Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: HBO MAX channel not working

Jump to solution

I had a similar issue: Black screen launching HBO Max channel after signing up for the 1 month free trial through Roku.

My solution:

1. Navigate to hbomax.com
  2. Forget password
  3. Enter email address associated with Roku account
  4. Reset password and login to HBO Max account
  5. Restart Roku device
  6. Launch HBO Max

I tried all of the channel install/remove, device restart, add subscription, cancel subscription nonsense posted on this forum. Clearly wasn't my issue. It appears to be a bad credential hand-off from Roku to HBO Max when signing up for the free trial. Once I verified my HBO Max account was active on their website, things worked well.

Prattfallchris
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same problem and it’s a new subscription. Just wanted to watch peacemaker. I turned off/on the Roku smarttv and I restarted it after deleting and reinstalling the app. I restarted the TV before reinstalling the app too. HBO and Roku are just pointing fingers. I checked for updated and app says it’s updated. 

0 Kudos
Prattfallchris
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Using a TCL Roku TV.

0 Kudos
Prattfallchris
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I got my HBOMAX app to work by downloading the app on my phone. I logged out of all devices. I changed my password using forgot password. I verified my email. I checked settings in the hbomax app. I looked at manage devices and subscriptions and everything was updated. 

0 Kudos
noted1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

this did not work for me

0 Kudos
Prattfallchris
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I used the mobile app and I signed in online on my computer browser to hbomax.com. Before I changed my password and verified my account email the subscription wasn’t updated. 

0 Kudos
Prattfallchris
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Worked for me. 

1. On your phone, launch the HBO Max app. Then go to SettingsDevices and sign out of all your devices.
  2. Now, remove the HBO Max from Roku and restart the device.
  3. After restarting Roku, reinstall HBO Max.

The reason you need to sign out of all the devices is that Roku might be holding onto your old HBO login information. As a result, the new HBO Max channel will crash.

Alternatively, you can also unsubscribe from HBO. Then remove the HBO channel and restart your Roku device. Re-add the HBO Max channel after you did all that.

0 Kudos
noted1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I followed your directions.

Yet the HBO Max channel continues to not work (Logo on purple screen briefly, replaced with black screen with three rotating dots at bottom. Screen disappears in about 30 seconds and I am kicked back to a Roku screen.)

0 Kudos
tvanson

Jump to solution

I had similar problems.  I watch HBO Max through my Roku.  Apparently, I'd used a different email address for each of them.  Changed my email address to match both and that seems to have cleared up my problem.

0 Kudos
jhends

Jump to solution

I restarted my Roku TV by going to Settings / System/Power/restart

HBO Max, which was not loading previously, loaded successfully

0 Kudos