Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarthDagger
Level 9

Re: Roku forcing credit card for HBO MAX... but I am already a subscriber

Jump to solution

@billyS try watching a movie, it will ask you to sign up or sign in 👍

dfgsrzwer
Level 10

Re: Roku forcing credit card for HBO MAX... but I am already a subscriber

Jump to solution

Go to top menu, logout (YOU MUST LOGOUT and there is no indicator to tell you to do so)by going all the way to the right (this may be nested; keep going right/down).

Go back to Home. 

Try to watch a video (any video), and the app will allow you to login under your existing credentials (you will need to login via computer).

As an aside, the Roku interface is much worse than (eg) the Xbox one is (they look similar, but work differently). But at least it works. If I had to guess, the Roku version is better than your Iphone version. I can't even imagine watching videos on a phone rather than a TV (well, I can imagine it, but I can imagine H E L L as well).

Roku will never tell you this, as it is in their best interests that you login under Roku. I'm surprised they allow you to do so even under the above "cloak", though I guess the better business bureau would frown on them if they prevented it.

0 Kudos
Tcollier
Level 7

Why am I being asked to subscribe when I already have set up an account

Jump to solution

I subscribed for hbo max thru Roku.  When I try to use on another tv in my home it wants me to subscribe again?  Why isn’t it seeing I have a subscription?  

0 Kudos
grayjaso1
Level 10

Re: Why am I being asked to subscribe when I already have set up an account

Jump to solution

if you’re using a stick,  I had to click on the info icon at the top of the HBO Max home page, then scroll down to the info menu and all the way to the right to select the ‘sign out’ option.  I then got out of the HBO Max app to the Roku Home Screen, then restarted the stick.  After that, I was able to start the HBO Max app, click on my profile to enter the HBO Max Home Screen, then click on any video to get a sign in prompt option.  You should be able to use your HBO Max signin on this new Roku device.

0 Kudos
grayjaso1
Level 10

Re: Why am I being asked to subscribe when I already have set up an account

Jump to solution

For a tv, I assume it would also require a similar sign out/off and restart sequence before you can login with your existing subscription.

0 Kudos
dh23
Level 8

View HBOMax through Roku Using XFinity Credentials

Jump to solution

Hi, I now have access to HBOMax through my Xfinity subscription.  I previously signed up for HBOMax through Roku, but have cancelled that subscription.  I would like to watch HBOMax through Roku using my xfinity credentials (I have never used those through Roku).  When I launch HBOMax the only option I see is to subscribe through Roku using a pin, there's no option to sign up using Xfinity credentials.  I've tried deleting the HBOMax channel, unplugging Roku device, reloading HBOMax, and still just see Subscribe (Roku pin is prompted) option.  Anyone have suggestions?  Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
Jahoolie333
Level 8

Re: HBO Max app - login option not available for existing subscriptions?

Jump to solution

Update on our ongoing issues NOT being able to watch HBO Max we purchased through Roku.

I can now log out.

Can't sign back in.

We get a window that says it sees our Roku purchase. So that's progress, right?! WRONG.

When we use our Roku user name and password is says there is an error in our information. I just signed in to the Roku web page and here using our user name and password. So, what error?

I (for the zillion'th time) uninstalled and reinstalled the app. It's crashing again.

UNCLE.

Roku should be penalized for their poor business practices here. $14.99 of my money with NO PRODUCT DELIVERED is fraud. Plain and simple. Then add no support to help us fix the error. NEGLIGENCE pure and simple.

My next step will be to contact my bank and report the charges as FRAUD. I'm not paying for this without going down with a fight. I've spent HOURS trying to resolve the problem and, sure, it's only $14.99. But if we consumers don't fight, corporations run away with our money, laughing all the way to the bank, and that's not okay with me. Is it okay with you?

0 Kudos
grayjaso1
Level 10

Jump to solution

I got on the HBO Max chat:  https://help.hbomax.com/ContactUs  and they're starting to field the HBO Max app issues on the Roku devices.  I chatted with them for a bit about some of the HBO Max signin issues we're encountering and if you aren't finding the answers you need in the Community threads on these issues, try the HBO Max tech support chat.  They said they couldn't promise anything as these issues are so new and different HBO Max tech reps might try to kick it back to Roku to get it out of their queue. MIght be worth a try for some.  After scanning a few related threads, it seems one of the main unresolved issues has to do with HBO (or Max?) subscriptions purchased through Roku vs. another source (e.g., HBO Max directly, AT&T or other 3rd parties).  I have never purchased any channel directly through Roku so I have nothing to offer for those folks.  The bad news is that the HBO Max folks probably won't be knowledgeable of the nuances of channel purchases via a Roku account.  However, it sounds like whatever HBO services have been purchased this way in the past, the recent HBO Max deal will eliminate this method of purchasing HBO Max.  Since I purchase my services outside of Roku and just use the apps, this will be normal for me, but not for those Roku users who purchase all/most of their channels via their Roku account.  For all of the pain of this past week, I'm guessing most of the HBO Max related issues will be resolved in the next couple of weeks and we'll move on to our next mountaintop.  Good luck to all.

0 Kudos
dh23
Level 8

Re: View HBOMax through Roku Using XFinity Credentials

Jump to solution

Think I solved my own problem.  Downloaded HBOMax App onto my ipad and then said I wanted to use Xfinity credentials to cover payment.  When I did that using the email address everyone (Roku, xfinity, HBO) already had as part of my sign-in, they said that the account existed and asked if I wanted to link accounts.  I said yes.  They sent a one-time code to the related email to punch into my HBOMax app to link the accounts and the app worked.  Then I went back to Roku and did the remove/re-add channel one more time and now it works.

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 13

Jump to solution

@grayjaso1 wrote:

Installed HBO Max app, but it doesn't provide a login option for existing HBO Max subscriptions.  Am I missing a menu or doing something wrong?  Maybe the Roku flavor of the app isn't fully realized?  If anyone has figured this out, please advise.  Thank you!

If you already subscribe to HBO on your Roku device, the channel will automatically update to HBO Max. 

https://blog.roku.com/hbo-max

0 Kudos