Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: HBO MAX is coming??

Same. And HBO was pretty unclear about what services they were and weren’t on. When I contacted their customer service they were rude. They also don’t give refunds. It’s not as though I was unhappy with a product experience. There was no product for me. 

Highlighted
Level 9

IS  not  ONLY HBO ..any of the premium channels & most Monthly  payments APPS ...U can cancel them , before starts or get it cancel when your monthly payment due in each month .. about this  HBOMAX U can do the same , in the mean time , they gave U  HBONOW to use! just be patient like i am till available  ...Roku & other devices gonna get it soon!  

Highlighted
Level 8

Nah, HBOnow is not anything I want. HBOMax was the product I wanted and subbed to. Not hbonow

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Highlighted
Level 8

I want you to not get into a stand off. Please settle amicably. Right now I fault HBO. I do not want content creators impacting devices. 

Use your community with greater transparency to support Roku. 

People pay content providers for content and devices for the interface.

Highlighted
Level 9

@JohnRFallon wrote:

I want you to not get into a stand off. Please settle amicably. Right now I fault HBO. I do not want content creators impacting devices. 

Use your community with greater transparency to support Roku. 

People pay content providers for content and devices for the interface.

I'm going to have to disagree partially, in my opinion, both HBO Max and Roku are both to blame. They are both acting like greedy children who refuse to even come to an agreement. They don't know the meaning of the word agree.

Level 11

@JohnRFallon I’m interested in hearing your rationale for faulting HBO in this. HBO is on record that they want to be on the Roku platform and have an app ready to publish there. Apparently, Roku will not let them. One of the things that attracted me and others to Roku was that it was originally an open, neutral platform that allowed most anyone to publish a streaming app (channel) on Roku without having to pay Roku. It seems this is no longer the case, at least for large commercial content providers with ongoing subscription revenue. Roku wants a cut of the content provider’s profits and, judging from this standoff, an unreasonably large one. If I were HBO, I wouldn’t pay them a dime.

I invested in Roku devices very early on because Roku was open and, therefore, did not restrict content like other devices, not because of Roku’s interface (which is not great). Now, Roku is increasingly becoming no different than a cable company and uses the same tactics, to the detriment of the user.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/1/21117919/roku-fox-apps-carriage-agreement-super-bowl-deal

So, again, how is HBO at fault here?

Highlighted
Level 8

I do not know who is wanting a cut. Neither should have a cut. 

I am not sure that Roku is requesting money. Neither should HBO. 

Roku should remain neutral.

I will drop HBO Now in a month till both companies work it out. I do not pay Roku for HBO Now and was already questioning whether HBO was worthwhile. 

If HBO wants more money for HBO Max, charge me for it. Let me choose.

If Roku wants a cut to create a specific button the remote (it is there now), then HBO should pay them as a deal. I could care less about the buttons but I am sure that they are fighting for that position. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

That does help to use screen mirror. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I read the article on Verge you posted that is down now. From that article, I now understand this is about a percentage of ad revenue and mirrors the model that Google uses.

HBO can raise their price to cover the cost of all the additional content or make multiple changes. Neither company is transparent.

I tend to side with Roku on this so far since HBO was unable to get along with most of the providers except for Apple which is the most desperate of the content providers.

Time Warner has a history of not playing well with others and messing up partnerships. AOL was once the top email and messaging service until Time Warner bought and destroyed it overplaying its hand about the importance of its content.

We need to support the device and the ad revenue to the device to support continued development of the device.

The alternative is cable with bundled cable.

HBO Max is a huge bundled channel with a large library I can't watch. I like access to the library but hte device helps me have the front end that makes all that content manageable. 

0 Kudos