Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foist
Level 8

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

I hear what you're saying, but disagree.  HBO obviously wants to be on Roku.  It seems like either Roku is holding out for a larger cut of what I pay HBO for content, or Roku doesn't want me to be able to access HBO MAX content through a dedicated app from HBO, or whatever.  Maybe they want me to have to watch Roku promotions or wade through their content to get to the content I'm paying HBO for?  I don't know exactly the terms of the dispute, but I didn't buy a Roku so they could put up a gate between me and the content I've chosen to support. 

blade_005
Level 14

Jump to solution

@mmi1440 wrote:

We all paid Roku for our devices.  Roku already got paid.  If they make a little off streaming platforms fine, but they shouldn't be making much honestly.  Offering more streaming platforms costs them nothing.  Roku doesn't pay for the software development, Roku doesn't pay for any of our bandwidth, etc.

Roku makes little to no profit on hardware devices.

Their goal is not to make a 'little off streaming'. Their goal is to make the lion share of their revenue and profit after the hardware sale. It is one of the reasons we are where we are. Roku and HBO Max need each other, they are just fighting over how much each gets. They obviously believe this short term disruption to their users is worth the fight for both of their long term goals.

I get it if you want to leave and choose another streaming device. But, they all for the most part treat their hardware as loss leaders to get you in their ecosystem. And then all participants start fighting over how much each gets off of monetizing our eyeballs. Pick a new streaming device that suits your needs today and it is likely that in 6 to 12 months they will be in a dispute with a content provider you want on their device. Rinse and Repeat.....

Our best mitigation strategy for the near term is to have 2 or 3 streaming hardware options, knowing that at any given point in time it is likely we won't have all streaming content choices we desire on one single platform for any significant length of time.

Don't like it, but it is where we are for now.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
CtDeeJay
Level 8

Jump to solution

It's a reference to both companies. They both decided, magically, that the business they'd been in for years is no longer one they're happy with. Sort of like when a baby decides s/he's done with one toy and starts screaming for another. Yeah, it's childish. 

JohnAdcox
Level 8

Jump to solution

Exactly. And we're the ones they've decided they don't give a rat's ass about. Notice the lack of response from Roku?

0 Kudos
mstabile
Level 7

Jump to solution

Wow, that's a severe reaction.  Why toss a Roku device that costs nothing to use and has so many other channels for viewing?  It will eventually get HBO Max, we just have to be patient in these CoVid-19 times.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JohnAdcox wrote:

Exactly. And we're the ones they've decided they don't give a rat's ass about. Notice the lack of response from Roku?

Well, that's standard procedure for Roku. They never discuss anything that isn't already deployed or sitting at the gate. It's frustrating sometimes trying to get info from them. Often they won't even tell the beta testers some of the details, even though they are all under a NDA.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jfletch47
Level 9

Jump to solution

You have just nailed my main issue with this whole mess.  I understand it is a negotiation and Roku may not want to share all of the details, but I would appreciate some kind of response from them.  Hey Roku...how about saying something to us.... even if it is just telling us to be patient and they are working with HBO Max to resolve.  An update would be a nice jesture.  In the meantime, I will continue to watch Max on PS4.

bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

I know Roku doesn't develop them...just allowS them to be uploaded and for us to use.  So either HBO still hasn’t developed the new Max to be used by Roku like they have for all other mobile devices...or Roku just hasn’t done an overnight upload of new apps so we can update the app ourselves.  Seems as simple as that.  

Either HBO doesn't like the deal Roku is offering, or the other way around. Fact is, HBO Max needs Roku far worse than Roku needs HBO. It's having the same problem with Amazon Fire, last I heard. The two biggest streaming services, also the two which have least need of it.

@Beachsidepad wrote:
0 Kudos
Themav318
Level 8

Jump to solution

No kidding! It also sucks that one app doesn’t have certain movies and shows like the other does. Frustrating!

0 Kudos
Wrclem
Level 8

Jump to solution

How is this a solution?  To mark this as solved shows the absolute ignorance of Roku to the wishes of their customers.    What started out as a visionary company had now become a joke. It comes down to greed on both sides.  @RokuDanny-R  you should be embarrassed by this response. #roku you need to improve customer service.