poor app design and poor user experience. Easily solved for by ALWAYS providing the user choice to sign out / change profiles.

Level 7

Jump to solution

Finally solved it thanks to all your comments - this has been driving me crazy! I’d already tried deleting HBO max several times and reinstalling it, and clicking on HBO content fixed nothing. After failing to find a sign out button in the switch profiles area I kept trying to somehow sign out through Roku’s settings, with no luck. Finally realized I had to KEEP clicking to the right past what I could see on the screen (on HBO max after clicking on the circle at the top of the screen) to find the sign out button. Ridiculous design, I agree. A sign out option should always be provided in the “Switch Profiles” section. 

Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing an issue signing into HBO Max, Community users have reported they were able to resolve the issue by:

• first select the circle profile icon in the top menu (icon on farthest right)
  • Scroll all the way to the right option for "Sign out". Not at all obvious designWatch content, like The Flight Attendant
  • You will be prompted to subscribe or sign in
  • Select sign in and your preferred auth method (I chose hbomax.com/tvsignin)

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, we would recommend reaching out to HBO Max for further assistance. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach HBO Max support here: https://help.hbomax.com/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
171 Replies
Level 7

How to subscribe to HBO max

Jump to solution

Is it possible if your not already a subscriber to HBO to join in the roku app?

0 Kudos
Level 10

Re: How to subscribe to HBO max

Jump to solution

i was presented the option to subscribe via my Roku account when I opened the app just now.

0 Kudos
Level 14

Jump to solution

@grayjaso1 wrote:

Installed HBO Max app, but it doesn't provide a login option for existing HBO Max subscriptions.  Am I missing a menu or doing something wrong?  Maybe the Roku flavor of the app isn't fully realized?  If anyone has figured this out, please advise.  Thank you!

You are not alone. There is no SIGN IN option when you first open the HBO Max app. Very weird design, if it is a design choice.

Select any content you see on the homepage and select PLAY. When you select PLAY it will take you to a NEW SUBSCRIBER or SIGN IN option page that you can use to login.

FYI. I found that once I did this on one (1) of my Roku devices and signed in it auto signed in on two (2) additional Roku devices.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
Level 10

Jump to solution

I'll check it out and report results here.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Jump to solution

hbo max app did not offer any option other than 'renew subscription' when i attempted to play content.  I'm guessing somewhere in history i must have done a subscription via the old HBO app on the Roku stick (had to be a long time ago)  and it's picking up saved data from that with no way to login/logout or change.  This seems like it could be a simple fix.  I actually deleted the hbo and hbo max apps and reinstalled hbo max tried and it picked up the bad data again.

0 Kudos
Level 15

Re: How to subscribe to HBO max

Jump to solution

I would STRONGLY suggest not subscribing through Roku. You can go to www.hbomax.com and sign up there. Going through 3rd parties almost always causes problems.

Level 14

Jump to solution

@grayjaso1 wrote:

I would suggest that you remove the HBO Max app, RESTART the Roku device, or if possible, unplugging the device for a few minutes and then RESTART device and do a fresh install of the HBO Max app. I uninstalled the HBO app from my devices yesterday and then checked this morning and did a fresh install of the HBO Max app when it became available in the Roku store. I had to PLAY content to get to a NEW SUBSCRIPTION or EXISTING USER SIGN IN page to authenticate. Once I did this on one (1) Roku device the app showed up on two (2) other devices and it was already logged in.

Level 10

Jump to solution

Worked.  I believe i did NOT restart after the HBO Max app deletion.

I'm on!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Level 14

Jump to solution

@grayjaso1 wrote:

Worked.  I believe i did NOT restart after the HBO Max app deletion.

I'm on!

Thank you!

Great. Enjoy!!

0 Kudos