Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheLoanArranger
Channel Surfer

Re: HBO Max Application Error Code 32

Jump to solution

It doesn't mean that it might not be a firewall issue.  Just because one app uses a certain protocol or url/dns entry, doesn't mean all apps use the same one.  They could direct traffic to different servers, depending on the device, or use a different port, depending on the device.

Bryand
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Exact same results here at my house - HBO Max works fine on all devices except Roku.
I connected my Roku to my phone hotspot and HBO Max worked!

This means that the HBO Max app for Roku uses new and different ports than all of the other implementations and breaks on many peoples home networks.

HBO needs to fix their app asap!

Azalin

Jump to solution

HBO has refused to reply to  my ticket opened with them with anything other than attempts to close the case.

I doubt this is a Roku issue, since all the other apps work fine.  I can also confirm that my firewall is passing all the connections to their AWS platform where it is hosted.

I have 4 Roku devices that aren't working with this app.  Very frustrating.

Worganhunter
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I tried updating my HBO Max App last night - Low and behold... I got an update...I no longer get the error code 32...Now I get an error code 104 - still says lost connection to the server.

I have an acquaintance that told me to call the Public Service Commissioner in my State... and ask how to file a grievance on the Federal level... he thinks it falls under the Interstate Commerce Act...but he made clear that he only does Wills and Probate...so I'm not going to hold him to the advice.  I want to know how they are going to credit us for the time the app has been down.  This may not be a ROKU issue, but ROKU has got to have a better communication conduit to HBOMax than we do.  Calling the PSC ... will update

0 Kudos
TheLoanArranger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I agree - this is terribly frustrating.  When you post a request for help in this Roku message board for help, someone comes by from Roku and says this is an HBO Max problem.  When you open a request for help with HBO Max, they respond with this is a Roku problem.  Honestly, I don't know who's at fault here, just that it is one of either Roku (of which I have six devices) or HBO Max (who I pay monthly for their service).  Either one should be trying to help their customers, even if it means [gasp!] that they need to talk to each other and test to see what is going on.  I still think it is likely an issue with firewalls blocking whatever IP/URL that the HBO Max service uses to authenticate from a Roku device, as it only is affecting Roku devices from within each of our networks.  I would gladly change my firewall settings if I knew what needed to be done (for example, creating an exclusion for any given URL/IP/Domain/Subdomains), but to do so, someone from Roku or HBO Max needs to let us know what those exceptions might be.  I am an IT professional, and am will to be a guinea pig if someone shares that information with us, and will share back here what results are successful (if, any).  However, we all need someone from Roku and/or HBO Max to get us that informaton.  Please don't just dismiss us and say it isn't a Roku problem - it only affects Roku devices.  It is a Roku/HBO Max joint problem.  Please actually help us!

0 Kudos
TheLoanArranger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This isn't a solution, nor does this solve the problem.  HBO Max says it's a Roku problem, while Roku says it's an HBO Max problem.  All we know is that neither Roku nor HBO Max are actually trying to resolve the problem, and that is nonsense and horrific customer service.  Is it too much to ask for either side to actually look into the problem, or talk to one another, on behalf of their joint customers in order to actually find a solution?  REALLY?

0 Kudos
RKUser7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Decided to do some troubleshooting on my network. I decided to try connecting my Roku to my phone hotspot as one user suggested and it did work while on my hotspot. So, it was fairly clear that it didn't like something on my network. Though, I will note that there still must have been an update on the Roku or HBO Max app or servers that caused it to stop working in the first place. I will also note that the HBO Max app on my Nvidia shield and Samsung TV both work without issue on my network. The issues are only seen on the Roku device.

Here is what I tried.

1. Switched the Roku device from a 5GHz to a 2.4GHz wifi connection. The issue was still there.
  2. Opened up my firewall to allow all ports outbound from the Roku device. The issue was still there.
  3. Put a bypass in my Squid proxy server for the Roku device. The issue was fixed.

So, it would seem for me, the issue was that the HBO max app no longer liked traffic going through a proxy server. After bypassing my Squid proxy server on my network, I no longer have issues with the HBO Max app on my Roku. My assumption is there was an update on the HBO Max app or servers that caused it to no longer accept traffic going through a proxy. I'm leaning towards it being an update on the app side that started the issues, as again I stated that the HBO max app on my other devices had continued to work, even while going through my proxy server.

0 Kudos
Maxamillion351
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Interesting, disabled Squid on my pfsense box(even though traffic should have not been using it) and that fixed the issue on my side too. Seems like the HBO max app is very sensitive to any sort of network monitoring or latency. Seems to be multiple fixes. 

0 Kudos
Worganhunter
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have decided to try and move HBO Max away from the stand-alone Roku app and open using Amazon Video or the Apple TV+ application (if available) until such time as the Powers that Be can decide to fix the problem.  Having to call Sophos for them to go in and diagnose which settings need to be changed is way above my pay grade and to have our IT vendor do it...well, cheaper to move it to another application

0 Kudos
TheLoanArranger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RKUser7 

This does seem to indicate that it uses a different URL/IP/Domain/Subdomain with HBO Max on Roku than is used for the  HBO Max website and other devices.  That said, if someone from Roku or HBO Max could tell us what that different URL/IP/Domain/Subdomain information is, it would be pretty easy to create exceptions in everyone's firewall device.  Please, someone at Roku, can you give us that information?