Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: HBO MAX is coming??

Well, that is somewhat disappointing news.   However, it will be cheaper (initially, year 1) to get HBO MAX directly from HBO, rather than to continue with HBO NOW via ROKU.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Will I at least be able to watch HBOMAX on Roku when it comes out?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I'll say just wait until we heard a word about HBO Max making an agreement with Roku or when the service comes out in Many 27. This has happened before when Disney+ made an agreement with Amazon Fire TV just 5 days before its launch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Highlighted

I'm not totally clear on this. The article says that HBO MAX might be a separate app like Disney+

How is that different than the current option on Roku for HBO Now?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

What it means is that WarnerMedia doesn't want HBO Max to be a channel add-on for The Roku Channel.

"The main sticking points on a HBO Max/Roku agreement likely revolve around how big a cut of subscription fees Roku will take, as well as WarnerMedia’s apparent insistence that HBO Max be made available as an app (without the option of being a channel add-on in the Roku Channel)." - Todd Spangler, Variety

@putteringalong wrote:

I'm not totally clear on this. The article says that HBO MAX might be a separate app like Disney+

Highlighted
Level 10

@putteringalong wrote:

What they're referring to is similar to how Hulu kind of does it as well. You can get an add-on for the Roku Channel which would be HBO Max and built into the Roku Channel as opposed to a stand-alone Channel like HBO Now, Disney+, etc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@putteringalong wrote:

Me too - according to HBO Max website the upgrade from Now to Max is not available through subscription services like Roku

???????????????????

I understand the "upgrade" such having a provider that has a deal with HBO and so long as you already subscribe to HBO the TV channel as part of your service from one of those providers, then you get Max for free. So what would happen to people that get HBO Max directly through already subscribing to HBO Now, or through Hulu with the HBO add on etc? Which to me this is almost like a catch-22.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@Bigj011p wrote:

@putteringalong wrote:

Me too - according to HBO Max website the upgrade from Now to Max is not available through subscription services like Roku

???????????????????

I understand the "upgrade" such having a provider that has a deal with HBO and so long as you already subscribe to HBO the TV channel as part of your service from one of those providers, then you get Max for free. So what would happen to people that get HBO Max directly through already subscribing to HBO Now, or through Hulu with the HBO add on etc? Which to meet this is almost like a catch-22

HBO Now subscribers (who are billed directly by Apple, Google, or HBO themselves via browser) can transfer over to Max with no additional cost. Hulu subscribers who have HBO as an add-on will also get Max for no additional cost as well.
And another thing, Apple TV users that pay for HBO as one of Apple TV Channels will also be granted to transfer over to Max for no additional cost, and Max will also be available as one of the new hubs on Apple TV Channels.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@sshaff wrote:

I have the same problem/concerns.  Evidently an HBO service setup via Roku will not automatically be updated to Max.  Consequently, I've terminated by HBO Now Service with Roku (cancelled today) and have set up a new HBO Now account directly with HBO that WILL be update to Max when the time comes.  However, when I try to add that new account to the Roku, the response is that I've entered an incorrect ID and Password because it doesn't match the account as setup originally via Roku.  I'm now wondering if I have to completely deactivate my Roku and reinstall.  I hate to do that as I will probably lose all my Roku programming.  Any ideas about that??  Thanks

The problem is though there will not be a channel for you to even download even if you sign up for Max directly or get it via HBO Now (which will still coexist at least for the time being alongside Max), or through Hulu like me. Unfortunately as of me typing my response to you, you're going to have to use a completely different device away from the Roku unfortunate to be able to get Max.

0 Kudos