Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nidandragon77
Reel Rookie

How to fix no sound or audio from HBO Max channel – other apps are fine

Jump to solution

I'm able tp log onto the Roku HBO Max app, but there is no audio for anything I try to play. All of our other Roku apps have sound (Hulu, Prime, Netflix, etc). I also confirmed that there are no issues with HBO Max in general because we were able to watch it on XBox and had no audio issues. We tried restarting the Roku and even adding a new HBO Max profile. No luck. I believe this was pushed out just today. I'm thinking this new app has a flaw. Hopefully, someone sees this at Roku and pushes out a fix for the audio issue. Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nidandragon77
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max app has no sound

Jump to solution

Hello. I resolved the issue myself. I searched for just general audio issues in the roku community and found this.

Go to Settings -> Audio -> HDMI -> and set to PCM - Stereo.

What was weird for us is the audo issue was only affecting the new HBO Max app and the audio in the older apps worked fine. I am thinking that maybe some of the newer apps require different audio settings. FYI, the sound is also working in our older apps with the PCM - Stereo setting. The setting we had previously was Auto detect

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
nidandragon77
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello. I resolved the issue myself. I searched for just general audio issues in the roku community and found this.

Go to Settings -> Audio -> HDMI -> and set to PCM - Stereo.

What was weird for us is the audo issue was only affecting the new HBO Max app and the audio in the older apps worked fine. I am thinking that maybe some of the newer apps require different audio settings. FYI, the sound is also working in our older apps with the PCM - Stereo setting. The setting we had previously was Auto detect

Jump to solution

That worked!!!! You're a GENIUS!

tophats32

Jump to solution

I can't even find settings in hbo max though??

Edit: nvm, it's settings via my roku, fixed. Ty!

0 Kudos
magomes24
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You're an absolute genius! I had an ever so slightly different problem in that there was sound but it was all very loud, warbled and distorted. This fixed it!!

Thank you!

bparry1052

Jump to solution

Fixed it! Now tracking around to other channels to see its effect.

0 Kudos
mferring1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a question though. If you change the Roku generic audio setting to "stereo" from Auto, doesn't that mean that you no longer get surround sound for any application? Doesn't seem like a good trade. Would rather stream from my iphone via airplay.

Do I misunderstand this?

Thanks for your thoughts.

0 Kudos
Jrglasser

Jump to solution

That worked! Thank you so much!!

0 Kudos
tpslade

Jump to solution

You are correct. You lose full surround sound. This is like an issue I had several years ago with another app on Roku. 

I think it may be an audio codec issue.  I had HBOMax through YouTube TV since May of last year, before the native app was released. It was working fine until November. Something changed with HBO and CW around that time. Neither of them worked for VOD after November sometime, until I changed audio to stereo. Obviously the same issues exists for the app. 

My guess is that the issue is with any VOD Warner Media (parent company) apps or channels. It only happens with VOD, not with standard programing (Warner Media channels that aren't VOD, but regularly timed shows and movies).

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you! Works fine!

0 Kudos