Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nockam
Level 7

Google play movies - offline playback

I need a device for my car to play Google play movies offline. Does anyone know if a Roku can do this?

On my tablets and phones Google play has the option to download videos purchased on their store to local storage for offline playback. I'm looking for a way to get those movies on my cars built in entertainment system. Power and HDMI are not a problem, just need something that doesn't require internet and can do offline playback of Google play movies content.

I've tried searching but can't find if this feature is available in and Roku devices.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Google play movies - offline playback

Since you can't store movies on a Roku, your only way to do it would be on a USB-connected hard drive. Now you'd have two things. I think you'd be better off with a tablet or phone that has a large SD/MICROSD card, that also supports audio and video out. The Roku can probably do what you're asking, but not nearly as easy, in my opinion.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Wilbour
Level 7

From my limited experimentation, I was able to purchase a movie from Google play and watch it from the phone but I needed to tether my phone to keep the video playing. I believe the video is being played from the SD card on my phone but the internet connection is to keep the Roku from playing the movie without validation as per Google rules

But I could be wrong

* By tethered I mean turning my phone into a noble hot spot
0 Kudos
Wilbour
Level 7

Well it looks like the video was using my phones data to stream.

Too bad. Was looking forward to watching a copy of the movie I bought through the Roku stick without an internet connection.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Wilbour" wrote:
Well it looks like the video was using my phones data to stream.  

Too bad. Was looking forward to watching a copy of the movie I bought through the Roku stick without an internet connection.

See my reply in your other post.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

What you are asking for of being able to stream Google Play Movies saved for offline playback is not really something the Play store was designed to offer.  Roku supports the DIAL (Discovery and Launch) protocol which could allow Google to do some interesting things for a Roku channel that supports offline streaming from phone to Roku if *Google* selected to do so.  But last I checked, even Google Chromecast can not treat a Play Movie in offline mode as a stream source so it is unlikely Google will be providing a Roku channel to provide that anytimes soon.  

In terms of offline playback in general, it is technically possible but you need to jump through some hoops to do it.  The Roku is going to expect a Wireless Access Point device for it to join for networking including to assign the IP address.  If you put your phone in hotspot mode, that might work.  Then the source of the MP4 video files downloaded to the phone for offline play need to be in a DRM-free format.  Once you have all that, you can then stream the files from the phone using the official roku app.

If you are willing to keep an open mind in terms of what you are willing to watch, you can find plenty of things that are legally available in a DRM-free MP4 format.  Some of the sources I have purchased from include Humble Bundle (specific bundles have included comedy in MP4 video format) and Good Old Games.  I also download videos from the twit.tv podcast website.
0 Kudos