Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vike
Level 9

Re: HBO Max App is available everywhere else today, why not on Roku?

Jump to solution

@emclusk wrote:

Unacceptable. Time to ditch Roku for Apple TV boxes if this isn't fixed soon.

Seems kinda like cutting off your leg because you're tired of a toe ring; if you're worried about channels, apps, etc. (much less cost) Apple would be immeasurably worse.  If I was going to ditch Roku & Amazon, I'd probably just go with an Invidia Shield and run Android TV.  HBO MAX is working fine there - been watching it on an Sony Smart TV w/Android since the launch.

Again, "fixing" this is really up to AT&T.  The bottom line is that HBO NOW is working fine on Roku today, and AT&T could easily have renamed the app and added MAX content, and Roku would have no say in that, but for some reason that wasn't good enough.  Instead they want to change the way the app operates in Roku's environment, and for that they need to reach a new deal.  So yes, Roku is unwilling to accept the new app without that deal, but it's also true that AT&T doesn't want to deliver the new content through the existing app.  Both parties bear a share of the blame, but I mainly hold AT&T accountable for withholding MAX content from HBO NOW subscribers when they had been promising it to them for months.

I'm just glad I didn't take that discount deal offered in May and been left paying MAX money for the NOW service - everyone on those 12mo deals should certainly be allowed to drop them.  Once HBO is off my cable package in the next week or so, I'll just ignore HBO MAX until they fix this nonsense.

RukoPOW
Level 8

Jump to solution

I cannot believe Roku is pulling this stunt with its customers, essentially holding us hostage so that they can negotiate and enrich themselves.  Why are Disney+ and Netflix allowed to have standalone apps but not HBO Max?  

I have a Roku device in every room and encouraged all of my family to buy Rokus because the platform was neutral and did not pick a side between Apple, Google, and Amazon.  It was the one device where you could watch everything and not have to pick a "camp".

At this point, it looks like Apple TV is the consistently the best option so I'll migrate all of my TVs over to those devices and craigslist my Rokus before people realize what is happening here.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I'm sure they have agreements with Netflix, Disney, Hulu, etc., and those agreements will be subject to renegotiation at some point. Hope for the best but expect more blackouts.

0 Kudos
TheAmster
Level 7

Jump to solution

I get my HBOMAX free with my AT&T wireless plan. So I’m lucky in that regard. At home on my ranch in the sticks of San Diego, I just watch on my iPad. But when I drive to the house in to the city, I can see it on the smart tv. I hope the powers that be figure it out for everyone soon! 🙏

0 Kudos
SkepticalUser
Level 7

Jump to solution

Wow, you were able to put up this post with literally no new or pertinent information!

Thanks for more corporate empty, patronizing BS! Deftly done!

(P.S. I think the question was ‘when?’ Why don’t you try answering that BEFORE the BS?)

(P.P.S- is anyone else seeing ads for the new TIVo Product? It supports HBO Max! - See how that works? That is Pertinent information.)

Level 8

Jump to solution

Max is the same price as Now. If you took the preorder deal, it's $3 cheaper and you still get Now on Roku.

0 Kudos
drbruce2
Level 11

Jump to solution

It is now 9 days since HBO Max debuted, and it is still not on Roku. There must be plenty of people with Roku who are a bit perturbed by this. Many of people are threatening to leave the Roku universe for alternative ways of streaming. Google must be in a state of glee because every day's delay brings them more customers and more money.

Spaz
Level 8

Jump to solution

We had our 1st chromecast for 1week now and by my surprise my wife and I both like using the remote through our phones. 1 roku disconnected 2 to go and all my subscriptions canceled from roku !! 

drbruce2
Level 11

Jump to solution

Do you think Roku is listening. 9 days after rollout, and still no HBO Max. I guess they expect the grumbling people to do just that-grumble.

JohnConor216996
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yeah, way to support your customers. I now have an Android Box and stream it due to the fact that you don't put your customers over squeezing every penny you can into your accounts. Adios, Roku 

0 Kudos