Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danrvm
Level 7

Re: Google Play Movies

"atc98092" wrote:
Don't agree. This Sharp TV is 4K, and it's every bit the equal of my Ultra for power and performance. Still, as I mentioned I wouldn't expect the channel to be slower loading because of the size of your library. The library doesn't appear to load until you actually select it. But of course it's always possible that something is going on in the background that is related to the library. Google is the only place you can get an answer to that, I'm afraid. It's their channel.

I'm glad you've had good experience with your smart TV app as that is not the norm primarily, I'm told, because most manufacturers are not good about updating their firmware after the equipment is a couple years old and the hardware is fixed.
As for where I can get an answer I agree and already approached Google through their related forum. I received one response but since the problem is not attributable to user error I'm not expecting the issue to really be addressed any further.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"danrvm" wrote:
...I have a very large library of titles but apps like Vudu and Movies Anywhere launch very quickly.

What’s “large?” Roughly how many titles in your Google Play Movies library?

I have 352 movies in mine. I don’t recall any issues loading it, but I’m a few hours away from being able to launch and test on my Ultra. Will do late this evening, and see if my experience is closer to your experience or that of Dan/atc98092. But whether mine would be representative of your situation depends on the size of your library.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
danrvm
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"danrvm" wrote:
...I have a very large library of titles but apps like Vudu and Movies Anywhere launch very quickly.

What’s “large?” Roughly how many titles in your Google Play Movies library?

I have 352 movies in mine. I don’t recall any issues loading it, but I’m a few hours away from being able to launch and test on my Ultra. Will do late this evening, and see if my experience is closer to your experience or that of Dan/atc98092. But whether mine would be representative of your situation depends on the size of your library.

Close to 1800. It's funny, there was even a 12 second delay for it to begin showing ANY titles online on my desktop computer!
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Huh. You may be over some threshold. If they’re actually querying your list of titles for more than just a simple count, then it might be a problem.

I’m thinking my experience may not be representative of yours.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Update: With a library of 351 movies, selecting "Library" completes the screen load/display within 3.6-5.4 seconds. Again, this may not be representative, as you have over 5 times as many movies in your library than I have in mine.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I'm querying CS to see if there are any known issues, but I'm guessing the size of the library (good God, 1800?!?) is likely the culprit.  If CS gives me any further information other than the obvious, I'll let you know.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
8traxrule
Level 7

Google Play takes forever to open on all of my Rokus and on my LG TV. I hardly ever use it for that reason- content that I have exclusively through Google is also viewable through my TV's YouTube app which is much easier to use. The Roku's YouTube app is similar but it won't pass 5.1 audio while the TV does.
0 Kudos
danrvm
Level 7

"8traxrule" wrote:
The Roku's YouTube app is similar but it won't pass 5.1 audio while the TV does.

Excellent idea but just for "exclusive" titles? I'd just use Vudu or Movies Anywhere when I'm after the home theater experience.
I did try the Google Play Movies app on a TCL with built-in Roku with similar results (unusually long launching, library loading, and title launching times).
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Basil" wrote:
Update: With a library of 351 movies, selecting "Library" completes the screen load/display within 3.6-5.4 seconds. Again, this may not be representative, as you have over 5 times as many movies in your library than I have in mine.

I will say that your loading time is no higher than mine with less than 30 titles. But perhaps as suggested there is an upper limit that causes an issue.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
I'm querying CS to see if there are any known issues, but I'm guessing the size of the library (good God, 1800?!?) is likely the culprit.  If CS gives me any further information other than the obvious, I'll let you know.

I spoke with CS last evening after reading your post.  The consensus right now, other than the sheer number of titles, is that it's probably an internet connection issue.  You might want to contact Google support to see if they have a better DNS service for you to use.  (Google DNS servers may actually help alleviate the problem; it's never helped me personally with connection issues, but I've seen a lot of other people here on the forums who have better response times with either Google DNS or Open DNS).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos