Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: HBO Max. It simply is wrong of Roku not to figure this out

Jump to solution

@Psilobite wrote:

The amount of money BOTH sides must be losing to this idiocy...

Yeah, I wonder.  I'm sure it's not insignificant.

I bet it's 80/20 though, on losing-cash, for the HBO/ATT side, if I had to guess.

The amount of people who canceled or didn't subscribe to HBO(Max) is probably a LOT larger, than those who didn't purchase a Roku, as such.

It'll be interesting to see, as the US-holiday season approaches, how it plays out (as we've noted, Peacock already "saw the light" here).  I think HBO is going to want to sell subscriptions, to Roku/FireTV owners again, or let their mobile (ATT) customers use their "free subs", we'll see...

-pete
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Roku stock hit $200 the other day.  It has been climbing since they signed the deal with Comcast/Universal/NBC for Peacock so it may motivate them to give AT&T another goose to settle on a deal for HBOMAX.  HBOMAX is the APPLE TV+ when it comes to interest from my co-workers.  Meh.  The easiest solution seems to be to add HBOMAX as a stand alone app and as an app inside the Roku Channels and let the consumer decide which to purchase.  They'll each get a percentage on both.  Maybe not what delusional AT&T/WarnerMedia/HBOMAX thinks its worth but the usual 30/70 split. I have changed SHOWTIME 3 times over the years when getting a better deal for a channel I could probably cancel and rarely miss.  First I purchased directly from Showtime app at $6.99 promo that increased to $8.99 then I switched to Amazon Prime to get 5 percent off after Showtime raised their price to $10.99.  Had considered cancelling and then found the Roku Channel bundle with EPIX and Showtime for $12.99 per month.  Since we now get HBOMAX free from our AT&T phone plan I can wait this out since I am no longer paying $11.99 per month on the promo for HBOMAX that only streams as HBO on my Rokus.  So far there is nothing on HBOMAX that makes me want to watch on my Android tablet, iPhone or laptop instead of my 65 inch Roku TVs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Psilobite wrote:

I doubt either side is losing much money. Roku is still selling devices (I watched someone buying one today at Sam's) and a significantly large number of HBO Max subscribers are free accounts given to puff up the numbers, so HBO doesn't care if we can use it or not. They don't lose money if we don't, and they weren't counting on making much money if we did. The only "loss" for either is the theoretical subscribers who would sign up if HBO Max were on Roku. That loss is hurting HBO far more than it is Roku, I am sure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@drbruce2 wrote:

In spite of what's being said, Roku is still, by far, the best streaming box available. I have an Amazon device which was as slow as molasses and use unfriendly, and a chrome device which if it got any slower,  would be slower than the pitch drop experiment. I have HBO Max through AT&T, so I guess I'll have to wait until there is an app to access.

It is 128 days since the kerfuffle began, so it would be nice if there was an agreement before the next millennium or the Miami Dolphins go back to the Super Bowl!

By the way-Why are there a gazillion versions of Roku now?

I will say the new Chromecast with Google TV rocks.  First thing I noticed was speed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yep, all the free-ATT-HBO subs make ANY numbers-count sort of a joke, at least near-term, if you ask me.

I used to get HBO(Go), when I had ATT (almost 20 years, until they got so BYOD-unfriendly that it got ridiculous), and now that we're on TMo, we get Netflix free, so the 12-bucks for HBOMax is offset, either way...

As others have said, the HBO(Max or not) stream is just sort of "meh".  It's got some good shows, perhaps, but most are available elsewhere, and unless you're on a steady-diet of season-episodes one/them, perhaps at the same or lower cost.   The deal with Peacock/Roku, has really put a lot of pressure on HBO/ATT, I suspect, as the "lone major provider" not on Roku, at this point, with the US-holiday season fast approaching.

Right now, we're watching a couple of series on HBO(Max), so the 12/month makes sense.  Perhaps in the near-future, we won't be, and we'll drop it, until it becomes economically balanced, again.  This the (unfortunate, IMO) nature of the current streaming-mess we're in here, with zero laws or protections for consumers, it's a game of whack-a-mole, on any given month/provider.

-pete
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

AT&T Can't Afford To Keep HBO Max Off Roku and Fire TV 

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Entrwriter wrote:

I will say the new Chromecast with Google TV rocks.  First thing I noticed was speed.

Well, you are so right about speed-even with DSL.  I am waiting for the Ethernet Adaptor to be shipped to me.  I want it to really maximize whatever increase in speed it will do.  Just like the Roku Ultra right beside it which is already hooked up to my router with it's own Ethernet Cable. 

We will see........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@pgrey2 wrote:

@Psilobite wrote:

Yeah, I wonder.  I'm sure it's not insignificant.

I bet it's 80/20 though, on losing-cash, for the HBO/ATT side, if I had to guess.

The amount of people who canceled or didn't subscribe to HBO(Max) is probably a LOT larger, than those who didn't purchase a Roku, as such.

It'll be interesting to see, as the US-holiday season approaches, how it plays out (as we've noted, Peacock already "saw the light" here).  I think HBO is going to want to sell subscriptions, to Roku/FireTV owners again, or let their mobile (ATT) customers use their "free subs", we'll see...

Wall Street Journal just reported that WarnerMedia will be laying people off by the thousands.  It seems like AT&T will be "balancing" the books for Q4 by getting rid of the same people that made HBO successful in the past.  It is awful when management sees cutting jobs as a better way to show profitability than just supporting the media player with the majority marketshare.  I wonder how much longer they will keep playing find the pea by sliding coconut shells around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

The new 2020 Roku devices arrive October 15.  Will the lack of HBOMAX app hurt sales?

I doubt it.  Everyone has the 2019 models on special this week to make room for the new.

I really like the new Streambar but wish it had an ethernet port.  At $129.99 I may get it for 

a bedroom TV and give the Premiere in there to my niece.  My HBOMAX is free from AT&T iPhone service so we can wait until they come to their senses.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

The supposed solution you are offering for HBO Max does not work on my Roku Ultra Device! They do not offer the HBO NOW app!!! It does not exist! Please try again!!

0 Kudos