Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danrvm
Level 7

Google Play Movies

I'm using Google Play Movies on my Roku Ultra and it is extremely slow to load. Is this a known issue?
0 Kudos
29 Replies
reddice
Level 7

Re: Google Play Movies

Yes and it only plays movies in SD.  They look horrible so I deleted the app.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I've not used Google Play movies in awhile, but I do remember them playing quickly AND in HD.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
BobRoberts
Level 7

Just viewed a movie in HD last night on my Ultra. Perfect pix with no issues.
0 Kudos
danrvm
Level 7

Yes, it is in HD but the real concern is the extremely long time it takes to launch. I think it is because I have a very large library of titles but apps like Vudu and Movies Anywhere launch very quickly.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I just tried Google Play on my Sharp Roku TV. The channel itself loaded in a few seconds. I then moved to my library and selected a movie to play. This too was running in a matter of seconds. I have some 4K titles in MA, but I don't think GP shows anything higher that HD. I didn't play it long enough to state if it was in HD, but it looked about the same as my 4K UHD ripped file. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
danrvm
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
I just tried Google Play on my Sharp Roku TV. The channel itself loaded in a few seconds. I then moved to my library and selected a movie to play. This too was running in a matter of seconds.

Thanks for this. How many titles would you say you have? I have several hundred movies and TV show episodes. I tried running the app without being logged in and it was very snappy. However, when I entered my credentials it took about 30 seconds for the app to launch and another 45 seconds to show my library. Then, when trying to launch a title it took about another 30 seconds.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I just timed it from pressing the button to the channel being fully loaded and ready to select something. 5 seconds. I doubt the size of your library has anything to do with loading the channel, because I noticed it had to load my library separately when I selected it. I only have 29 titles in there. Again, this was my Sharp TV, not my Ultra. But the last time I can recall opening it on my Ultra it was about the same.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
danrvm
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
I just timed it from pressing the button to the channel being fully loaded and ready to select something. 5 seconds. I doubt the size of your library has anything to do with loading the channel, because I noticed it had to load my library separately when I selected it. I only have 29 titles in there. 

That's the point. I have several hundreds of titles and it should actually perform faster on the Ultra than your Sharp TV. I've never seen a Smart TV's Roku app match the performance of Roku's best box. If the number of titles did not have anything to do with it then it should at least load the app as quickly.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Don't agree. This Sharp TV is 4K, and it's every bit the equal of my Ultra for power and performance. Still, as I mentioned I wouldn't expect the channel to be slower loading because of the size of your library. The library doesn't appear to load until you actually select it. But of course it's always possible that something is going on in the background that is related to the library. Google is the only place you can get an answer to that, I'm afraid. It's their channel.
Dan
0 Kudos