Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jontalk
Level 7

HBO Go streaming issues on Roku 3 firmware 8.1

Using a high speed wired connection (80+ mbps) with my 4200X Roku 3, in the past couple of weeks I've had buffering/stalling issues when watching films. After removing, power cycling and adding the channel back, it clears up but only for a day or so, then returns. I've reported it to HBO Go support and they claim they're unable to duplicate it. Up until recently I've never had problems though the coincidence seems tied to the recent 8.1 firmware update. All other channels (Netflix, Vudu, You Tube, etc) work perfectly so I'm curious if anyone else with a Roku 3 has experienced this with HBO. I really don't want to do a factory reset but if it continues its the only solution left. Thanks
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: HBO Go streaming issues on Roku 3 firmware 8.1

"jontalk" wrote:
Using a high speed wired connection (80+ mbps) with my 4200X Roku 3, in the past couple of weeks I've had buffering/stalling issues when watching films. After removing, power cycling and adding the channel back, it clears up but only for a day or so, then returns. I've reported it to HBO Go support and they claim they're unable to duplicate it. Up until recently I've never had problems though the coincidence seems tied to the recent 8.1 firmware update. All other channels (Netflix, Vudu, You Tube, etc) work perfectly so I'm curious if anyone else with a Roku 3 has experienced this with HBO. I really don't want to do a factory reset but if it continues its the only solution left. Thanks

Does it happen immediately?

I'm using the same model right now with the same firmware, but not having a single issue.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 7

If you run a trace route to their IP does it show any issues in the hops? Immediately when you notice the buffering, go tracert the ip of the service and see where the hops go delayed. That is usually the cause of things like this moreso than the channel providers. They have limited tubes to get the dump trucks of data to your house. Along the way one of the hops will become saturated for just a moment, but enough to cause (like on the freeway when the lanes go from 5 to 3 for a short section as a calming measure past a town with no sound barriers) a spot where traffic will congest for hours until traffic eases. Time of day affects this greatly, if this were during prime time I would not be at all suprised.

Maybe HBO was having that node DDOS'd? You never know. If this repeats itself and you can predict a pattern and is ongoing, then this isn't just a congestion issue. Its a serious traffic shaping issue for HBO. As people pay them for this service having it work flawlessly is expected. You may have to call 1-800 HBO and ask for their HBO tech guys department and explain to them which IP of theirs causes the hiccups. You can do more investigating for them on your side and give them info to expose it on their side.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
"jontalk" wrote:

Does it happen immediately?

I'm using the same model right now with the same firmware, but not having a single issue.

No..it happens at or around the 45 min to one hour mark during a movie. I don't watch many of the HBO series except for Real Time, so I've only experienced it with films. The first symptom is a severe drop in resolution followed by the loading bar which in some cases never progresses. As to the other response about tracing IP, I have no idea how to do that though the rest of the comment regarding traffic and their data centers makes sense. It just seems a bit odd that for years using the same setup I never had this problem. I watch content on an LG 55" OLED, so it's pretty frustrating.
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 7

"speechles" wrote:
If you run a trace route to their IP does it show any issues in the hops? Immediately when you notice the buffering, go tracert the ip of the service and see where the hops go delayed. That is usually the cause of things like this moreso than the channel providers. They have limited tubes to get the dump trucks of data to your house. Along the way one of the hops will become saturated for just a moment, but enough to cause (like on the freeway when the lanes go from 5 to 3 for a short section as a calming measure past a town with no sound barriers) a spot where traffic will congest for hours until traffic eases. Time of day affects this greatly, if this were during prime time I would not be at all suprised.

Maybe HBO was having that node DDOS'd? You never know. If this repeats itself and you can predict a pattern and is ongoing, then this isn't just a congestion issue. Its a serious traffic shaping issue for HBO. As people pay them for this service having it work flawlessly is expected. You may have to call 1-800 HBO and ask for their HBO tech guys department and explain to them which IP of theirs causes the hiccups. You can do more investigating for them on your side and give them info to expose it on their side.

I have contacted support who took down the app version, IP, gateway and MAC address I provided and they tell me they can't duplicate it, though I doubt they wait long enough. Since it doesn't happen for at least 30-40 minutes its unlikely their support team is taking the time. I have no idea how to run a trace from my Roku or network to their data centers. It just seems odd that up until the 8.1 firmware release the problem never occurred. Logic dictates there's a connection between the firmware and maintaining the handshake with the servers the films are located.
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I'll continue testing then.  I only watched about 20-minutes of Alien: Director's Cut.  I'll leave a few movies playing and report back.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 7

You need to run HBO Go on your PC with chrome or firefox. http://downdetector.com/status/level3/map/
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 7

"speechles" wrote:
You need to run HBO Go on your PC with chrome or firefox. http://downdetector.com/status/level3/map/OK thanks for all the info. I wonder if doing a factory reset would actually improve anything, though as I say, Netflix or other movie channels don't exhibit the problem. After removing, power cycling and installing the app last night, the move I was watching ran without issues to the end. Having done that process several times now in the past couple of weeks, its tiring. Perhaps the coincidence between the firmware update and the buffering problem is just a coincidence though it does seem fishy. Unfortunately, I'm unable to reinstall the previous firmware version where the problem never happened.
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
I'll continue testing then.  I only watched about 20-minutes of Alien: Director's Cut.  I'll leave a few movies playing and report back.

Shawn, is there any connection between HBO servers and Roku's? The 8.1 firmware seems to be buggier than previous versions since I notice minor hiccups with other channels (Newsy, Yahoo, Cnet). I tried doing the secret panel thing to revert to the previous version but it won't allow me...Anyway I can install it another way?
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

No to both questions.  HBO provides the CDN.  The channel pulls the feeds directly from HBO.

I'm now a little over an hour into Alien, and haven't noticed any downgrade of resolution or anything else out of the ordinary.  The issue is likely with your ISP.

You could try resetting your modem to see if that helps, or take the Roku to a friend's house to see if the issue continues to happen there.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos