Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgrey2
Level 9

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

Yeah, noted and I added it to my Roku, that day.

I predict that there's a HBO/Roku deal by end of October, latest, before the start of holiday-shopping season...

Chromecasts' new offering is interesting, but I just don't think your average user is going to want to go that route, at this point, it's significantly more technically complex, and even worse if you're an iOS user (which I'm not, but I've looked at the feature-parity issues, for personal interest).

-pete
0 Kudos
bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@pgrey2 wrote:

Yeah, noted and I added it to my Roku, that day.

I predict that there's a HBO/Roku deal by end of October, latest, before the start of holiday-shopping season...

Chromecasts' new offering is interesting, but I just don't think your average user is going to want to go that route, at this point, it's significantly more technically complex, and even worse if you're an iOS user (which I'm not, but I've looked at the feature-parity issues, for personal interest).

I don't think there will be a deal before December, but I've been wrong before.

0 Kudos
KordKutter
Level 9

Jump to solution

So far about 90% of what I want to watch on HBO MAX is available on the existing HBO app on Roku.

If there is something that is MAX only, I'll temporarily switch to my laptop and watch it on the browser.

Annoying, but living with it for now. Hurry up and fix please!

0 Kudos
Kjstech
Level 9

Jump to solution

I heard Roku OS 9.4 will let you use airplay from iphone / ipad to roku.  Could it then be possible to load up hbo max on the iphone and then "cast" it to roku?  When is this os coming out?  There's a new google tv device that looks fantastic, but I'd rather not spend another $50 per TV when I have a working Roku already at each TV.  https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/25/21455606/chromecast-with-google-tv-images-hands-on-leak-user-inte...

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Kjstech wrote:

I heard Roku OS 9.4 will let you use airplay from iphone / ipad to roku.  Could it then be possible to load up hbo max on the iphone and then "cast" it to roku?  When is this os coming out?  There's a new google tv device that looks fantastic, but I'd rather not spend another $50 per TV when I have a working Roku already at each TV.  https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/25/21455606/chromecast-with-google-tv-images-hands-on-leak-user-inte...

Yes, they say it will be coming. My guess it will be only the 4K devices. 9.4 is still in beta test, so I have no idea when it will be released. Since they've announced it, I would expect it should be soon.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Kjstech
Level 9

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@Kjstech wrote:

Yes, they say it will be coming. My guess it will be only the 4K devices. 9.4 is still in beta test, so I have no idea when it will be released. Since they've announced it, I would expect it should be soon.

I have 1 ultra (ethernet) and one stick (wifi).  I guess I'll continue to use the xbox in the room that has the stick.

0 Kudos
ballfam
Level 9

Jump to solution

If you use streaming enough, spend the money on the Android TV devices; you will not be disappointed. I use streaming for everything (including live TV with YouTube TV), and I try to standardize on one device so everyone in the family only has to learn how to use one platform. That used to be Roku, but a few moths ago when the Tivo Stream 4k came out, I grabbed one to see how Android TV had matured, and I was so impressed that I bought another 2 and standardized all the TVs on Android TV. I still have my Rokus plugged in, but I haven't used them for several months.

The new Chromecast looks good, but you can get what I think is a better piece of hardware from Tivo for the same price ($50). As usual, its only downside will be that it is not made by Google and won't get all the updates as quickly.

Android TV is a true multi-process operating system, unlike Roku, which has a number of advantages:

1) You can cast directly to it using either Chromecast or Miracast

2) It leaves the apps running in the background (because it can run more than one at once), so when you come back to the app, it will be in the same place you left-off. To the point where, if you hot the home button while something is playing, when you come back to the app, it just keeps on playing where you left off, or if you use YouTube TV, it will come back to the same channel, just like a real cable box.

3) Because apps can run the background, the searching is like 1,000 times better than the cheesy search on Roku, it can actually ask the apps to search for stuff while they are running in the background, rather than having to search on some remote Roku server and deliver results. This means it can find stuff in Plex, for example, which is personalized to me (e.g. if I ask to find "Law and Order", and I have it on Plex, it will show me the Plex results, as well as what it finds on e.g. HBO Max)

4) Android TV does not make money from the apps, so everything is available (like HBO Max) because they don't have to fight with the vendor to get it on the platform.

