Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kjstech
Level 9

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

Thanks bknabe.  It sure looks like HBO is the bad guy here.  I don’t quite understand why they wouldn’t want to be on Roku and Amazon.  That’s a very large portion of the streaming users out there.  Android TV is slow and complex, Apple TV is really nice but the hardware is expensive.  Roku and Amazon really broke through to the streaming player market with affordable players that anyone could purchase.

Since HBO is getting paid either way, the more potential viewers the more potential profits.  They are really in the wrong here.  AT&T messes up ever since they purchased DirecTV and wanted to get more into video.  From multiple complex and underperforming streaming products to worse customer service for DirecTV... they just don’t know what they are doing!

Bacon
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Kjstech wrote:

Thanks bknabe.  It sure looks like HBO is the bad guy here.  I don’t quite understand why they wouldn’t want to be on Roku and Amazon.  That’s a very large portion of the streaming users out there.  Android TV is slow and complex, Apple TV is really nice but the hardware is expensive.  Roku and Amazon really broke through to the streaming player market with affordable players that anyone could purchase.

Since HBO is getting paid either way, the more potential viewers the more potential profits.  They are really in the wrong here.  AT&T messes up ever since they purchased DirecTV and wanted to get more into video.  From multiple complex and underperforming streaming products to worse customer service for DirecTV... they just don’t know what they are doing!

They do want to be on Roku, they just don't want to have to feed their content through the Roku Channel and get paid less on subs.

Apple was willing to give up HBO on Apple Channels, Roku isn't. Although it's odd Roku didn't have this standoff with Disney, but Disney has a lot more bargaining power than AT&T as far as content goes.

blade_005
Level 14

Jump to solution

@Bacon wrote:

Apple was willing to give up HBO on Apple Channels, Roku isn't. Although it's odd Roku didn't have this standoff with Disney, but Disney has a lot more bargaining power than AT&T as far as content goes.

Apple had far less HBO subs on Apple Channel than Roku or Amazon. Amazon reportedly has 5 million subscribers of HBO through Prime Channels. Apple is also being investigated for anti-trust practices for how they treat content/app providers that want to be available on the Apple Store by the FTC and Congress. They don't need the PR hit.

Disney+ was a completely new entry into the streaming market and never entered into agreements that encouraged people to subscribe through various streaming platforms channels.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K Max
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K Max
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K Max
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K Max
Entrwriter
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Kjstech wrote:

A lot of this is spot on.

0 Kudos
bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Bacon wrote:

@Kjstech wrote:

They do want to be on Roku, they just don't want to have to feed their content through the Roku Channel and get paid less on subs.

Exactly. If HBO Max had half the buzz Disney+ did leading up to launch HBO might have had a strong bargaining position. But they didn't generate *any* buzz. I only heard about it by accident 3 days after launch when I logged into my ATT account and saw that I get HBO Max free. Then I had to look up HBO Max to find out what it was. Very poor marketing, which leads to weak bargaining position. I'm an existing customer and I never even got an email telling me it was coming, though to be honest I think I had seen something about it, but nothing that piqued my interest.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Jump to solution

HBO Max is available on YoutubeTV.

Youre all Welcome.

In time it may also come available elsewhere.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
foist
Level 8

Jump to solution

My wife and I cut the cord when we moved into a new house in May.  Bad timing on our part, I suppose.  Our first experience in the brave new world of streaming was being denied access to content we're paying for by the little Roku Gatekeeper Stick we bought and plugged into the back of our TV.

We pay for Netflix and I like that I can access their content via their stand alone channel.  Roku is allowing us to watch some of the content we're paying HBO for, but is blocking the extra HBO Max stuff.  I want that extra content, and I'd prefer to watch it via a dedicated HBO channel so I don't have to wade through a bunch of extra noise to get to it.  

I know better than to think my comments will affect this dispute, but for the record we won't be rewarding Roku with any more revenue going forward (whether it's more devices or subscribing to additional content through them).  We're only in to Roku for about $50 at this point, live and learn I guess.  I wish them well going forward, but it's not for us.

Paddypods
Level 10

Jump to solution

@boogernose wrote:

Youre all Welcome.

Are you able to access Friends, South Park, Doctor Who, Looney Tunes, etc.? Do you now get the thousands of movies in the Max catalog? My understanding was that you could subscribe to HBO Max through YouTube TV, but you only get the regular HBO content through the YouTube TV app, and you still need the standalone HBO Max app to watch the Max content. Does YouTube TV now offer the Max content directly through its own app?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

@Paddypods wrote:

@boogernose wrote:

Youre all Welcome.

Are you able to access Friends, South Park, Doctor Who, Looney Tunes, etc.? Do you now get the thousands of movies in the Max catalog? My understanding was that you could subscribe to HBO Max through YouTube TV, but you only get the regular HBO content through the YouTube TV app, and you still need the standalone HBO Max app to watch the Max content. Does YouTube TV now offer the Max content directly through its own app?

Well, yeah, unless you're still stuck using a POS Roku. I'm not, any more.

0 Kudos
ChDaRe
Level 7

Jump to solution

You never answered the question! WHY is it now available??  We all know it's not available! Now answer the question! Why is it not available?? And when will it be available?!

0 Kudos