Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Gone after enough mystery channels added without my permission

After enough mystery channel additions on my account (something support told me isnt possible - I guess I am suppose to be too stupid to realize new channels were showing up without me adding them), I am please to announce I am replacing my Roku this holiday season.  You know what is even worse than adding new channels without my permission? When I get up the next day and a channel is already playing on my Roku that I never started.

I am curious how much they are being paid for such deceptive business practices? I hope it is enough to be worth loosing customers. Get out while you can... big broth has gone from watch to actually trying to take over your viewing without permission. Shame on you Roku.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14

Re: Gone after enough mystery channels added without my permission

I have never had mystery channels added. Most likely somebody hacked your account and/or used the Roku app to control your player. Or somehow a neighbor got their remote paired with your Roku. You can try a factory reset on your Roku and force it to resync the remote and other settings. Also, change your Roku account password to something truly unique.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Gone after enough mystery channels added without my permission

@HuntingWabbits 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Do you have more than one Roku device that is being used? When a channel is added on one device, it is added to all devices which could explain why there are "mystery channels" being added to your device.

For more information about multiple devices on a the same account, visit our Support page here: Do I need a separate Roku account for each of my Roku® streaming devices?

In order to prevent channels being added to your account with your permission, we recommend adding a PIN to your account.

For more information regarding a PIN, visit our Support page here: How do I create or update the PIN for my Roku account?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos