Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DKNJ
Level 8

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

The way I read these articles, Roku and Amazon want to offer HBO through their own ecosystems, namely Roku Channels and Amazon Prime Video.  HBO wants to redirect users over to its own app instead so they can control everything. 

It looks to me like Roku is blocking the HBO Max app until HBO relents and lets them keep subscribers inside its Roku channels ecosystem.  At least that's how I read it. If that's true then while both companies are at fault in this power struggle, it's probably Roku keeping us from being able to access the new app.

Pooka_Ro_ku
Level 8

Jump to solution

That is the way I read it, as well.

0 Kudos
Passenger57
Level 8

Jump to solution

I've used HBO through Amazon.  It sucks.  There is no way an interface with tens of content providers/channels can be more intuitively organized than a standalone app with one content provider. There simply isn't enough screen real estate.  My experience with Amazon was that titles that were easily browsed in the HBO app were hard to find in the Prime HBO channel - you had to search for it in Prime by title name and, even then, there were titles that were included in the HBO app that were not included in the Prime HBO channel - i.e. they tried to charge for something you were entitled to get free with your subscription.  Who wants to go back back and forth between apps, either on TV and another device screen, to make sure you are getting everything your subscription includes?

drbruce2
Level 11

Jump to solution

Is it six weeks and counting? I've lost track of time. I keep going to the channel store hoping that somebody snuck it in without fanfare, but no such luck. Fudge!

Dcoss
Level 7

I’ve got 2 Roku tv I can’t get hbomax. How about getting your stuff together or send me $600 so I can get new TVs . This is so wrong to your customers who have been behind this company.

Paddypods
Level 10

Jump to solution

@DKNJ wrote:

The way I read these articles, Roku and Amazon want to offer HBO through their own ecosystems, namely Roku Channels and Amazon Prime Video.  HBO wants to redirect users over to its own app instead so they can control everything. 

It looks to me like Roku is blocking the HBO Max app until HBO relents and lets them keep subscribers inside its Roku channels ecosystem.  At least that's how I read it. If that's true then while both companies are at fault in this power struggle, it's probably Roku keeping us from being able to access the new app.

That's how I read them, too. And for me, it doesn't matter who is holding out for what. For me, it is this simple: My devices were no longer giving me access to all of the content that I want to watch, so I bought new devices that do give me that access.

To those who want to spin my choices into some false narrative again, let me be clear. I am not ditching my three Rokus, but I've also decided on not buying any more Rokus. I replaced the dumb TV in my living room with a Samsung smart TV, and the Roku Ultra is attached to it as a back-up (but no longer primary). The TCL Roku TV stays in the bedroom with a Fire TV Stick attached to it now. And the Roku Stick+ is going to a quarantined elderly family member who will never buy a streaming device or subscribe to a streaming service on her own.

Blame Roku. Blame HBO. Blame circumstance or wasps or fried green tomatoes. I don't care! The devices no longer perform as they once did, so the device brand is no longer an option for future purchase.

makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Hbomax

Jump to solution

HBO has not yet come to agreement with either Roku or Amazon (the two largest streaming outlets) regarding carriage terms, so HBOMax is not available on either platform at this time.  If you want to complain, complain to AT&T/HBO.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
camps1952
Level 8

Re: Hbomax

Jump to solution

When do you think we will know if Roku will be getting HBO Max as through cable too expensive. If you hear any news please let me know. Thank you......

0 Kudos
Passenger57
Level 8

Jump to solution

I guess we can be thankful we are on a game console cycle.  Significant others may not be too happy though.

0 Kudos
Entrwriter
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Passenger57 wrote:

I guess we can be thankful we are on a game console cycle.  Significant others may not be too happy though.

Right now, game consoles are truly agnostic because it's not their primary business.

0 Kudos