Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ehannon
Level 7

Re: HBO Max Not working

Jump to solution

also not working for us. We have a Roku stick. I don't know how to get the model info but we are seeing the same problems described here and none of the solutions listed are working for us. 

0 Kudos
LevonneB05
Level 7

Jump to solution

Having the same problem on both my devices 

0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 13

Jump to solution

Ours works intermittently on my TCL 43S525.. lots of crashing back to the home screen. Works great on my Fire Stick.. GUI looks better on the Fire Stick as well.

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 12

Jump to solution

I don't see how this can be fixed on the older Roku sticks like the 3500x. Let me explain...

I have a 2020 Roku Ultra and a Roku 3 box in service right now. HBO Max works fine on both of those.

I dug out my bag of older Roku gear, and sure enough I had a Roku 3500x stick in my "archive" of stuff. I connected it up. It was still running OS 7.x on it, and had a lot of older apps I had since deleted. The first thing I needed to do was to update the OS to 9.4. After that, a reboot, and then updated all of my current apps on it. HBO Max took the place of HBO Go.

HBO Max struggles mightily to even load. I can click on my profile on the 3500x and it will load most of the UI, but eventually just stops and exits back to the home screen.

In my view, this app most likely requires more RAM and more CPU power than sticks like the 3500x can provide. 

We've seen people here posting "empty the cache" fixes and opening titles without going through the app startup.  But that's enough right there to tell everyone that this app wants too much RAM and/or caching storage and/or cpu power. So, how is that fixed, particularly by Roku as some are demanding?

If Roku erred here, it was putting these older Roku stick models on the approved list for the app, if they're the ones who did this

I don't see any way to "fix" this other than having HBO write a "light version" of Max - a la "Not So Max" - that doesn't demand the resources, and/or Roku writing a special version of the OS that dumps the cache before the app tries to run. and other similar tricks.

But honestly, it's time to upgrade these older sticks to something more powerful and with more RAM / cache storage. That's what it really comes down to in the end. Perhaps Roku could offer 3500x (and other similar sticks) a discount on an upgrade. They've done that before.

Bertie01
Level 9

Jump to solution

That is pretty much the conclusion I've come to also.   I would like to point out that the HBO Max support folks should have tested their app on all Roku devices and stated up-front the minimum system requirements for their app on the Roku platform as opposed to the user community spending all of these hours and frustration troubleshooting it for them with less tools than they have as developers. 

I also would point out that when using the HBO Max app on the Express and Premier devices I haven't seen any real increased functionality in their app over the myriad of other apps I run on Roku on like devices.   If it's an issue with RAM and/or CPU as we suspect then maybe their application design and coding lacks in efficiencies.  I realize there are some added features on the higher-end Roku end devices, but I'm comparing app to app on like Roku devices, and I commonly run a myriad of apps across three different Roku device types, being Express and Premier in addition to the Streaming Stick device, that work fine on all three, albeit with less options in volume leveling, etc., on the Streaming Stick as per the feature set for each device.

Thanks all for everyone's input and help.

Dcollinsrn
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thank you bertie01 and heyitsrick -

I'd been coming to that conclusion - tho disappointed in roku for not testing this upgrade- and simply not upgrading older systems at all. I worked fine with hbo now but now I can't go back.  As bertie01 says - there really isn't that much extra functionality in the newer sticks nor much difference in functionality between different services on user end.  

In fact i feel the UI of roku has remained very limited for a long time.  So if I am being forced to upgrade my stick I'll probably look at alternatives to roku at this point because of this. 

0 Kudos
Bertie01
Level 9

Jump to solution

Well, actually, I see it as being more of a shortfall on the part of the app developers and testers for the HBO Max app.   I have four screens full of streaming apps that work fine, minus an occasional glitch, across all three of my Roku device types.   The only app that is requiring an upgraded device is the HBO Max app, and there was no limitation on Roku device type to be found anywhere from my cable provider, AT&T U-verse, or anywhere I could find on the HBO Max online site stipulating such.    Obviously, it would be expected that both the device maker and the app maker participate in integration testing before a roll out to customers, but I think that since HBO Max is the only app out of all of the other streaming apps I have used that won't run on the Streaming Sticks that the onus is more on them .... in my humble opinion.  This is even more so true for people like you who were subscribed to a prior version of HBO.   If the prior HBO worked on your existing Roku equipment they should have made sure the new HBO Max version would also, or at least made you aware of higher minimum system requirements for the new version before they did away with the old app and took your payment for the new version.

0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Bertie01 wrote:

Well, actually, I see it as being more of a shortfall on the part of the app developers and testers for the HBO Max app.   I have four screens full of streaming apps that work fine, minus an occasional glitch, across all three of my Roku device types.   The only app that is requiring an upgraded device is the HBO Max app, and there was no limitation on Roku device type to be found anywhere from my cable provider, AT&T U-verse, or anywhere I could find on the HBO Max online site stipulating such.    Obviously, it would be expected that both the device maker and the app maker participate in integration testing before a roll out to customers, but I think that since HBO Max is the only app out of all of the other streaming apps I have used that won't run on the Streaming Sticks that the onus is more on them .... in my humble opinion.  This is even more so true for people like you who were subscribed to a prior version of HBO.   If the prior HBO worked on your existing Roku equipment they should have made sure the new HBO Max version would also, or at least made you aware of higher minimum system requirements for the new version before they did away with the old app and took your payment for the new version.

I agree with you. I know many would rather blame Roku for this - and who knows what Roku's participation was in this process. But in the end, it's the app that's not working right where most - if not all - other apps do work.

Dcollinsrn
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thank you bertie01 - this is a perspective and understanding of the apps beyond what I have. Appreciate the input. 

Rmel
Level 7

Jump to solution

TCL 65" roku tv.. Hbo max is unwatchable..

Shudders like crazy, the picture that is...

Audio is fine

0 Kudos