Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kjstech
Level 9

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

I saw on Twitter this weekend both HBOMax and Roku tweeted some things like what are you watching.  Many replies were derogatory to both about not coming to an agreement.  Surely someone at these companies read it.

0 Kudos
bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@pgrey2 wrote:

You can write your congress-people, that's not a bad action, IME/IMHO.  If they get enough letters, from concerned constituents, they'll take notice, at least, and perhaps "get the ball rolling", on the law-side, which is ultimately what's going to fix this type of thing.  

You could protest too, although the issue is nowhere near the level of current protest-issues, and I suspect you'd have trouble getting enough "fellow protesters", to gather an actual protest, but there's nothing stopping anyone from attempting this...

Like you say, anyone with two brain cells can use the individual apps, it's only those who CHOOSE to just use the Roku app, or choose it when they use the voice/text search, from the home-page, which might end up re-directing through that app, to watch.

I bet this (at least currently) is affecting Roku sales in the <5% range, given the perceived-necessity of having these two channels, for average consumers (as a 30 year s/w professional, most dev, I have trouble assessing how the "average consumer" thinks about these things, at times, but I try, because it's often important, for my job, and ethical constructs ;-]).

Maybe it'll become an issue, at some point, at which time I'm pretty confident Roku and HBO/ATT + NBC will "make up", and figure out some sort of agreement, to re-include the channels.  Roku is a HUGE platform, along with FireTV, and I just don't see that changing, anytime soon; people are not going to go get a bunch of Android-TV devices tomorrow, regardless of how good they might be, technically, they're generally more complex to operate, which is undesirable, for most...

It's the same reason that most people won't sideload (or even know what it is), to try and fix this, the complexities of the initial process and maintaining the app(s), sideloaded, is NOT simple, at all for the "average consumer", again, IMHO/IME.

That's not a bad idea, but probably more useful for trying to turn Internet access into the common carrier (like electricity, water, or UPS/Fedex) it should be.

0 Kudos
dwharton
Level 9

Jump to solution

Roku should treat all content providers the same or users suffer.  Neutrality. The fact that HBO is on Apple TV, one of the most closed platforms, and not Roku is unforgivable.  They should have given HBO the same deal they gave to Netflix. AT&T and Comcast suck but NBC and even more so HBO have amazing content.  Not having them on Roku makes Roku irrelevant. 

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

I decided to turn off my sideliaded apps for now.  Downloader and Send Files To TV are nice to know about, I don't feel too comfortable about leaving them on all of the time. 

I still prefer to use legit ones from a reputable app store.   All I really want is simply having access to them.

Wake Up Roku!  Your users hath spoken.  And will continue to do so until something better comes along.  And that something is either here or arriving very soon.

drbruce2
Level 11

Jump to solution

Been 110 days since HBO Max went live. Will start shopping for replacements to my Rokus (5) starting Black Friday. The worst thing is the lack of communication from Roku and AT&T. They leave us to speculate, and then ersatz experts start postulating on what is happening. There are fan boys on both sides pointing finger at each other. And then there are people talking about corporate greed who would charge other people a bazillion dollars if they could get away with it. But they can't so they play the holier than thou card and act altruistic.

Celafton1
Level 8

Jump to solution

This was a non answer!

dwharton
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Kjstech  People are frustrated and it is understandable. Who wants to own a device that has limited content

Entrwriter
Level 10

Jump to solution

NBC signed for Peacock on Roku 30 minutes ago.

@pgrey2 wrote:

You can write your congress-people, that's not a bad action, IME/IMHO.  If they get enough letters, from concerned constituents, they'll take notice, at least, and perhaps "get the ball rolling", on the law-side, which is ultimately what's going to fix this type of thing.  

You could protest too, although the issue is nowhere near the level of current protest-issues, and I suspect you'd have trouble getting enough "fellow protesters", to gather an actual protest, but there's nothing stopping anyone from attempting this...

Like you say, anyone with two brain cells can use the individual apps, it's only those who CHOOSE to just use the Roku app, or choose it when they use the voice/text search, from the home-page, which might end up re-directing through that app, to watch.

I bet this (at least currently) is affecting Roku sales in the <5% range, given the perceived-necessity of having these two channels, for average consumers (as a 30 year s/w professional, most dev, I have trouble assessing how the "average consumer" thinks about these things, at times, but I try, because it's often important, for my job, and ethical constructs ;-]).

Maybe it'll become an issue, at some point, at which time I'm pretty confident Roku and HBO/ATT + NBC will "make up", and figure out some sort of agreement, to re-include the channels.  Roku is a HUGE platform, along with FireTV, and I just don't see that changing, anytime soon; people are not going to go get a bunch of Android-TV devices tomorrow, regardless of how good they might be, technically, they're generally more complex to operate, which is undesirable, for most...

It's the same reason that most people won't sideload (or even know what it is), to try and fix this, the complexities of the initial process and maintaining the app(s), sideloaded, is NOT simple, at all for the "average consumer", again, IMHO/IME.

0 Kudos
Ckalexander21
Level 8

HBO Max App Availability on Roku Platform?

Jump to solution

Anyone ever hear back about Roku contract with HBO Max? I hate doing screen share just to play my HBO Max app on all platforms of Roku!! #HBOMax #BringBackHBOapp

0 Kudos
LaLa72
Level 9

Jump to solution
0 Kudos