Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 21

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@GeoB wrote:

Danny, just visited the Roku Channel Store to download HBO NOW and it is not there and I just updated the Roku SW to latest release.  What's up with that?

Geo

In the channel store, the HBO Now channel is now just called HBO. If you don't see it in there, you might be located somewhere that HBO doesn't support on Roku devices. And that's not a Roku call, only HBO can control where it's available and on what devices. 

I realize this thread is extremely long. But to explain again, Roku does not create and provide channels for other services. They offer the platform, as well as two channels of their own: The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. They don't create a channel for HBO. That is the responsibility of HBO. And they claim they have HBO Max ready to deploy on Roku devices as soon as they come to an agreement with Roku. There are two distinct sides to this story, with HBO claiming Roku has unreasonable demands while Roku states they are asking the same as they ask for other providers. Between the two, I trust Roku more, but some feel it's their fault. Since I don't subscribe to HBO, I have no skin in this game. For the sake of other users, I do wish they'd settle it and get the channel into the store. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
KordKutter
Level 9

Jump to solution

HBO Now was retired. The app is now just HBO.

If you subscribe directly to HBO Max, you can use those account credentials with the HBO app on Roku.

That's what I'm using on Roku until they upgrade the app. HBO still has a boatload of content.

HBO vs. Max is missing some of the added Max content, but you can access that now by temporarily using an alternate device (Web browser, Firestick, etc.).

I agree that this needs to be resolved soon!

0 Kudos
Kjstech
Level 9

Jump to solution

I tried with that HBO app on roku and I went to sign in using the mobile link and the TV code, but the only options it showed was Google fiber, Prime video channels and Warner Media Guest.  I tried my DirecTV password under Warner Media Guest but it said account not found.  The app is a dud for me.

0 Kudos
drbruce2
Level 11

Jump to solution

One hundred eighty seven days and counting.

blade_005
Level 14

Jump to solution

@drbruce2 wrote:

And now 4K HDR support is arriving for WW84 release on HBO Max on December 25th.

Wonder Woman 1984 will be the first title that HBO Max streams in 4K 

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

@drbruce2 wrote:

Tick, Tock.  Tick, Tock. The clock is still running WITHOUT your app of your own choice.  Where is your alternative different streamer of your own choice?  Don't depend on others for what you want to experience when you want it!  Roku does not care about what anyone wants for a very long time.  So don't feel like you are not a loyal customer anymore as it does not matter in the least.  It's your eyeballs that matter only here and most other places.

0 Kudos
LaLa72
Level 9

Jump to solution

Seriously, just switch over to the new Chromecast and cancel your roku account at this point. The new Chromecast is better than Roku and has a more attractive looking remote. You won't miss your Roku.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@LaLa72 wrote:

Seriously, just switch over to the new Chromecast and cancel your roku account at this point. The new Chromecast is better than Roku and has a more attractive looking remote. You won't miss your Roku.

Sure, pick up an alternate player. I did the same with the Shield for my local media playback. But why trash heap the Roku? It still does everything it always has. And the day will come that something's on Roku that isn't on whatever else you get. May as well keep both to cover the bases. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
LaLa72
Level 9

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@LaLa72 wrote:

Sure, pick up an alternate player. I did the same with the Shield for my local media playback. But why trash heap the Roku? It still does everything it always has. And the day will come that something's on Roku that isn't on whatever else you get. May as well keep both to cover the bases. 

Yes, but I'm bitter 🤣

Kjstech
Level 9

Jump to solution

I was looking at possibly considering getting the TCL 65R635 TV, but it’s Roku based and I think Im going to wait for the 65” Sony x900H to go on sale for $999 again - if not by Christmas, by Super Bowl time.  The Sony is Google TV based and the App Library is just much more diverse, including the ability to install IPTV software.

0 Kudos