Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 21

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@Linzdy wrote:

The supposed solution you are offering for HBO Max does not work on my Roku Ultra Device! They do not offer the HBO NOW app!!! It does not exist! Please try again!!

HBO Now is not available on any Roku. You have to use workarounds, such as screen mirroring to the Roku, or connecting an HDMI cable directly from a computer to the TV. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
KordKutter
Level 9

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

connecting an HDMI cable directly from a computer to the TV. 

Yep, that's what I'm doing for now. But I would much rather just click on my Roku remote than have to jump through hoops to select an alternate HDMI input to switch back and forth between the Roku and computer.

And even then the computer browser doesn't respond to a remote control, so I need to use a wireless mouse to control it. Ugh!

Bring HBO Max to Roku please!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

I never said it was a satisfactory workaround Smiley Very Happy

But the pressure needs to be applied to HBO. Roku has shown that they offered them the same deal they provide other services. Peacock finally accepted, so I can't imagine it's that far off base. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
factsrfun
Level 9

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

I never said it was a satisfactory workaround Smiley Very Happy

But the pressure needs to be applied to HBO. Roku has shown that they offered them the same deal they provide other services. Peacock finally accepted, so I can't imagine it's that far off base. 

No Roku has placed additional requirements on HBO to provide Ruko with programing for the Ruko channel, something it does not require Netflix to do, HBO has requested to be treated the same as Netflix but Ruko refuses to do that, I really can't imagine anyone buying a Ruko device at this point when there other devices that offer open access to streaming services. (ie TiVo) people other than me who stupidly bought a Ruko TV a few months before they decided to become a closed system shutting off growth,  

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

Never mind the Workarounds and Runarounds.  How about just buying an inexpensive device for under 50 dollars and wait it out in dignity and having your HBO Max right on that device's home screen to use whenever you want it.  

And keep your Roku devices!  Enjoy them for what they only can offer with their unique offerings.  There is no law requiring you to own/use just one!

0 Kudos
Sackattack
Level 8

Jump to solution

A newer, more simplified workaround, seemingly enabled in part by HBO, came with the latest iPhone update to iOS 14.1. The HBOMax app will scan your network (if given permissions) as it did with casting devices (like Chromecast), and discover Roku’s as an Apple airplay device. After a simple code entered, Voila!, the Roku is  playing your hbomax content also allowing your Roku remote to control it. Again, previously only casting worked for me on iPhone to Chromecast or FireTV devices. 

Granted, this is still not what you and I all want - which is for HBOMax and Roku to play nice together, however, this is certainly more convenient (at least for Apple iPhone users). 

0 Kudos
LaLa72
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Iona-D wrote:

Never mind the Workarounds and Runarounds.  How about just buying an inexpensive device for under 50 dollars and wait it out in dignity and having your HBO Max right on that device's home screen to use whenever you want it.  

And keep your Roku devices!  Enjoy them for what they only can offer with their unique offerings.  There is no law requiring you to own/use just one!

I did that.  I bought the new Chromecast with Google TV.  The problem is that I realize I like it a lot better than my Rokus, so now I have to buy more Chromecasts.  First world problems.

0 Kudos
Kjstech
Level 9

Jump to solution

That casting from my iPhone works great for not only HBO Max but Facebook live videos like Sunday’s church service, or the multitude of live music on there.  It’s great to finally be able to watch that stuff in a big TV screen with loud audio, vs the small phone screen.

The only issue is that only my living room Roku ultra can be found by our iPhones and tablets.  I have a smaller roku attached the top of our bedroom tv with double sided sticky tape.  That ones annoying anyway since that remote doesn’t have a volume or power control.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Sackattack wrote:

A newer, more simplified workaround, seemingly enabled in part by HBO, came with the latest iPhone update to iOS 14.1. The HBOMax app will scan your network (if given permissions) as it did with casting devices (like Chromecast), and discover Roku’s as an Apple airplay device. After a simple code entered, Voila!, the Roku is  playing your hbomax content also allowing your Roku remote to control it. Again, previously only casting worked for me on iPhone to Chromecast or FireTV devices. 

Granted, this is still not what you and I all want - which is for HBOMax and Roku to play nice together, however, this is certainly more convenient (at least for Apple iPhone users). 

That had nothing to do with the iOS update. Roku has introduced AirPlay 2 support for most 4K Roku devices. It was just rolled out this week, although the 4800 hasn't been certified by Apple yet, so it's not on it yet. 

Dan
pgrey2
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yep, using our (really our daughter's mostly;-]) XBox, for now, until they sort this out (I re-upped HBOMax at the 11.99, for now, there are some good shows on the Max side).

You can get the TiVo streamer, cheap, and it gets decent reviews, as an Android streamer.  I still might do this, if it drags out, getting tired of the 45 second boot-times, on the XBox (has an external SSD for the "apps" load, but I haven't delved into tearing it down and replacing the internal drive, yet...).

I still predict that HBO will cave here, before the T-Day shopping days, this year, we'll see; pretty sure they want to be on that "list of boxes that are checked", on the sales-sheet, for the Roku, as a gift.

-pete
0 Kudos