Android TV has matured to the point where it is very stable, as fast (if not faster) than Roku and has all the common apps , some of which Roku does not have. Once Google put their weight behind a real device (the new Chromecast), it is ready to explode and leave Roku in the dust unless they smarten up their act.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

@ballfam wrote:

If you use streaming enough, spend the money on the Android TV devices; you will not be disappointed. I use streaming for everything (including live TV with YouTube TV), and I try to standardize on one device so everyone in the family only has to learn how to use one platform. That used to be Roku, but a few moths ago when the Tivo Stream 4k came out, I grabbed one to see how Android TV had matured, and I was so impressed that I bought another 2 and standardized all the TVs on Android TV. I still have my Rokus plugged in, but I haven't used them for several months.

The new Chromecast looks good, but you can get what I think is a better piece of hardware from Tivo for the same price ($50). As usual, its only downside will be that it is not made by Google and won't get all the updates as quickly.

Android TV is a true multi-process operating system, unlike Roku, which has a number of advantages:

1) You can cast directly to it using either Chromecast or Miracast.........Once Google put their weight behind a real device (the new Chromecast), it is ready to explode and leave Roku in the dust unless they smarten up their act

You left out some additional rather important things.  One is the Xiaomi Mi Box/Stick model choices offers similar great introduction into the Android world.  The other is you don't need to sign up for a separate account in order to use Android.  Just a Gmail account (which most have already).  Plus most importantly,, you don't have to have a credit/debit card to use Google!  I still don't enjoy that part of the Roku experience.  Even taking precautions like I like to do by using a "dummy," yet active, debit card with a "0" balance.  

Not using a account means for me at least I don't have to "share" my apps with anyone else.  I have a private TV with both Android/Chromecast hooked up to it.  The Roku TVS have to "share" their access with the 1 Roku account I put up wth.  Not so with my own private tv.  It has privacy built right in-in the first place.  

0 Kudos
ballfam
Level 9

Jump to solution

You left out some additional rather important things.  One is the Xiaomi Mi Box/Stick model choices offers similar great introduction into the Android world.  The other is you don't need to sign up for a separate account in order to use Android.  Just a Gmail account (which most have already).  Plus most importantly,, you don't have to have a credit/debit card to use Google!  I still don't enjoy that part of the Roku experience.  Even taking precautions like I like to do by using a "dummy," yet active, debit card with a "0" balance.  

Not using a account means for me at least I don't have to "share" my apps with anyone else.  I have a private TV with both Android/Chromecast hooked up to it.  The Roku TVS have to "share" their access with the 1 Roku account I put up wth.  Not so with my own private tv.  It has privacy built right in-in the first place.  

Yes, all good points. In fact you can have multiple different google accounts on the same device (unlike Roku). I could go on about the advantages, but needless to say that technically, it is an infinitely better platform; it just needs to get the support and promotion from Google and it will be much bigger than Roku; I get the feeling 2021 will be the year for Android TV, but we'll see.

BTW: I also have one of the new Mi Sticks, which I picked up to $38. After having used it, I would say it is nowhere near as good as the Tivo Stream 4k. It is only 1080p, and it doesn't feel as good hardware quality or as  well finished as the Tivo. The remote is a little cheesy and plasticy, and there a just little convenience things which make the difference, like the Tivo has an IR blaster in the remote which can turn on/off the TV, change the volume, and do a few other things. After having played with the Mi Stick, I would spend the extra $12 and get the Tivo (or the Chromecast when it comes out).

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

I agree.  Although I do consider my little MI Stick as an introductory device into the Android Interface.  Plus a bridge to wait out the former Peacock, now HBO Max only impasse.  The tiny ultra light weight is much easier on my sole HMDI port.  That was the real reason why I chose it over the other 50 dollar device.

I can wait for the new Google Device.  I don't regret my MI purchase as it was for a Secondary television anyway.

0 Kudos