Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Corvettester
Level 7

HBO MAX not showing 4K content on ROKU Ultra (2020)

I have a Samsung 4K UHD TV with a ROKU Ultra (2020). HBO MAX is running OK with my AT&T account. The problem is that the movie WW84 info states HD resolution and 5.1. On the TV app of HBO MAX it shows 4K UHD Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos audio. How come ROKU Ultra (2020) isn’t showing 4K? Netflix does show 4K content on the ROKU Ultra so the 4K is working for that streaming. 

0 Kudos
31 Replies
iPhoneNerd
Level 7

Re: HBO MAX not showing 4K content on ROKU Ultra (2020)

Same here! I can’t seem to figure out why!

0 Kudos
Poohsta3
Level 7

I’m here for same reason. Does it actually play in 4k and it’s mislabeled? 

iPhoneNerd
Level 7

I believe so. When I hit Details on my actually TV button it says DOLBY vision. They should patch this ASAP 

0 Kudos
Corvettester
Level 7

I just check the TV and it showed 4K UHD at 24 FPS and Dolby Atmos. The description says HD. HBO MAX should update the description. I should have checked the TV info. 

0 Kudos
cabritozavala
Level 7

I noticed that with the Roku ultra the tv ALWAYS shows that the feed is 4k, dolby, etc.  Even when playing HD non HDR content, i think it's always upscaling.

So, i'm not sure how to tell if Wonder Woman is playing in actual 4k, since the feed is Always 4k.  Unless i change it to 1080p, but if i do that the quality looks the same.  Long story short, i don't think it's playing in 4k, i think the Roku is upscaling the feed for you.  

0 Kudos
Antidogma
Level 7

I have the same issue with my Roku Premiere, but it is not just with WW84. I don't get any 4K UHD content from HBO Max and Prime Video, at all. I do not have a subscription to Netflix, at the moment.

I do, however, get HDR through, though. So, no more pixels but better pixels!

My internet connection is good, and it ranges around 50 Mbps, and I placed an extender right next to the Roku Premiere. This should be plenty of bandwidth to pull 4K content, as the recommended minimum is 25 Mbps.

When I run the Settings/Display Type in Auto Detect mode on my Roku Premiere, I am told that the HDMI connection to my TV supports 4K at 60 fps, runs 4K content protection (HDCP 2.2), but limits 4K HDR10 at 30 fps. 

So, that's my issue: my TV is model number UN60JU6400, which is a relatively older Samsung model I bought in 2016. It has 4K UHD, but it runs it at 30 fps, and it does not have HDR capabilities. Newer smart TVs have a setting for HDMI UHD Color but all my has is a 10-point white balance, that didn't do the trick. This may have to do with some backward compatibility with BluRay players, and it uses the older HDMI 1.4 version, rather than the newer HDMI 2.0, but I am not sure about it.

What I think is going on is that those 4K-capable apps developed on the Roku platform by the providers expect the full 4K/HDR at 60 fps capability before letting 4K/HDR content through. But because HDMI 2.0 is not detected, then they prevent 4K UHD/HDR streaming, even though most 4K UHD content is streamed at only 24 fps.

The only hope is that content providers such as HBO Max and Prime Video may realize that and patch their Roku apps by allowing 4K UHD non-HDR content through, but good luck with that!

0 Kudos
Purewitz
Level 8

HBO Max is indeed capable of 4K HDR on 4K HDR Roku Devices & TV. HBO Max just hasn't updated the Roku app with proper description labeling. As long as you are seeing the HDR notification, you are getting 4K as well. Streaming services don't bother putting HDR on 1080p HD videos, it's not worth it at that resolution. Also, it is worth noting that only Wonder Woman 1984 is currently available in 4K HDR, all other videos on HBO Max are still in 1080p HD. 

Here is more info on Wonder Woman 1984 and 4K HDR support on HBO Max: https://help.hbomax.com/Answer/Detail/2957

0 Kudos
Corvettester
Level 7

That is not true. I have a 114 Mbps down load from Spectrum. On the Samsung 4K HDR10+ with Dolby Atmos and neither are being used even thou the movie WW84 states 4K and Atmos.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@cabritozavala wrote:

I noticed that with the Roku ultra the tv ALWAYS shows that the feed is 4k, dolby, etc.  Even when playing HD non HDR content, i think it's always upscaling.

So, i'm not sure how to tell if Wonder Woman is playing in actual 4k, since the feed is Always 4k.  Unless i change it to 1080p, but if i do that the quality looks the same.  Long story short, i don't think it's playing in 4k, i think the Roku is upscaling the feed for you.  

There is a setting in the Ultra 4800 to turn DV on at all times, and it's enabled by default. I have no idea why Roku even has that setting, as DV should only be enabled for actual DV content, and it really shouldn't be enabled by default. I suggest everyone turn that setting off. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos