Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Roku is making get my first ever Apple product

Jump to solution

To say I'm not an Apple fanboy is an understatement.  I have NEVER owned an iPhone...or any other Apple product.  When anyone in my family has trouble with their iPhone, I refuse to help them.

Now, however, for the first time in my life, I'm actually seriously looking at getting an Apple TV.  And this all came about because of Roku's strategy of holding it's customers hostage for HBO Max to negotiate.

Honestly, I'm actually really liking what I'm seeing from the Apple TV reviews.  I love the idea that, from the home screen, it displays shows to continue watching...without having to go into the specific apps.

I have 2 roku tvs in secondary rooms and an Ultra 4k on my main TV.  I won't be replacing them overnight, but I see a huge benefit starting with my main TV...replacing the Ultra.

Roku, i'm sorry to say, you have lost your way.  Good luck that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@pgrey2 wrote:

@Pathogen wrote:

Right now I cast HBOmax from my laptop to the roku, then control the laptop via Teamviewer on my phone. It’s a real pain. I just wish they would get this settled already.

Yeah, this is a great example, of just how much of a hassle.  I could do a variety of things here, to work around this, but it's just dumb, if you ask me, I'll be canceling, for now, and (probably, maybe, depending on the content we find ourselves missing) resubscribing, once the fallout is over.

BTW, consider yourself lucky, try talking about "casting to a device" (and throw in TeamViewer, if you really want to see some eyes glaze-over) to say 95% of people out there, and see just what kind of response you'll get ;-]

The just plain "HBO" app will (supposedly) be available on 8/1, to replace HBOGo/HBONow, but it will NOT add the Max functionality.  I'm sure your "average user" will just "figure it out", NOT! ;-]

Why in the world HBO didn't just stick with the other two, in the face of all this, is beyond me, I'm sure it ties into some other licensing mess, of some sort.

The reality is as you state.  Most people aren't interested in jumping through hoops to get what they want.  I could take your instructions and do that, but it is a pain.  Thankfully, I had some extra cash laying around. I just bought the new TiVo streamer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Well, two more days to HBO GOne. I was so glad to see that this problem was solved in two (count them One, Two) different threads. Ain't you guys glad! If the answer is Ignore, then for sure the problem is solved. If the problem is we might lose some customers, then it isn't.

There is some validity to "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", but I don't think the powers that be learned that in "How not to do business" school.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Entrwriter wrote:

@pgrey2 wrote:

@Pathogen wrote:

Right now I cast HBOmax from my laptop to the roku, then control the laptop via Teamviewer on my phone. It’s a real pain. I just wish they would get this settled already.

Yeah, this is a great example, of just how much of a hassle.  I could do a variety of things here, to work around this, but it's just dumb, if you ask me, I'll be canceling, for now, and (probably, maybe, depending on the content we find ourselves missing) resubscribing, once the fallout is over.

BTW, consider yourself lucky, try talking about "casting to a device" (and throw in TeamViewer, if you really want to see some eyes glaze-over) to say 95% of people out there, and see just what kind of response you'll get ;-]

The just plain "HBO" app will (supposedly) be available on 8/1, to replace HBOGo/HBONow, but it will NOT add the Max functionality.  I'm sure your "average user" will just "figure it out", NOT! ;-]

Why in the world HBO didn't just stick with the other two, in the face of all this, is beyond me, I'm sure it ties into some other licensing mess, of some sort.

The reality is as you state.  Most people aren't interested in jumping through hoops to get what they want.  I could take your instructions and do that, but it is a pain.  Thankfully, I had some extra cash laying around. I just bought the new TiVo streamer.

My hoop jumping days are over. The 11 year old TV in our main room was starting to fail. We were going to get a TCL Roku TV to replace it but due to all of this, we decided to go with a Samsung and it arrived yesterday. The picture is gorgeous and we're streaming HBO Max on it right now. We also have the Flex box we got free from Comcast hooked up to it so, now we've got HBO Max and Peacock along with everything else we used watched on the Roku (Hulu, Prime, Apple TV, Vudu, ESPN+, etc.) without needing it. The Roku we had in that room was six years old so, we more than got our money's worth from it but we've moved on. We have three other Rokus in other rooms and they will eventually get replaced if deals don't start getting done. 

Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@MoviesProbably wrote:

My hoop jumping days are over. The 11 year old TV in our main room was starting to fail. We were going to get a TCL Roku TV to replace it but due to all of this, we decided to go with a Samsung and it arrived yesterday. The picture is gorgeous and we're streaming HBO Max on it right now. We also have the Flex box we got free from Comcast hooked up to it so, now we've got HBO Max and Peacock along with everything else we used watched on the Roku (Hulu, Prime, Apple TV, Vudu, ESPN+, etc.) without needing it. The Roku we had in that room was six years old so, we more than got our money's worth from it but we've moved on. We have three other Rokus in other rooms and they will eventually get replaced if deals don't start getting done. 

Which Samsung did you get? I have an NU7100 that has terrible HDR. All the reviews say one should get a TCL Roku TV, but I insist on having a numeric pad on the remote for OTA channel selection, so that leaves out any Roku or Fire TV. My older JU7100 has great HDR, and it didn't even have HDR support when it came out. Added by a software update, so you know it wasn't optimized for it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Do you guys know what tomorrow is? Besides the day that HBO Go is HBO GOne, it is the day that I start shopping for devices other than Rokus. I will purchase them one at a time so that it will not be a big burden on the pocketbook. I don't know if I would ever use HBO Max, but the fact that I can't really irritates me. I have been an avid Roku fan since the day they started, buying them for family because I so believed in them. Well-I'm going to file for divorce if Roku doesn't go to counseling. The rift widens every day!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

This is pretty much my outlook too. Been a Roku fan for a long time and have even bought as gifts for family and friends, but that's over. If I can't get the content I want on it, then I will go to something that I can get the content I want on. 

It's content versus device and there are other devices but only one HBO Max content wise. Content wins in this case.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

My Roku TV just renamed HBO NOW to HBO at 9 am PDT.  Everything still works using my free HBO MAX log in from AT&T.  No HBO MAX content but all my HBO "Continue Watching" is still there and working.  Roku Ultra in bedroom had not updated when I was using at 6 am but will check now and also check Roku Express in other bedroom.  Nephew will check his 4200.  Now we just need an HBO MAX app on Roku that we have been waiting for since it launched May 27.  My iPhone, laptop and tablet just don't compare to a 65 inch UHD TCL Roku screen.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Use chrome on your computer to cast to your tv, I do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

This specifically won't work with HBOmax. I think they intentionally prevent it from working with Roku.

0 Kudos