Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

What choice do I have,I can’t miss friends

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@steelybuffy wrote:

I am going to buy an Amazon Fire Stick since I can’t get HBO Max 

It's not on Amazon, either.

It sounds like it's not likely they're coming to Amazon any time soon.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/05/27/no-roku-amazon-fire-tv-hbo-maxs-debut-apple-and-googl...

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@steelybuffy wrote:

I tried using the Firestick for a while and it was just too complicated and slow.  I love my Roku Express!

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Can't get it there either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I copied the wrong link regarding Amazon, but a day or so ago, HBO said they thought they were close to a deal with Roku, but didn't expect Amazon coming anytime soon.

Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@hornakapopolis wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

Sure, they control the platform. But HBO has to create the new channel for HBO Max, or add its functionality to their existing channel. Roku doesn't have anything to do with that. 

So, you're saying HBO is sitting on an app for the Roku? With all due respect, that's ridiculous. If Roku's new policy of wanting a cut of subscriptions wasn't standing in the way, my guess would be that our HBONow apps would have been updated today, just like on other platforms. Or, I recall there was some other channel that released it's app before the service was ready. (Was it Disney+?) You don't think HBO was capable of doing either one of those?

Your answer was to ask HBO, not Roku, and that's not accurate, whether one sides with Roku or HBO over the issues with the agreement.

Here's a link to HBOMax/Roku info https://www.newsweek.com/hbo-max-roku-app-release-date-streaming-smart-tv-1506714 

...and here's a link where we almost didn't get to watch the Super Bowl. https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/1/21117919/roku-fox-apps-carriage-agreement-super-bowl-deal

It's that policy that's preventing HBOMax from appearing on the Roku. I would bet money that within the same hour it's sorted, HBOMax would appear. It's not that they haven't developed a channel.

Yes, HBO and Roku have to come to an agreement. My position remains that it's HBO that has control here. Sure, Roku wants it as soon as possible. But HBO is the one in control. And my statement is still accurate that HBO is responsible for the channel, not Roku. Sure, they may have it ready to go. But it's HBO that has it ready, not Roku.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am extremely disappointed that HBO Max is not available on Roku. I subscribed to HBO Max to be able to stream it on my Roku. Whatever the monetary issues, Roku needs to remedy this. Please don't tell me to contact HBO. Just settle with HBO and come to an agreement so we can use HBO Max on Roku.

Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@batmanuel wrote:

I am extremely disappointed that HBO Max is not available on Roku. I subscribed to HBO Max to be able to stream it on my Roku. Whatever the monetary issues, Roku needs to remedy this. Please don't tell me to contact HBO. Just settle with HBO and come to an agreement so we can use HBO Max on Roku.

We have no idea if it's HBO or Roku that is holding it up. My money would say it's HBO, but who knows? But I would still say you'd have more sway contacting HBO than Roku. They have more to gain/lose over this.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

It isn't available on Amazon's streaming devices either. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@steelybuffy wrote:

Bad news. You can't watch it with Fire either. Both Roku and Amazon Fire costumers are dealing with the same issue. It's bs. I'm not jumping on the blame HBO bandwagon. I don't care HOW it happens. I just want to stream services I PAY FOR on the device I bought to be able to stream on my TV. Roku is dropping the ball in my opinion. I mean, what's the problem with at least letting current HBO Now subscribers get an update to Max?