Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danrvm
Level 7

Re: Google Play Movies

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
I spoke with CS last evening after reading your post.  The consensus right now, other than the sheer number of titles, is that it's probably an internet connection issue.  You might want to contact Google support to see if they have a better DNS service for you to use.  (Google DNS servers may actually help alleviate the problem; it's never helped me personally with connection issues, but I've seen a lot of other people here on the forums who have better response times with either Google DNS or Open DNS).

Thank you but I'm experiencing this issue at other locations as well, and have used Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), my assigned Xfinity DNS, and Cloudflare/APNIC (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1). In my experience, differences in DNS translate to differences in milliseconds, perhaps seconds - not half a minute plus.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I'm alerting the Social/CS teams.  I'm hoping someone will reach out to you Monday, but no guarantees they can fix the issue Smiley Sad.

I know that's not what you want to hear, and I apologize.  There's just too many factors in streaming and local environments that can cause this particular type of issue.

As an aside, as funny as it may sound, try unplugging any electronics that may be nearby (microwave, stove, etc) that may be issuing interference.  Don't just turn them off ... unplug them (most electronics are "always-on").  Other than that, I've personally exhausted all my options/advice.  Hopefully CS can help.  Good luck!
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
I'm alerting the Social/CS teams.  I'm hoping someone will reach out to you Monday, but no guarantees they can fix the issue Smiley Sad.

I know that's not what you want to hear, and I apologize.  There's just too many factors in streaming and local environments that can cause this particular type of issue.

As an aside, as funny as it may sound, try unplugging any electronics that may be nearby (microwave, stove, etc) that may be issuing interference.  Don't just turn them off ... unplug them (most electronics are "always-on").  Other than that, I've personally exhausted all my options/advice.  Hopefully CS can help.  Good luck!

Might also try other bandwidths on your router, and/or other channels if you haven't already done so.  There's a possibility that a nearby router/connection could interfere and cause this behavior as well (not to mention, a next-door-neighbor's microwave).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
danrvm
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
Might also try other bandwidths on your router, and/or other channels if you haven't already done so.  There's a possibility that a nearby router/connection could interfere and cause this behavior as well (not to mention, a next-door-neighbor's microwave).

Other channels, like Vudo and Movies Anywhere, have no issue - even with the large library.
0 Kudos
BobRoberts
Level 7

"danrvm" wrote:
Yes, it is in HD but the real concern is the extremely long time it takes to launch. I think it is because I have a very large library of titles but apps like Vudu and Movies Anywhere launch very quickly.

I have almost 500 movies linked to GP via Movies Anywhere & UltraViolet. GP has no issue for me nor does Vudu, MA, FandangoNow or Amazon when playing anything from my library. Even UHD/4K play flawless.
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

GPM is so bad that if I get a movie on there only for free I watch it on Vudu.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
danrvm
Level 7

Here's how Google just responded:

I'd suggest you try the below steps and see if that helps:

1. Quit and reopen the Google Play Movies & TV app:

• Press the home button on your remote.

• Reopen Google Play Movies & TV [img=18x0]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DZbC0IhNG7p5buUon9unqXk8wZiKYVT-hmuRirv2YHYEsT--FBse4zrr-Ss02NuMCe_g=w18-h18[/img].

• Retry your video.

2. Make sure the Roku system software is up to date:

• Go to the Roku device's Settings menu.

• Select System update.

• If an update is available, follow the on-screen instructions to update the system.

• Retry your video.

3. Sign out of the Play app and sign back in:

• Open Google Play Movies & TV [img=18x0]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DZbC0IhNG7p5buUon9unqXk8wZiKYVT-hmuRirv2YHYEsT--FBse4zrr-Ss02NuMCe_g=w18-h18[/img].

• Select Settings > Sign out.

• Unplug the Roku device for 20 seconds, then plug it in and turn it back on.

• Go back to Settings and select Sign in. You'll need to enter a code at play.google.com/roku[/url:n3tqaica], which will be displayed on your device.

• Retry your video.

4. Delete and reinstall the Google Play Movies & TV app:

• Go to My Channels.

• Highlight Google Play Movies & TV [img=18x0]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DZbC0IhNG7p5buUon9unqXk8wZiKYVT-hmuRirv2YHYEsT--FBse4zrr-Ss02NuMCe_g=w18-h18[/img].

• Press the star button on your remote > Remove.

• Reinstall the app from the Channel Store.

• Retry the video after you've set up[/url:n3tqaica] the app.

5. Try playback on YouTube:

• Select the YouTube Channel

• Ensure that you are signed into the same account that purchased the content on Google Play.

• Navigate to purchased videos.

• Retry the video.

Have already tried 1-4 so we'll give #5 a try! ;)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Their #4 omitted a critical step. After uninstalling the channel your MUST reboot the Roku before reinstalling. I think that was mentioned in an earlier port, but just wanted to reinforce that step.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
danrvm
Level 7

"danrvm" wrote:
Here's how Google just responded:

5. Try playback on YouTube:

• Select the YouTube Channel

• Ensure that you are signed into the same account that purchased the content on Google Play.

• Navigate to purchased videos.

• Retry the video.

Have already tried 1-4 so we'll give #5 a try! ;)

I ran a test of item 5. The YouTube channel loaded quickly and my purchased titles launched in less than 5 seconds and played without issue.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I just checked my MA videos in YouTube and they are all there. Some are even labeled 4K. But I tried playing one and opened the debug menu to see what was streaming. It's showing a connection speed of 43 Mbps, but a resolution of only 854x480.  :shock: That's barely DVD quality. I've left it running to see if the resolution improves, but it hasn't budged. Never going to bother using YouTube to play my videos if it can't even offer my 4K titles in HD. Tried two different titles I have in 4K, and they both show 854x480 as the optimal resolution.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos