Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thetick
Level 12

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@Bristol wrote:

I broke down and got the $29.99 Chromecast on Amazon.   (ironic).  Gets here tomorrow.    I've heard Peacock has some issues thru Chromecast.    Any thoughts.   I hope it will be easy to set up.    I'm very moderately tech savvy.

Peacock is working fine for me with Chromecast.  Users that are having issues are using a direct HDMI connection which is not supported by the Peacock app.

https://www.ign.com/articles/peacock-nbc-streaming-service-external-monitor-errors

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
Bristol
Level 10

Jump to solution

I will be connecting my Chromecast to the HDMI on my TV.    Then casting from my Droid mobile phone.    They will have the same Wi Fi connection.    Will that be an issue for me for Peacock?    Will I also have problems with HBOMAX?  Really wish I could get both on the Roku...tired of waiting. Thank you

vjfrench
Level 8

Jump to solution

Get with the program and make the deal with ATT. I've got three Roku televisions and run Roku on another one. I want HBO MAX. It's your job to provide it.

Victoria French

HDMIGuy
Level 12

Jump to solution

I used HBO Max on an original Chromecast.  Worked fine.  I can not use Peacock on my chromecast because it is first generation and not supported.  I think the people reporting problems were trying to use first generation Chromecast.  Both should work fine on your chromecast.

vjfrench
Level 8

Jump to solution

Though I appreciate the information, I have no intention of purchasing a chromecast device to go on my Roku television. I should not have to. Roku should get their lawyers in gear and negotiate a deal with ATT and NBC to support the Apps. It's not asking too much to request the company you purchased the television from offer support in providing access to new apps. It's that simple. 

Also, I have no intention of watching television on my 5inch cell phone when I have a 53 inch television. I want the content delivered to my television.

0 Kudos
Bristol
Level 10

Jump to solution

I believe the information re: Chromecast was in reply to my inquiry.     I do appreciate the response.   

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@vjfrench wrote:

It's not asking too much to request the company you purchased the television from offer support in providing access to new apps. It's that simple. 

Wouldn't you also say it's not asking too much to request the streaming service to which you want to subscribe to make it available on the nation's largest streaming system?

It takes two to tango folks, and both sides are playing hardball.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
j_m_
Level 11

Jump to solution

@makaiguy wrote:

@vjfrench wrote:

It's not asking too much to request the company you purchased the television from offer support in providing access to new apps. It's that simple. 

Wouldn't you also say it's not asking too much to request the streaming service to which you want to subscribe to make it available on the nation's largest streaming system?

It takes two to tango folks, and both sides are playing hardball.

We've been through this many, many times. HBO has the app ready and willing to provide on Roku. Roku will not approve it unless HBO gives them something--what that is we don't know 100% for sure but undoubtedly Roku wants either a share of the subscription fees HBO receives, access to subscriber data, ability to handle subscriptions through the Roku Channel (and take a larger cut), etc. There are those of us who fundamentally disagree that Roku should be doing anything other than making available hardware and OS that we buy and can install what we please without their gatekeeping and extorting content providers. Imagine if folks who develop and sell programs for Windows PCs had to run everything through Microsoft for approval and could only make it available by giving MS a share of profits--that's not what we bought into and is likewise not what we bought into with Roku.

In short, Roku has decided that it is a content distributor and/or a service instead of a hardware/OS platform where folks can publish apps without having to agree to extortionist terms. Some app publishers, who happen to be big ones, are calling Roku on this. Good for them. If you are okay with Roku's new direction, that's fine. But many of us are fundamentally not and are moving away from them to products that do not gatekeep (such as Android TV-based solutions, including TiVo Stream 4k and FireTV on which you can very easily sideload HBO Max or other apps that Amazon blocks from its store like Roku). Stay and enjoy the Roku gatekeeping to come.

Zoroth
Level 8

Jump to solution

It's been pretty widely reported that the dispute between Roku and HBOMAX/Peacock is the same: Roku wants integration and ad access (read: money and valuable customer data) that the content companies aren't willing to give up control of. It was plausible to believe that HBOMax was the bad guy when it was a two company standoff, but now that there are multiple companies having the same problem with Roku when their Roku apps are ready to go (also widely reported, and Roku hasn't denied this—just issued blanket statements that they won't be available, never being willing to admit why) you have to be blind to not realize that Roku is demanding its cut and holding its customers' access hostage in an attempt to get it. It's a massive change in business model and shockingly anti-consumer for a company that has previously been very user friendly. 

Roku is making its power play to claim that its hardware and streaming platform as important as content is, and I think it's pretty obvious that they're wrong. Customers spend something on the order 3-10x on content every year as they do on Roku and they do it for a reason (I'm sure only Roku has this data, but it's safe to assume that most Roku users at a bare minimum are streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu, and most are streaming 2-4 services, for an annual cost ranging from $120-500? Meanwhile Roku's most popular devices don't go for more than $50, and don't get replaced every year). Money talks and it's been talking for a while; Roku just doesn't like that it's the sidekick in this relationship and its burning its platform value in a misguided attempt to appease its investors. 

Now these forums are full of people switching over to Roku's competitors (it's hilarious the Apple, the granddaddy of all walled garden we-restrict-what-you-can-use-and-always-demand-our-cut companies has both HBOMax and Peacock, so it's pretty obvious Roku is demanding even more than Apple is). And Roku, hilariously, has been marking these complaints as "Solved" based on posts that just say, sorry, this content won't be available. It's a shocking fall from grace for the company that was the independent name in streaming for years and I can't see how they're going to keep their power position in the next few years if this is their strategy. Content drives devices, not the other way around. 

Pooka_Ro_ku
Level 8

Jump to solution

The more I think about this, it might be an Antitrust violation. Roku is trying to use it's dominance in one area (the streaming hardware platform) to obtain market share/dominance in another area (content provision). But, I'm not sure AT&T wants to open the question of who is the monopoly player...

It isn't an unreasonable argument to say that AT&T wants the same relationship with Roku that Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu already has (namely, that their content is available in their app, and not directly in the Roku channel app). After all, if I do a voice search on Roku for a Netflix show, it gives me a link to the Netflix app, not to a Roku channel entry.

The question is, is it reasonable for Roku to demand that any "new" content providers submit to providing their content via the Roku-controlled app?

I think if this were just a money issue (ie, how much of subscriptions bought thru the Roku account would Roku get, vs. how much went to the content provider), this would have been solved by now. This might be an existential question for both the content providers AND for Roku...