Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

All of my my HBO Now apps updated automatically on my devices with the New HBO Max app when it became available today, 5/27.  However, the HBO Max app or channel is still not available on Roku and I’ve searched and tried updating and rebooting and still nothing.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that HBO Max is currently not available on the Roku platform. To access HBO, go to HBO on The Roku Channel or visit the Roku Channel Store to download HBO NOW.

For more information visit www.hbomax.com and subscribe to the latest channel updates at http://blog.roku.com.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
584 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

HBO Max Timeline

Jump to solution

@Roku

Hurry up and finish that contract with HBO MAX. I've got some catching up to do with the show Doctor Who!

Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

You'd have to ask HBO, not Roku. With only a couple of exceptions, Roku does not develop channels for their devices. They have The Roku Channel, and the Roku Media Player. Every other channel is created and maintained by other entities. That is usually the content provider, such as HBO. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Has something changed about Roku controlling their platform more? Otherwise, I don't think your statement is accurate at all. Roku isn't developing the apps, but they are controlling access.

I love my Rokus and won't be switching, but I haven't liked this approach they've taken over the past few(?) years.

Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@hornakapopolis wrote:

Has something changed about Roku controlling their platform more? Otherwise, I don't think your statement is accurate at all. Roku isn't developing the apps, but they are controlling access.

I love my Rokus and won't be switching, but I haven't liked this approach they've taken over the past few(?) years.

Sure, they control the platform. But HBO has to create the new channel for HBO Max, or add its functionality to their existing channel. Roku doesn't have anything to do with that. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I know Roku doesn't develop them...just allowS them to be uploaded and for us to use.  So either HBO still hasn’t developed the new Max to be used by Roku like they have for all other mobile devices...or Roku just hasn’t done an overnight upload of new apps so we can update the app ourselves.  Seems as simple as that.  

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Actually, HBO and Roku haven’t come to an agreement on profit shares yet. It has nothing to do with app development. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Wow.  That explains a lot.  They didn’t seem to have a problem with allowing HBO Now and HBO Go, so I hope it won’t be long before they allow MAX.  

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am going to buy an Amazon Fire Stick since I can’t get HBO Max 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

Sure, they control the platform. But HBO has to create the new channel for HBO Max, or add its functionality to their existing channel. Roku doesn't have anything to do with that. 

So, you're saying HBO is sitting on an app for the Roku? With all due respect, that's ridiculous. If Roku's new policy of wanting a cut of subscriptions wasn't standing in the way, my guess would be that our HBONow apps would have been updated today, just like on other platforms. Or, I recall there was some other channel that released it's app before the service was ready. (Was it Disney+?) You don't think HBO was capable of doing either one of those?

Your answer was to ask HBO, not Roku, and that's not accurate, whether one sides with Roku or HBO over the issues with the agreement.

Here's a link to HBOMax/Roku info https://www.newsweek.com/hbo-max-roku-app-release-date-streaming-smart-tv-1506714 

...and here's a link where we almost didn't get to watch the Super Bowl. https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/1/21117919/roku-fox-apps-carriage-agreement-super-bowl-deal

It's that policy that's preventing HBOMax from appearing on the Roku. I would bet money that within the same hour it's sorted, HBOMax would appear. It's not that they haven't developed a channel.