Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kjstech
Level 9

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@KordKutter wrote:

@Iona-D wrote:

It's the lack of any real thought of simply using another brand of device/television to get the content of one's choice. 

Wouldn't it be ironic if enough ROKU users did actually switch to an alternative device? That would grab their attention, if not their bottom line!

As good as the new TCL 6 series (65R635) has reviewed, and at its very competitive price point... TCL lost a sale because I will not invest another device on the Roku Platform.  Sad too because it was a nice TV.  The Hisense H9G and Sony X900H both run Android TV and those are the next two in line.  Samsung's models with local dimming like the Q80T or LG's CX OLEDs are priced a little too high.

boogernose
Level 18

Jump to solution

@Kjstech  You get what you pay for.

It amazes me how many posters simply dont grasp that concept.

TCL is lower quality (RCA spinoff) Samsung and Sony are into quality. I own

a stupid Sharp TV with an Ultra Device, works very well.

A TV is something you can expect to have for years I think you should invest

in quality rather than be sold on Whoopie doopie amazing sound and

being beamed into an alternate reality TV rama. Keep it simple with better quality.

Like buying a car. Do you want problems? I wouldnt want a smart TV at all.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

I bought 3 new televisions right at the start of this Pandemic.  Were they "smart" ones or have a built in Streaming option.?  Absolutely not!!!

They all hail from Wal-Mart and sport the Sceptre brand.  I added "smarts" via separate devices from different manufacturers as needed.  This is one of the only brand left that does a great OTA menu which we feel that's more important feature than easy cable hook up or even than "all stream all the time."

OTA broadcasts is the best option of all for the serious no pay TV.  Even if you are only can get access to a few channels (like us over here).  The Smart televisions are way too depended on being always online.  What happens when/if your Internet access goes out either temporary or even more permanently?  Just as long as you can get a channel that offers a news program (local, national or preferly both), you will be all right.  Not ideal.......but who says DIY is ideal?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

Depending on screen size, it's getting more difficult to find a non-smart TV. And since I prefer a reasonable name brand, I'm pretty much stuck with a smart TV. But to be honest, I never use the smart functions of the TV. Yeah, that means I've paid for something I'm not using. But I far prefer using either a Roku or Nvidia Shield, and I figure I'm paying for the quality of the display, not the extra features. 

As to what happens when/if the Internet connection goes away? That's why I have a media server with all of my DVDs and Blu Rays ripped to hard drives. I've also recorded hundreds of OTA broadcasts (movies and TV shows) that I can watch at my leisure. I could go months and never watch the same thing twice, although to be honest my wife and I tend to rewatch many of the same things over and over.

With over 5000 titles on my media server, and 40+ OTA channels available, all the pay services can take a hike as far as I'm concerned. I subscribed to CBS AA, but I won't renew. Not enough stuff I care about. Prime Video is simply a plus for my free 1-2 day shipping, which I use almost daily. Nothing to keep me subscribed to any of them. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Kjstech
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yeah I have plex running on my pc with a bunch of movies on it too.  Its nice Plex is on every major platform (Roku, Android TV, Samsung Tizen, LG Web OS).  I think the worst one out there is Vizio's SmartCast.  You can't even download apps on that platform.  What you get with the TV is what you get.

Leaning towards 3 models if I upgrade to 4K...

Hisense H9G - Best value bang for the buck.  Over 1000 nits HDR brightness, Wide Color Gamut, incredible contrast ratio, full local dimming, running on Android TV.

Sony X900H - When the 65" was on sale for right under $1000 it was a deal. The price shot up, but I think it may go on sale again around the time of the Superbowl TV sales in the latter portion of January.  Really good value at its sale price, and extremely popular online, you will get a lot of support for it if you need it.  Runs Android TV.

Samsung Q80T - It's a really good performer, a little brighter than the Sony X900H and slightly better reflection handling, though it costs more.  It runs on Samsungs Tizen OS (They call SmartThings now) and has a very diverse app library.  It has a great monolith style stand I wish more TV's would use, so it fits on more media centers.  I hate when manufacturers put the legs all the way at the ends of the TV forcing you to get a smaller TV, or get bigger furniture.

Anyway back the HBOMax on Roku topic... here is what I received from HBO Max support in my email.  A canned response if any.... but I hope everyone in this thread messages them.  Weird that there isn't even an HBO Max app on AT&T's own DirecTV genie DVR, and James didn't even mention it.  But yet Xfinity X1 is getting an app.  

-------------

My name is James and I would first like to start by thanking you for reaching out to HBO Max Support and I understand you are wanting to see HBO Max available on your Roku. I'll be happy to provide some as much clarification as I can.

As you've noticed, Roku is not currently a device compatible for HBO Max services, however, just like many HBO Max users nationwide, we are looking forward to any future updates which may include more devices, although we do not currently have a time frame that is able to be provided. 

Below is a list of all devices that can currently use HBO Max services:

We will also ensure this feedback reaches the ears of those that can make those decisions, as we want every voice to be heard on HBO Max, to ensure it becomes the best streaming application available on the market!

