Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

I did an advance purchase of HBO Max fully expecting it to be available on Roku.  I can get it on my PC and my Android phone, but not on Roku.  Not good enough.  Come on Roku/HBO, let's make this happen.  You are upsetting millions of subscribers and potential subscribers that rely on Roku to stream our favorite apps.  I can still get HBO Now, but I want my Max.  Make it happen, please.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

ROKU should get this on their device soon. I will definitely look for an alternative if major channels like this continue to be blocked.

Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@ConcernedUser wrote:

ROKU should get this on their device soon. I will definitely look for an alternative if major channels like this continue to be blocked.

How is it being blocked? HBO is negotiating with Roku over revenue sharing, most likely ad based. Roku isn't blocking them, nor is Roku "blocking" any other channels.

And HBO Max isn't available yet on the Fire TV devices either. Are you blaming Amazon for blocking it there?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I believe it is not available on a firestick either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

This isn't about technology and I imagine the HBO Max app for Roku has been ready for weeks if not months.

This is about licensing and profit sharing. Roku wants money from HBO. So Roku does not get off from blame in this.

Edit: Yup, this is about a distribution deal. ATT and Warner wanted to distribute HBO Max through the same distribution deal it had for HBO Now. Roku and Amazon want to cut a new distribution deal, since the new deal would be with WarnerMedia. And bottom line, Amazon and Roku are demanding a bigger piece of the pie.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-hbo-max-not-available-on-roku-amazon-fire-tv-2020-5

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

It's showing availability on Hulu.  So if it doesn't show up on Roku soon, I will cancel the HBO through Roku and pay for it through Hulu.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I never liked when Roku started defaulting to making me pay thru Roku to make it "easier". What is the point of that if they are using it to control me. I quit Comcast/Xfinity to get rid of this BS and now here I am right back in it. I should have subscribed direct. Now I can't even get HBO Max on my phone since my Roku sub doesn't expire until June 12th! So now they are controlling my access off Roku. This really pisses me off. I get not making the app available on Roku. That is up to them for whatever reason. But locking me out on my phone b/c I paid through Roku is utter BS. I blame ATT and Roku for this stupidity. I will definitely not ever pay for anything through Roku again (which is prob what ATT wants). And I have my doubts about continuing HBO. I was excited about this until this stupidity occurred. Why do I even have to know about this or jump through these asinine hoops...

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am very disappointed that today I cannot enjoy HBOmax on my Roku TV today.

Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Signed up for HBOMax subscription last week. Went to add channel today... it's not there. Came here to find out this pile of BS. Canceled HBOMax subscription.

Great job!

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Bingo shelleyp, this is more about Roku(and Amazon) wanting more money, just because HBO essentially just added more content to HBO NOW. I'd put the blame squarely on Roku here.