Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Worganhunter
Binge Watcher

Re: HBO MAX channel not working

Jump to solution

This has been an ongoing problem since October.  Welcome to the unhappy collective.

Keb11
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue. What good is a month free when you can’t use it. I have done all the reboots/updates/reinstalls. Nothing works. All the other channels work except this one. Very frustrating. It won’t launch black screen then back to the Home Screen. 

Keb11
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It’s your platform. It’s a black black screen. The app doesn’t load. That’s not my internet issue as everything else works. Thats not HBO, that’s Roku platform not loading the app to be able to login it select the content. 

if we get HBO max through signing up with Roku how do we access it separately through HBOmax app on say a cell phone? 
the email and password combination doesn’t work. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. We'd like to investigate and try to help.

A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: 

1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device? What Roku model device are you using?
2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
3. What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?
With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Worganhunter
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Mary-F,

I am using several RoKu Devices

Roku Ultra 4640X and two 4800R units (all have recently been updated)

This only happens with HBOMax for me - (updated to last build)

I used to get an error code (104), now the channel tries to load but I am returned to the home screen

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

To clarify, please make sure when removing a channel, you restart your Roku device before adding the channel back again, specifically in that order.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bruce6

Jump to solution

I just signed up for the HBO Max 30 day trial from your email offer.  When I click on the HBO Max app, it thinks and returns to the Roku home screen.  I did update the Roku and the HBO Max app. There was no change. 

Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @Bruce6

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Does the issue only occur on HBO Max or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System System restart Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Worganhunter
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Why is it that this is the only response that WE get from you guys?  This will make the 8th response like this I have SEEN from Roku.  I follow the directions and nothing happens, I send all the info you require, nothing happens… then I start getting these “did you uninstall the application and then restart the unit” emails…. TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE THREAD ON THE ROKU COMMUNITY SITE!  This is an issue that impacts multiple customers and Roku Support doesn't even take the time to review the Community input to see what the problem is. There is a ton of work on the issue already done by end users ... take the time to read the thread!  I left DTV over this level of customer service.  Obviously Roku has contracted DirectTV/AT&T customer service dept to cut costs.  If I have to use AirPlay to view HBOMax anyway, why not just get an AppleTV device and skip a step.

@RokuKariza-D wrote:

Hello @Bruce6

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Does the issue only occur on HBO Max or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System System restart Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

0 Kudos
Worganhunter
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Wait for the email from Roku that tells you to uninstall the app, then reset the system through settings, then reinstall the app - when it still fails to load you can repost that it doesn't work. They will send you an email asking for the Make and Model of your unit, OS version of your Roku...after you do this you will not hear back from them until you post again.  Then they will repeat the same email as above but from another "customer service" representative repeating the same as above.  Don't expect anything from HBOMax either, I think they all use the DTV/AT&T customer service format - making you jump through hoops until you give up.  This issue has been going on since October and they still have not gotten it fixed