Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@Umfixer wrote:

I'm tired of watching HBO Max on my phone.  I'd like to see it on all my 4 Rokus!!!!  Get a deal done!!!!  Your making me want to switch to Apple TV....

I already had a wireless keyboard and mouse for my laptop, so I just hook it up with an HDMI cable and watch it that way. A little annoying, but I've had an HDMI cable connected to my TV for years to hook up consoles, computers, or whatever I may want to move into the living room for a short time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@scavengerspc wrote:

AT&T signed agreements with Microsoft, Sony, Apple, and Google. Each of them has their own agenda yet the deals are done.

Anyone that thinks this is not Rokus fault is delusional.

First, I got an unsubstantiated rumor from an HBO Max customer service rep. She said that the cs reps didn't know when the app would come to Roku, but that she'd seen "somewhere on the web" that HBO Max would be coming to Roku on June 22nd. Take it with a grain of salt, but we can hope.

All of the entities you name are trying to gain ground on Roku and Amazon Fire and will jump at additional quality content. HBO Max can provide that, so they are willing to make a deal. Roku does not need HBO Max as badly as HBO Max needs Roku. So for ATT to try to get a better deal than they already have (as indicated by statements the CEO) makes no sense - unless they have an inflated idea of their value to the two largest streaming services.

Microsoft, Sony, Apple, and Google think they need HBO Max to increase their appeal, so they made deals quickly. Roku does not have the same need for what HBO Max has to offer, so they will hold out longer to get a deal that is agreeable to them. Which is just good business. 

Roku has upwards of 50% of the streaming set-top box market. It's also good business to compromise with the biggest dog in the room to grow your market share. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Dolphinwks wrote:

WHEN will Hbomax be available on Roku?

An HBO Max cs rep told me that they (the cs reps) don't know when it's happening, but that she'd seen "somewhere on the web" that it was coming June 22nd. Take it with a grain of salt, but we can hope.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

To be honest that sounds like a press release but I appreciate the input. Also in my honest opinion, Roku is so successful because the numbers count Roku smart Tv's and they are everywhere. Not to mention dirt cheap probably because of kickbacks for using them on the sets.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Unlike a previous message, HBO Max IS available on Amazon Fire. Fire uses the Android OS, so you can get the Android version of HBO Max. Techhive.com has directions on how to get it. I have been watching Max on Fire for days. It took me 4 minutes to get it installed.

You can also google "how to get hbo max on amazon fire right now" or something similar. Probably the techhive.com link will show up. It is simple, it is legal, does not require "jail-breaking" your Fire device.

Jeff
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Roku needs to make this available as a channel on their devices. They made a commitment to us as customers when we purchased their devices and to not support a new, major new streaming service is a breach of our trust.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Jrmorse wrote:

Roku needs to make this available as a channel on their devices. They made a commitment to us as customers when we purchased their devices and to not support a new, major new streaming service is a breach of our trust.

Agreed! When I bought my Rokus, content providers who developed a Roku app had their app available in the Roku channel store. Roku did not advertise that they would be blocking access to certain apps in the future. As I and others have pointed out, we would not accept Microsoft or Apple deciding to block the download and installation of software that is developed for those systems.

I don't care about squabbling over who gets how much of the revenue. That is meaningless to me. I am a customer who bought a hardware device from a company that used to allow access to the content I want, then Roku decided to change its business model. HBO Max is not the first app that Roku has not allowed in its store, and I am convinced this won't be the last. I am not tossing my Rokus in the garbage, but I am replacing them with a different brand as needed. The first possible replacement, an Android TV device, arrives today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Two things:  HBO Max, until its original content arrives, is very "meh."  I've had it since its debut via XBox and I've watched it three times. Most of it is available elsewhere.

Secondly, Roku owns about 35 percent of the market, as does Amazon.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

When did Sony act like this?

Google "betamax."

@philmmaker wrote:

“First let me confess that I didn’t read @vike‘s entire post but I have read many of these articles -CNET, Vox, Endgadget.. Ultimately for me, I chose Roku because they were strictly device oriented.  I had the first AppleTV but they played little gatekeeper games because they had certain conflicts of interest when it came to iTunes etc.  So I turned to Roku and never looked back I have 3 now.  An old one that I setup in the garage for the elliptical and one we only use for travel since we got the 4K one.  I also got one for my Mom and my sister got one based on my recommendation.  Roku makes great devices that work reliably and that is why I am an avid supporter.

When I was 9, HBO happened in my house.  I remember watching Animalympics over and over & Flash (with the Queen soundtrack).  As I grew up I came to rely on HBO for the best television had to offer -“Larry Sanders”, “Sopranos”, “Rome”, “The Wire”, yada yada..”GOT” & “John Oliver”.

The world has shifted, now I stream but it hasn’t been easy cutting the cord.  Now I’m just so tired of having to figure out the next new set of hoops I’ve got to jump through, to get the few shows that I want.  I refuse to buy a new 4K AppleTV just for HBO, for the same reason I refused to keep giving my money to the cable company.  I get that Roku is ready to blow up into the next Netflix or whatever, but there’s already a Netflix and even they aren’t in the same class as HBO.  Now don’t get all twisted up I loved “Stranger Things”, the first season and “Lost in Space”, the first season and well Netflix is a staple but HBO really brings it consistently like the Beatles or Prince.  Of course Roku is no slouch, they bring it too, like Sony did with the Walkman!  But when did Sony ever act like they were entitled to a share of the profits just because they had a device that a significant portion of audiences preferred.  It’s okay though, all the Roku fanboys don’t need to explain market shares or the art of the deal to me, I get it, it’s not you Roku it’s me.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@philmmaker wrote:

“First let me confess that I didn’t read @vike‘s entire post but I have read many of these articles -CNET, Vox, Endgadget.. Ultimately for me, I chose Roku because they were strictly device oriented.  I had the first AppleTV but they played little gatekeeper games because they had certain conflicts of interest when it came to iTunes etc.  So I turned to Roku and never looked back I have 3 now.  An old one that I setup in the garage for the elliptical and one we only use for travel since we got the 4K one.  I also got one for my Mom and my sister got one based on my recommendation.  Roku makes great devices that work reliably and that is why I am an avid supporter.

When I was 9, HBO happened in my house.  I remember watching Animalympics over and over & Flash (with the Queen soundtrack).  As I grew up I came to rely on HBO for the best television had to offer -“Larry Sanders”, “Sopranos”, “Rome”, “The Wire”, yada yada..”GOT” & “John Oliver”.

The world has shifted, now I stream but it hasn’t been easy cutting the cord.  Now I’m just so tired of having to figure out the next new set of hoops I’ve got to jump through, to get the few shows that I want.  I refuse to buy a new 4K AppleTV just for HBO, for the same reason I refused to keep giving my money to the cable company.  I get that Roku is ready to blow up into the next Netflix or whatever, but there’s already a Netflix and even they aren’t in the same class as HBO.  Now don’t get all twisted up I loved “Stranger Things”, the first season and “Lost in Space”, the first season and well Netflix is a staple but HBO really brings it consistently like the Beatles or Prince.  Of course Roku is no slouch, they bring it too, like Sony did with the Walkman!  But when did Sony ever act like they were entitled to a share of the profits just because they had a device that a significant portion of audiences preferred.  It’s okay though, all the Roku fanboys don’t need to explain market shares or the art of the deal to me, I get it, it’s not you Roku it’s me.

And yet more condescension.  Offer a logical, different opinion that brokers in reality and you're a "fanboy."  Typical.  Good luck with that Oompa Loompa.

0 Kudos