We appreciate you taking time our of your day to contact HBO Max Support, and should you have have anymore questions or concerns, feel free to reach back out to us!

You can reply to this message or call us at 855-4-HBOMAX. We're here 24/7 to help.

Thanks,

James L
HBO Max Support
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

Depending on screen size, it's getting more difficult to find a non-smart TV. And since I prefer a reasonable name brand, I'm pretty much stuck with a smart TV. But to be honest, I never use the smart functions of the TV. Yeah, that means I've paid for something I'm not using. But I far prefer using either a Roku or Nvidia Shield, and I figure I'm paying for the quality of the display, not the extra features. 

As to what happens when/if the Internet connection goes away? That's why I have a media server with all of my DVDs and Blu Rays ripped to hard drives. I've also recorded hundreds of OTA broadcasts (movies and TV shows) that I can watch at my leisure. I could go months and never watch the same thing twice, although to be honest my wife and I tend to rewatch many of the same things over and over.

With over 5000 titles on my media server, and 40+ OTA channels available, all the pay services can take a hike as far as I'm concerned. I subscribed to CBS AA, but I won't renew. Not enough stuff I care about. Prime Video is simply a plus for my free 1-2 day shipping, which I use almost daily. Nothing to keep me subscribed to any of them. 

I was thinking on more of the line of televisions as a major way of keeping informed in an urgent/emergency situations.  Like what's going on right now.  

I used to have small transistor radios for this need.  But with the waning away of news programs reporting most to all of the time once offered there, well the Sceptre ones have to take their place. 

My smartphone alerted me to the severe number of Covid cases in my area.  As I use them as phone communication devices mostly.   I still think the little transistor radio of my youth is more dependable in many important ways.  As in not having to keep up a paid subscription in order to use it!

0 Kudos
Kjstech
Level 9

Jump to solution

And then, this was my response to James above...

Thank you for the response.  I do have an XBOX ONE and I have used HBO Max on that device.  That is limited to our Family room.  For our Living room and Bedroom we have ROKU boxes and DIRECTV HR44 / C41 DVR and client.  If you cannot put an app on ROKU, why don't you put an app on DIRECTV GENIE DVR?  I see you are working on one for Comcast's Xfinity X1 platform. This seems backwards to me because AT&T IS DirecTV, and with AT&T owning Warner Media, they are all basically the exact same company (DirecTV and HBO MAX).  Who can I write to get AT&T to at least get an HBO Max app on the DirecTV Genie platform?  Don't they want to get more viewers to access to HBO Max content?  Don't you, as an employee of HBO Max think it would be a good idea to have this service available to as many devices as possible?  That way more people can sign up for the service.  More subscribers mean greater success for HBO Max and thus greater incentives for employees of the company.  If the company can do well, so can the people employed under it.

Thank you for passing this on to Management,

0 Kudos
happycamper82
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've invested heavily throughout the house in Roku TV's and devices for its simplicity.  If Roku insists on this type of attitude of dictating to the consumer what platforms are available, it usually means the beginning of the end.    It's easy enough for me change platforms.  What I'm really feeling about this I can't say in a public forum, but if I'm feeling that way I imagine many other people are feeling the same way.  Roku really ought to wake up.  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@happycamper82 wrote:

I've invested heavily throughout the house in Roku TV's and devices for its simplicity.  If Roku insists on this type of attitude of dictating to the consumer what platforms are available, it usually means the beginning of the end.    It's easy enough for me change platforms.  What I'm really feeling about this I can't say in a public forum, but if I'm feeling that way I imagine many other people are feeling the same way.  Roku really ought to wake up.  

Well, you feel it's all Roku's fault. Others feel it's all AT&T's fault. The truth likely falls somewhere in between. I personally don't care about the channel, but if all the information made public is accurate, I think AT&T is more in the wrong. My guess is it's going to be resolved one way or the other by Christmas. Either they'll break off talks, saying that it's not going to happen, or one side finally agrees with the other and it becomes available. AT&T says the have the channel ready to go, so if they do come to an agreement it should be available almost immediately. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
KordKutter
Level 9

Jump to solution

Well, you feel it's all Roku's fault. Others feel it's all AT&T's fault. The truth likely falls somewhere in between. I personally don't care about the channel, but if all the information made public is accurate, I think AT&T is more in the wrong. My guess is it's going to be resolved one way or the other by Christmas. Either they'll break off talks, saying that it's not going to happen, or one side finally agrees with the other and it becomes available. AT&T says the have the channel ready to go, so if they do come to an agreement it should be available almost immediately. 

Are you saying it's OK for ROKU to be greedy and try to profit from AT&T's content? They are selling us devices that are capable of carrying all content, yet they are restricting what we can and cannot watch.

I'm sorry, but ROKU is just a streaming platform, and for the benefit of their paying device customers they should capitulate, and allow this app from AT&T to have free access. At zero profit if necessary. ROKU should not be attempting to become yet another cable TV service trying to derive revenue from content created by others. Raise the prices for their devices, if necessary, to improve their bottom line. That is the business they are good at and should stick to 100%.

0 Kudos