Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sackattack
Level 8

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

My Roku friends - I have been in media and Entertainment for decades. You are overthinking this. It is super simple. For a hardware streaming platform, like Roku, which is agnostic to content and app providers, like HBO, STARZ, AMC, CBS, Disney, etc, there are NO (License) Agreements of the nature you describe per se. Just whether or not a content provider like HBO decides to write and support and app for the Roku platform. For them it is a distribution play. The more devices your available on the better.  It there is a ton of cost and overhead to maintain all the different version of apps for each platform. So they may choose to go another less costly route and discontinue support for one platform over another. It depends on the analytics they use to determine “value”. 

So ROKU has NOTHING whatsoever to do with this. Zero influence. However, ALL OF US, the consumers DO. But you have to send messages to HBO forum, twitter and other social media  Let them hear you.

Honestly WE need to defend Roku and help them survive. They are the last and only platform that is truly agnostic to content. Amazon, Apple and Google Are all major content creators and licensors and built their streaming devices to serve themselves. In the beginning they didn’t even offer their content on competitors hardware until forced by the consumer. ROKU is small comparatively, but uniquely focused on providing a great streaming platform - not a vehicle to peddle their own episodic shows and entertainment products like the big media conglomerates. 

If that didn’t resonate with you then, this may be an easier way to think of it:  The apps in the app stores that run on your pc, mac, Android or Apple Ios operating systems and platforms are developed by third parties. Does Apple make the Facebook app on your phone...NO...Facebook does.  HBO makes the app for Roku, not Roku..

campgroundme
Level 7

Jump to solution

thank you.  that was the best explanation I've read.  

0 Kudos
Biquica
Level 7

Jump to solution

https://help.hbomax.com/ContactUs Here is the link to write to HBO. PLEASE write to them asking to make the the app available for roku. 

0 Kudos
mrellis
Level 7

Jump to solution

Except, HBO already has an app for Roku and Amazon. Do you really believe they would choose not to make an app for the two most popular streaming devices? Roku has over 41 million users, that’s 30% of the streaming devices. Once an agreement on profit shares has been reached, the HBO MAX app will be immediately available. I don’t blame HBO here, I blame Roku and if this isn’t resolved by the time the new Chromecast Ultra 2 is released, I’ll be changing my streaming devices. 

Bacon
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Sackattack wrote:

My Roku friends - I have been in media and Entertainment for decades. You are overthinking this. It is super simple. For a hardware streaming platform, like Roku, which is agnostic to content and app providers, like HBO, STARZ, AMC, CBS, Disney, etc, there are NO (License) Agreements of the nature you describe per se. Just whether or not a content provider like HBO decides to write and support and app for the Roku platform. For them it is a distribution play. The more devices your available on the better.  It there is a ton of cost and overhead to maintain all the different version of apps for each platform. So they may choose to go another less costly route and discontinue support for one platform over another. It depends on the analytics they use to determine “value”. 

So ROKU has NOTHING whatsoever to do with this. Zero influence. However, ALL OF US, the consumers DO. But you have to send messages to HBO forum, twitter and other social media  Let them hear you.

Honestly WE need to defend Roku and help them survive. They are the last and only platform that is truly agnostic to content. Amazon, Apple and Google Are all major content creators and licensors and built their streaming devices to serve themselves. In the beginning they didn’t even offer their content on competitors hardware until forced by the consumer. ROKU is small comparatively, but uniquely focused on providing a great streaming platform - not a vehicle to peddle their own episodic shows and entertainment products like the big media conglomerates. 

If that didn’t resonate with you then, this may be an easier way to think of it:  The apps in the app stores that run on your pc, mac, Android or Apple Ios operating systems and platforms are developed by third parties. Does Apple make the Facebook app on your phone...NO...Facebook does.  HBO makes the app for Roku, not Roku..

I mean, most of this just isn’t true. 

