Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LaLa72
Level 9

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@mrcpuhead wrote:

@LaLa72 wrote:

I'm watching HBO Max on my televisions by connecting my Chromebook via HDMI cable with a USBC adapter.  It works. It would just be so nice if someone would develop a a streaming device so that I wouldn't have to go through the hassle. 😜

A Chromecast device would work quite nicely with your Chromebook! I use it with my Galaxy Note 9 to stream to the one TV that doesn't have a Roku.  It works great. 

Yes!  I'm planning on replacing all my Roku devices when the new Chromecast with remotes come out!  Have you seen them?  They are super cute, and you can watch HBO Max, Peacock, and all the stuff I already watch through  Roku.

0 Kudos
Paddypods
Level 10

Jump to solution

@MoviesProbably wrote:

Our main TV is dying. We were going to get a Roku TV but if HBO Max and Peacock aren't available by August 1st, we'll get a Samsung instead. We have Comcast internet so we can get a free Flex box too. That'll take care of HBO Max and Peacock. 

I just replaced my dumb TV with a Samsung smart TV, and I'm very happy with it. The stock remote is a bit lacking, but my Logitech Harmony universal remote does a great job controlling the TV. All of my current streaming services are available, including HBO Max. I still don't have confirmation that there will be a Peacock TV app for the Tizen OS for tomorrow's launch, so I'm a bit concerned there. (One article said there would be an app, but all the others I read do not mention Samsung as supported.) I'll find out tomorrow. 

As for Roku, everything I'm reading says that Roku has not reached a deal with NBC Universal over releasing the Peacock TV app. Looks like a continuation of the pattern I've seen developing where Roku is turning into a gatekeeper, which is the reason I left Spectrum cable three years ago.

0 Kudos
Paddypods
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Up2NoGood wrote:

@3000 wrote:

Christ on a cracker! How do I stop getting emails about this thread? I moved on from Roku to Android around about page 3.

I know right?  If you figure it out let me know

The Unsubscribe option is in the menu (three dots) next to the thread title that is right under the purple banner.

0 Kudos
drbruce2
Level 11

Jump to solution

not there

0 Kudos
markmreader
Level 8

Jump to solution

The head of Peacock was on CNBC this morning, and he confirmed that Peacock would not be on Roku or Fire Stick at launch.  He said he was confident that the service would be on the platforms "eventually", but he didn't sound optimistic that it would happen any time soon.

He also said that Peacock is not charging any of the platforms for carrying their service, so this is obviously not about money.  

This confirms that the HBO Max dispute is not a one-off, and Roku users are probably going to be shortchanged on content for a while.  I'm really glad I didn't get around to upgrading my Roku stick before all this started.  Looks like I'll be getting a Tivo stick instead.  

0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 12

Jump to solution
blade_005
Level 14

Jump to solution

@Paddypods wrote:

I still don't have confirmation that there will be a Peacock TV app for the Tizen OS for tomorrow's launch, so I'm a bit concerned there. (One article said there would be an app, but all the others I read do not mention Samsung as supported.) I'll find out tomorrow. 

The article below is from a few days ago. It seems to indicate that if you have a Samsung TV that supports AirPlay 2, then you will be able to cast Peacock from a smartphone or tablet to your Samsung TV. Doesn't look like there will be a native app for Samsung at launch, but it doesn't mean there will not be one eventually.

How To Download and Sign Up For Peacock on Samsung Smart TV 

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K Max
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K Max
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K Max
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K Max
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 14

Jump to solution

Has "alternate"  become a bad word?  While I have multiple Roku devices, I do maintain other platform or company's devices on purpose for different types of availability-as in disputes.  If an app is not on one, it probably will be on another.   Except for Apple devices, the various  boxes, sticks, and dongles are mostly inexpensive to purchase.  And created to be very easy to hide behind the television for the most part.  Even the boxes are very compact.

I don't wait around and hold my breath for additional apps when I want them.  I hope disputes will be resolved, but in the meantime..........

0 Kudos
MoviesProbably
Level 10

Jump to solution

Everyone's definition of expensive is different. We can all agree that Apple TVs are expensive but to me, $50 is expensive for a device that I only need because the company that made another device I already bought is flaking out on me. 

DKNJ
Level 8

Jump to solution

@LaLa72 wrote:

I'm planning on replacing all my Roku devices when the new Chromecast with remotes come out!  Have you seen them?  They are super cute, and you can watch HBO Max, Peacock, and all the stuff I already watch through  Roku.

That's what I'm planning too.  Roku can kiss its user base goodbye if they want to play their stupid games and use us as their pawns.