Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: HBO max not working

Jump to solution

@AngieinWAState wrote:

I've been using the HBOmax app for about six to eight weeks, when I finally found it available for my TCL Roku Smart TV. 

Recently it's taking minutes not seconds to load the home screen. Then sometimes when I play a program, it dumps out to the program page. But today, while trying to load and watch In The Heights? 

I can sign in, choose my profile from our account, the film is up top on the home screen. I push the arrow and the film starts to load and about 2 seconds in the app dumps me out to the TCL Home screen. 

Repeatedly.

I've checked, the tv and the app are both up to date. 

This is the last in a long line of problems with this app and my TV.

Is there some tech issue between TCL Roku smart TVs and the current version of the HBOmax app which I should be aware of? 

My TV:

TCL Roku TV 5121X

TCL Model: 40FS3750

Serial Number: 2N0020076233 

Software version: 10.0.0 build 4195-08 

My internet provider: Xfinity from Clark County, Washington, USA 

That particular issue is a known issue thats been present since HBO released the HBO Max app for Roku.

If you haven't already, reinstall the HBO Max app:

1) Remove the HBO Max app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2) RESTART the Roku TV (Settings/System/Power/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Re-install the app

(Otherwise, settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

If that doesnt change any behavior for the app, try starting the particular show/movie on another device for a minute or three then pausing it (e.g another Roku, or on a phone/tablet, or with a browser), and then resume it with the app on your Roku TV.

0 Kudos
SugarDarling
Channel Surfer

Re: HBO MAX stopped working on all of my devices tonight. Is there a problem with the service?

Jump to solution

How were you able to uninstall the channel?? That option is missing with the APP I have installed on my Roku 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: HBO MAX stopped working on all of my devices tonight. Is there a problem with the service?

Jump to solution

@SugarDarling wrote:

How were you able to uninstall the channel?? That option is missing with the APP I have installed on my Roku 

If the "Remove" option is missing for your app, that means you subscribed to it through Roku Pay.

You'll need to cancel your Roku-based subscription first before you can remove the app.

(Yes, this is an absurdly dumb design decision by Roku)

https://support.roku.com/article/232010488   <-- Remove app help

https://support.roku.com/article/208756478  <-- Unsubscribe help

0 Kudos
icwalt

Jump to solution

Hi,

Got HBO Max last week through Roku but can not find any programming after identifying viewer. My only recourse is going to streaming channels and selecting a movie or tv series from HBOMax. Even then, the audio plays with a black screen for 20 seconds before video arrives. All other channels run well on Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @icwalt

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

We would recommend following the troubleshooting steps suggested by @StreamerUser above and see if that will resolve the issue. 

If after attempting the suggestions above, you are still experiencing the same issue while videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves.

You can reach HBO Max Support here: https://help.hbomax.com/

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Myabee1993

Jump to solution

Mine just did this I can't watch anything. Help. 

0 Kudos
Tr1

Jump to solution

I am experiencing this issue today 6/26/2021 so it was clearly not fixed 3 weeks ago. 

I have checked that my Roku operating system is above 9.3. It is 10

i have uninstalled and reinstalled the HBOMax channel ap in Roku and restarted my Roku. 

I am at a loss. Very unsatisfied that this is happening. Who controls the fix? Or will both HBO and Roku point their fingers at the other company? If I need to purchase another devise it won’t be a Roku. Firestick seems to have fewer issues

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

HBO codes the HBO Max app, and is responsible for it (and fixing it).

Did you restart your Roku between removing the app and re-adding it? 

1) Remove app 2) Restart 3) Re-add app   <--- Must do in this order

I recommend getting a FireTV device to implement a multi-platform streaming strategy (to bypass the effects of app carriage/compatibility/functionality/availability issues).

0 Kudos
Dragonseye
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My HiSense ROKU TV is also having this problem. It worked fine for months until tonight. Tried a system restart and reinstalling the app. Still no dice.

0 Kudos
Dragonseye
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max: An unknown error has occurred. Please contact TV provider

Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip. Rebooting before reinstalling seems to have done the trick.

0 Kudos