Roku is no longer completely agnostic. They want to drive more people to the Roku channel because they make money thru subscriptions and ads, which HBO doesn’t want to participate in with Max. Roku’s CEO has even gone as far as to say the home screen may turn into the Roku channel itself, where they surface more content to the user to make more money. 

It isn’t about the cost to maintain a roku app. According to HBO, the roku app is already finished  

DKNJ
Level 8

Jump to solution

Roku and Fire TV currently account for 70% of HBO streaming so it’s not a question of whether maintaining the apps is worth the effort, in fact it’s a top priority to HBO.

It’s always about the money. If you’ve been in the entertainment industry for decades (or even if you haven’t), then you should know the content holders are always looking for creative new ways to make more and more of it. Now that a huge percentage of the public depends on these devices to get their streaming content, AT&T/HBO likely sees an opportunity to get the device manufacturers to pay for the privilege of carrying their apps, even if they didn’t before, because they know their business model depends on it. 

This looks a lot like hostage-taking. It’s doubtful that AT&T/HBO will be moved by a “letter writing” and social media protest campaign. In fact, they will probably use such backlash as further leverage against Roku to prove why they should pay. 

In the meantime, HBO likely intends to see if they lose significant subscribers over this. If not, then it opens the door for all the rest of the content holders to do the same thing in a series of escalating carriage disputes, just like we all saw with cable.  And just like cable, the cost of the settlements will somehow be passed along to all of us in the end.

0 Kudos
Pooka_Ro_ku
Level 8

Jump to solution

While I haven't read all 60 pages of this post, it looks like there are two camps, the Roku camp and the HBO camp. Roku wants HBO offered as part of the Roku channel, as well as a separate app, to allow them to make money on subscriptions and advertising, and to make their channel more valuable. HBO doesn't want to give up the revenue, and they want the control of subscribers, who after all are seeking out HBO in the first place. I assume that Roku has rejected having a higher price for HBO Max thru the Roku channel, so they can recoup the fee to Roku, as a competitive disadvantage.

I think if it were me in HBO's place, I would have kept the HBO Go app, and upgraded it so that it would show HBO Max content if the user were entitled to it. Not sure if Roku would have allowed that.

This is really just a fight between Roku and HBO about money and control. HBO removing the HBO GO app might be them trying to increase the pressure on Roku. Not sure how strong HBO's bargaining position is.

Probably the next step is for HBO to find a low cost streamer device which DOES support HBO Max, and offer it for free to anyone who subscribes to HBO Max. Let Roku see the potential of losing users, and see what that does.

Anyway, if HBO really does disappear from my Roku, it will be a pain.

0 Kudos
markmreader
Level 8

Jump to solution

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is about money per se.  It would be foolish of HBO to hold back on Roku and Fire Stick just to haggle for a few dollars.  (Though AT&T is the "dumber" of John Legere's "dumb and dumber" duo, so it's possible).  More likely it's a fight over who has access to the users, i.e. us.  HBO obviously wants a direct relationship with their users, and their data, and they probably don't want to share them with any middlemen, including Roku and especially Amazon.  I think that's where the battle lines are.  

DKNJ
Level 8

Jump to solution

I know you got a "kudo" for that but it most certainly is about money and it's not a "few dollars."

Here are some TV industry trade articles that explain it. Carriage dispute like I said.  Guess who the winner will be? Hint: The rich always get richer and the consumers always get screwed.

https://tbivision.com/2020/05/29/tbi-weekly-what-hbo-maxs-amazon-dispute-tells-us-about-svods

https://deadline.com/2020/06/hbo-go-going-away-warnermedia-thins-streaming-herd-rebrands-hbo-now-120...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/month-hbo-max-launched-why-214416084.html

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/2/21276932/att-hbo-max-warnermedia-otter-media-ceo-tony-goncalves-in...

Pooka_Ro_ku
Level 8

Jump to solution

Your first article argues against your point. Amazon and Roku are fighting for control of the viewers, having them see all SVOD content via their interface. HBO wants a deal like Netflix, and given their library, they should get it.

0 Kudos