Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j_m_
Level 11

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@vike wrote:

@emclusk wrote:

Unacceptable. Time to ditch Roku for Apple TV boxes if this isn't fixed soon.


Seems kinda like cutting off your leg because you're tired of a toe ring; if you're worried about channels, apps, etc. (much less cost) Apple would be immeasurably worse.  If I was going to ditch Roku & Amazon, I'd probably just go with an Invidia Shield and run Android TV.  HBO MAX is working fine there - been watching it on an Sony Smart TV w/Android since the launch.

Again, "fixing" this is really up to AT&T.  The bottom line is that HBO NOW is working fine on Roku today, and AT&T could easily have renamed the app and added MAX content, and Roku would have no say in that, but for some reason that wasn't good enough.  Instead they want to change the way the app operates in Roku's environment, and for that they need to reach a new deal.  So yes, Roku is unwilling to accept the new app without that deal, but it's also true that AT&T doesn't want to deliver the new content through the existing app.  Both parties bear a share of the blame, but I mainly hold AT&T accountable for withholding MAX content from HBO NOW subscribers when they had been promising it to them for months.

I'm just glad I didn't take that discount deal offered in May and been left paying MAX money for the NOW service - everyone on those 12mo deals should certainly be allowed to drop them.  Once HBO is off my cable package in the next week or so, I'll just ignore HBO MAX until they fix this nonsense.


I’m not sure why you assume AT&T does want to deliver the new content through the existing app. On Android and iOS, the existing HBO Now app became HBO Max with an update (the package name is still com.hbo.hbonow on Android). The update was necessary to update the UI etc., but it is still the same app (you did not have to download a separate, new app), and there is no longer any HBO Now app. That is almost certainly what AT&T is ready to do on Roku (they are on record as stating the app is ready), but it hasn’t happened. Why? Roku has a certification process for apps and updates (so, yes, Roku does have a say), and most likely Roku won’t approve the update because it wants something from AT&T in return—probably a cut of subscriptions through the app or direct subscriptions through Roku. You can try to spin this however you want, but the hold up here is with Roku, not AT&T.

blade_005
Level 14

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@j_m_ wrote:

but the hold up here is with Roku, not AT&T.

It is with both. Numerous articles have clearly stated that both Roku and Amazon want to continue to have access to the HBO Max app inside of their video subscription channels as they have done with the HBO NOW app for years. HBO Max only wants customers accessing their content from a standalone app.

  • AT&T says "you want video channel access as you and your customers have had in the past and you don't get the HBO Max at all." - (AT&T at fault.)
  • Roku and Amazon say, "you won't allow video channel access to our customers of HBO Max and a standalone app version and we won't allow HBO Max on our platform at all." - (Roku and Amazon at fault.)
  • Even if the two stances above get resolved they are still likely fighting over what percentage each gets of subscriptions and advertising revenue. - (AT&T, Roku and Amazon at fault.)

If you want to ditch your Roku devices, that is understandable. But this is not a one-sided issue or fault. There is plenty to go around.

 

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
j_m_
Level 11

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@blade_005 wrote:

@j_m_ wrote:

but the hold up here is with Roku, not AT&T.

If you want to ditch your Roku devices, that is understandable. But this is not a one-sided issue or fault. There is plenty to go around.

 


It really is one-sided, except apparently in your world where you are okay with Roku becoming just another cable provider that is gatekeeping how content providers provide content on their platform, instead of a neutral platform that it used to be. HBO Max has an app/update ready. Roku allows all kinds of apps (less so than they used to though) without all of this nonsense, but it won’t allow this update by a big player because it sees $$$. That is Roku gatekeeping, being greedy, and changing from what drew many of us to them in the first place. And the fact that other platforms were able to work through this (even Comcast and Apple) further shows that this is on Roku. I’m not going to get into Amazon because at least they use a standard Android platform and allow sideloading, so it is easy to get HBO Max on a Fire TV anyway.

mmi1440
Level 8

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@j_m_ wrote:

If you want to ditch your Roku devices, that is understandable. But this is not a one-sided issue or fault. There is plenty to go around.

