Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

HBO MAX is coming??

I currently have HBO NOW on/thru my ROKU service.....But will I get upgraded (switched over) to HBO MAX in May 2020....or...must I drop HBO NOW from ROKU  and then subscribe to HBO MAX directly from HBO??

EDIT:  I gave up....cancelled "HBO Now" thru ROKU and took the special priced deal with HBO directly.  

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
74 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO MAX is coming??

I have the same question?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

is hbo max coming to roku This may because we benn wating long for it? and i can't wait to watch the movies and tv shows and animation programs i want. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Me too - according to HBO Max website the upgrade from Now to Max is not available through subscription services like Roku

???????????????????

Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same problem/concerns.  Evidently an HBO service setup via Roku will not automatically be updated to Max.  Consequently, I've terminated by HBO Now Service with Roku (cancelled today) and have set up a new HBO Now account directly with HBO that WILL be update to Max when the time comes.  However, when I try to add that new account to the Roku, the response is that I've entered an incorrect ID and Password because it doesn't match the account as setup originally via Roku.  I'm now wondering if I have to completely deactivate my Roku and reinstall.  I hate to do that as I will probably lose all my Roku programming.  Any ideas about that??  Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I did deactivate my account also, saw the sale and decided to wait.  I had an experience with Disney+ where I got the sale off of Disney website and had to wait a day after activation for roku to recognize.  Wonder if that will be the same for HBOMax,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I guess the big question right now is whether or not HBO Max will be available as an app through 3rd party providers (like Roku, Amazon or Apple TV).  If it is made available that way, then HBO Now will be obsolete and probably discontinued since HBO Max will have more content for the same price.  If not, then you will have to go straight to HBO for the subscription and watch on a computer.  

Which, to be clear, would suck.

Highlighted

I signed up for HBO Max on the HBO site and used a different email address.

I have three Rokus and was able to sign out of HBO NOW on two of them and sign back in using the HBO user email. The third Roku wouldn't let me sign out, after rebooting it a couple of times I finally deleted the Roku app and then reloaded it. I was then able to log in to all three Roku HBO Now apps using my new HBO credentials.

Hopefully, when the Max service comes on line Roku will have an available app to stream it...

Got my fingers crossed

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Here's part of what I read on cNet, article link at the bottom:

"If you subscribe to HBO Now through a third-party service -- such as on a platform like Amazon Prime Video Channels or Roku, or through an internet provider or if you signed up for the service via the Android app -- you won't necessarily be upgraded, as the billing there isn't handled directly by HBO...
...Regardless of if you have HBO Now or HBO from a cable provider, the price is generally the same: $14.99 per month. That price is also the same as a new HBO Max subscription, so if you're paying for HBO and not getting it bundled for free, our advice is to switch to being billed directly by HBO, or just cancel it through your current third-party method and then sign up for HBO Max when it launches." 

Full article from May 13, 2020: https://www.cnet.com/news/free-hbo-max-all-the-ways-to-upgrade-if-you-already-have-hbo-or-hbo-now/

Highlighted

From the Cord Cutters website this AM:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/will-hbo-max-be-available-on-roku/

Roku spokesperson reached out with the following statement:

“As the #1 streaming platform in the US with over 40 million active accounts that rely upon Roku to access their favorite programs and to discover new content, we are focused on entering into win-win distribution agreements with all new OTT services as part of their launch strategies. While we don’t typically comment on specific deal terms or negotiations, the fact is that in this instance while we believe that HBOMax would benefit greatly from distribution on Roku at launch, we do not currently have an agreement in place.”