Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@KordKutter wrote:

Well, you feel it's all Roku's fault. Others feel it's all AT&T's fault. The truth likely falls somewhere in between. I personally don't care about the channel, but if all the information made public is accurate, I think AT&T is more in the wrong. My guess is it's going to be resolved one way or the other by Christmas. Either they'll break off talks, saying that it's not going to happen, or one side finally agrees with the other and it becomes available. AT&T says the have the channel ready to go, so if they do come to an agreement it should be available almost immediately. 

Are you saying it's OK for ROKU to be greedy and try to profit from AT&T's content? They are selling us devices that are capable of carrying all content, yet they are restricting what we can and cannot watch.

I'm sorry, but ROKU is just a streaming platform, and for the benefit of their paying device customers they should capitulate, and allow this app from AT&T to have free access. At zero profit if necessary. ROKU should not be attempting to become yet another cable TV service trying to derive revenue from content created by others. Raise the prices for their devices, if necessary, to improve their bottom line. That is the business they are good at and should stick to 100%.

No, I'm saying that if Roku simply requested the same contract that all their other major providers have agreed to, and that's what Roku is claiming, then it's AT&T that's being unreasonable. 

Roku is a business, same as AT&T. Roku needs more than just the sale of the hardware to be profitable. That's why they have sharing agreements with other providers, such as Netflix, Prime Video, etc. They have simply asked AT&T for the same consideration. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Myersta
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yup, I agree especially if AT&T wants access to Roku's vast amount of subscribers then it is only fair for Roku to get something out of it.

0 Kudos
LaLa72
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Myersta wrote:

Yup, I agree especially if AT&T wants access to Roku's vast amount of subscribers then it is only fair for Roku to get something out of it.

but I don't "subscribe" to Roku, I bought a lot of their devices--seven to be exact.  I used to subscribe to HBO via Roku so that Roku got a cut.  When Roku did not allow my HBO app to be updated to HBO Max like it was supposed to, I canceled my HBO Max subscription through Roku and started subscribing directly through HBO so that I could get access to all I was already paying for.  

poligirl
Level 9

Jump to solution

They already get something from HBO and always have. They want more. Meanwhile HBO is still charging its customers the same monthly amount. It's not hard to see who's greedy here.

And no, Netflix isn't on the Roku Channel, it's only stand alone and that's the deal HBO is asking for: the same deal as Netflix. But Roku is trying to force HBO to go into its Roku Channel unlike Netflix and Roku is punishing Roku users as their leverage. 

If you're not interested in calling Roku out on this as this thread is for, or aren't fans of HBO and don't care whether you have it or not and instead just want to troll the folks that do want it, may I suggest finding another thread to troll cuz you don't make Roku look good here. 

Iona-D
Level 14

soriiRe: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

Please, No Censoring Permitted Here!  Do continue voice your opinions.  I am interested when others do this and I care about the freedom to express one's self when it's done in a tasteful, thoughtful manner.  Even though I personally don't subscribe to the HBO family and have no interest right now to change that due to the reasons listed below.  

I have to rapidly change my Streaming habits yet again.  The unlimited data usage offered during the first part of the Covid Pandemic (March-October) has been rescinded without warning (why AT&T stooped to that level, I will never know or understand). I ended up paying dearly just yesterday for that   So adding anymore paid apps to my home screen is now over for a very long time   HBO Max became a moot subject as far as I am concerned.

This time, Roku is not the one at fault or to blame.  There are many other things to consider when one decides to stream or not.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 14

Jump to solution

@KordKutter wrote:

@Iona-D wrote:

Knock it off now and discuss what Roku is still offering-an alternative without paying upfront for most of the content it offers.

This discussion is on topic, per the title about the HBO Max app. There are plenty of other topics to entertain yourself with. Go check them out!

Why?  What I stated . above is even more true now than when I actually posted my previous post.  I just got an unexpected financial hit from my Internet provider with all this " cord cutting" was supposed to help me avoid.  So now I decided to dust off even the old VCR and revisit what true choice is really about. 

Not so much whining and complaining that might or possibly change some outcome.  But actually accomplish something.  I had to wait 2 months to get Peacock TV App on Roku.  Now if I choose to subscribe to HBO Max I still have to wait on someone, so.ewhere, at a vague sometime to let me watch it on a particular device?  

Not good enough for me.  Perhaps you or others who think this is an real alternative to traditional television options as OTA antennas or cable?  And your chose the username which implies divorcing from being dictated to by an unseen suits?  I am enjoying right this minute a DVD I picked up for next to nothing as the format is not popular anymore.  I am playing months after purchase as I (not someone else) is ready to watch it.

So who is dictating what someone else should do?  I will stream HBO Max if and when they offer something I want.  And drop their prices. 

I an returning to my data free DVD disc now.  Try something new before you tell other people what to do.  

RenB
Level 9

Jump to solution

I have a fire stick (I haven't checked to see if it changed recently) but it was the same, it did not allow HBOMax either. No agreement made to service it apparently..

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have read that HBO max is now available on Fire TV (https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/16/21569441/hbo-max-amazon-fire-tv-tablets-roku-prime-video-channel... and https://techcrunch.com/2020/11/16/hbo-max-arrives-on-amazon-fire-tv-devices/)

I ordered a Fire TV stick-  if this is not correct,please advise so I can cancel my order

0 Kudos
Myersta
Level 9

Jump to solution

You don't have a Roku account where you register devices,?

0 Kudos
Myersta
Level 9

Jump to solution

I don't see anywhere in this thread where it says it is only for "calling out Roku". You are kinda making yourself look like an ass. If you don't like Roku then dump 'em and use one of the alternatives. I think Firestick is on sale right now on Amazon. 

0 Kudos