It really is one-sided, except apparently in your world where you are okay with Roku becoming just another cable provider that is gatekeeping how content providers provide content on their platform, instead of a neutral platform that it used to be.


Its mostly Roku's fault.  When I bought Roku devices I did so expecting it to be a neutral device that worked reasonably well and would allow me to access all of the streaming services.  And, up until now, it has been that.  But Roku blocking or slowing down HBO MAX is because they aren't being a neutral platform, they are as the other person mentioned gate keeping.  Almost certainly because they want money.

And here is the thing, if push comes to shove it will most likely be Roku that loses out.  Everyone who subscribes to HBO, such as myself, is going to demand having HBO MAX.  Lots of other people who aren't current HBO subscribers likely will as well.  I know personally I'll dump Roku if needed, but I'm going to have HBO MAX.

If Roku stops being a neutral platform where *ALL* streaming services are welcome I don't want them anyway.  That's a deal killer for me.

 

mmi1440
Level 8

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@Italdre9 wrote:

https://blog.tivo.com/what-to-watch/weekend-watching-june-5-7/

$50 for a new TiVo 4k dongle with HBO Max


BEAUTIFUL!  Problem solved, just ordered a Tivo Stream 4k.  I had Tivo before there was streaming and loved it.  Assuming this device works well (everything indicates it will) I'll be permanently dumping Roku and switching all off my TVs to Tivo.  Thanks or being a pain in the rear Roku.

RukoPOW
Level 8

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

“I know personally I'll dump Roku if needed, but I'm going to have HBO MAX.“

Quoting from above, I think this summarizes the situation perfectly. There is not a universe where I don’t have HBO Max,  so Roku can either let me have the app or I will switch devices very soon. It’s as simple as that.

Does Roku expect us to just forget about HBO Max or have endless patience, especially during COVID? They think too highly of themselves.

blade_005
Level 14

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@j_m_ wrote:

@blade_005 wrote:

@j_m_ wrote:

but the hold up here is with Roku, not AT&T.

If you want to ditch your Roku devices, that is understandable. But this is not a one-sided issue or fault. There is plenty to go around.

 


It really is one-sided, except apparently in your world where you are okay with Roku becoming just another cable provider that is gatekeeping how content providers provide content on their platform, instead of a neutral platform that it used to be.


If you wish to disagree with my position on why there is enough 'fault/blame' to go around on all parties that is okay. But, please don't state a position for me that is inaccurate. I am not okay with Roku 'blocking' apps from their platform. You probably know that, but it made your point a bit more dramatic. If I were to do the same with your viewpoint it would seem that no content provider would ever be at fault in a dispute with a streaming provider and it would always be the fault of the streaming 'gatekeeper'.

I get that we all want HBO Max on our Roku platforms. AT&T/HBO is seeking to change a business model with Roku and Amazon that they encouraged for years by removing the ability to subscribe to HBO Max from within video channels. There are millions of customers that have chosen that model for their subscription. This obviously was a big ask/change on their part and should have been resolved months ago and long before a launch date. Both sides are at fault for that.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
Texastornadogsl
Level 7

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

I am fed up with not being able to watch hbomax on roku maybe Apple TV will let me watch it.  Apple is a class organization I bet I can watch it there. Bye bye

0 Kudos
jackS22
Level 7

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

Please add HBO MAX to your line up . I realize its a negotiation but disappointed it is not available . I have 3 TCL? Roku tVs and two additional Roku premium devices. I have Alpple Tv but would like HBO MAX as an App please.

poligirl
Level 9

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

HBO just wants to be treated the same as Netflix and be an app. Why is Roku treating HBO differently? My patience with Roku is wearing thin at this point as we are still left out of HBO Max. Maybe time to change platforms.