Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

HBO max will win either way because roku is a steaming box. I can buy a Google chromecast and ditch my roku (3 rokus ) I did it with my fire tvs 3 of them. Make the deal roku. 

Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

But how does anyone outside these two companies know if it's Roku/Amazon being unreasonable, or if HBO is taking a hard line and maybe even reducing compensation? We don't, so for everyone that wants access to the new content, it's a wait and see situation. Yes, these parties should have had it all worked out prior to rollout, but that's what can happen during negotiations. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

But how does anyone outside these two companies know if it's Roku/Amazon being unreasonable, or if HBO is taking a hard line and maybe even reducing compensation? We don't, so for everyone that wants access to the new content, it's a wait and see situation. Yes, these parties should have had it all worked out prior to rollout, but that's what can happen during negotiations. 

Considering the likes of Apple, Google and even Samsung are on board, tells me they are not. None of these companies would stand for them trying to reduce the deal.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Maro wrote:

It's showing availability on Hulu.  So if it doesn't show up on Roku soon, I will cancel the HBO through Roku and pay for it through Hulu.

CAUTION:

You can subscribe through HULU with the HBO add-on and you will get HBO Max as of today. BUT, to access the newer 'Max' content that is part of HBO Max you have to install the standalone HBO Max app and use your HULU credentials to login. You can not add the HBO Max app on a Roku device as of today. So, you can sign up for it through HULU, but if you are doing so on a Roku device, you will not have access to the 'Max' content. You can still access the HBO content.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I agree with you on that we don’t know who’s fault it is. Personally my opinion is if it’s not on roku I will get new streaming players to watch HBO max on them. Chromecast 4k and Apple TV 4K have the service. 

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

We do know who is at fault.

• Roku is at fault.
  • AT&T / HBO Max is at fault.

They are both at fault for doing a disservice to paying customers.

This is about money and greed. There is enough of that to go around to all parties. There are no 'saints' here, but there are a couple of 'sinners'.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Per Joe Flint and Lillian Rizzo of the Wall Street Journal:

The row with Roku, a connected-television platform that serves as a gateway to streaming services, is different. People familiar with the matter said Roku was still in a standstill with HBO Max over the terms of a carriage agreement.

Typically, Roku takes a cut of a service’s subscription fees and gets to sell ads in return for distribution. There are disputes on both those fronts with HBO Max, which next year will introduce an ad-supported version of the platform.”

All in all, it’s the same kind of Goliath v Goliath struggle that cable channels and cable providers always engage in - the sort of thing that contributed to our desire to cut cords in the first place. Each side thinks the other can’t live without them, and tries to use their leverage to get a bigger piece of the pie.

This is where having more than one streaming device comes in handy. Until AT&T, Amazon, and Roku stop crying in the sandbox and make nice, I can use my Xbox One to watch HBO Max on my TV. For that matter, I can use the same account to access HBO Now content on my Roku.

Tags (5)
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Sorry, but according to the Wall Street Journal, Amazon is also bickering with AT&T, and has not yet agreed to allowing HBO Max’s app to appear on Fire TV devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

The parents are fighting in front of the kids. We just have to let them work it out.

HBO Max’s 80 Million Household Dead Spot: Why Streamer Isn’t on Roku or Amazon Fire TV 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, please.  Roku please add HBO Max.  You will lose subscribers if you don't.