Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RodH
Reel Rookie

German subtitles appear

Jump to solution

I'm watching "Man In The High Castle" on Prime.
Sometimes everything is fine. Japanese dialog or text brings up the English translation in a subtitle box, and the same where there is German dialog or text, the English subtitles appear as they should.
During random episodes, when there are words on the screen, German subtitles will appear translating.
And then when there is Japanese dialog the translations come up in German subtitles.
And the of course when there is German dialog in the show, no subtitles appear at all.

Two weeks ago when I was watching "Upload" this would happen whenever there was any kind of text or signage on the screen, a German translation subtitle would appear.

I have gone through all the subtitle settings on both the Roku Ultra unit, as well in my Amazon Prime subtitle settings. Nothing is set to German anywhere.

When this German subtitle thing does happen, I've discovered that if I pause the show, switch on the CC for a moment, and then switch the CC off again, the German issue goes away and everything works as it         should.

At this point, nothing I've watched on Netflix has caused this to happen.
I've asked on the Amazon community boards and they say try here.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: German subtitles appear

Jump to solution

@RodH 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Amazon Prime Video support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Amazon Prime Video support here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G9SY6AQJV45JFMET

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@RodH 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Amazon Prime Video support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Amazon Prime Video support here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G9SY6AQJV45JFMET

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Did you ever solve this issue? I'm having the same problem with my Premiere+. I've spent two days on chat with Amazon and no solutions from them.

0 Kudos
RodH
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It still happens in random episodes of any show on Prime.
The only way that I've found to stop it, is at the start of an episode is to pause, go to subtitles and turn "OFF". Even though they are off.???
I had to do it with a couple of episodes of "The Boys" last night.

0 Kudos
plj45789

Jump to solution

The same thing happened to me. I believe the way to fix it is press the pause button while watching a video. Using the arrow keys navigate to navigate up word twice and then move over to subtitles. Move over to where it says languages and that's where it was selected to Danish for me. Change it to be English and I think that may take care of your problem.

Chickadee

Jump to solution

Your solution works. My subtitle language was defaulted to Dansk. Pausing and going to subtitles is the solution. I changed it to English and have had no issues since. Thanks.

jcucchiaro

Jump to solution

Since so many Roku owners are having this issue, and it only occurs when streaming Amazon on our Roku device, not any other streaming device, perhaps Roku support could contact Amazon support to get the solution instead of putting the Roku owners through the **bleep** that is Amazon support. 

Tiberious_ST
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Why is this marked as solved, it isn’t.  There is a work-around that has to be constantly re-done, that isn’t a solution.

pilgrimhd

Jump to solution

None of the suggestions above work for me.  I paused the video, scrolled up to the settings, and checked my subtitles language.  English was selected, but German was still displaying.  I noticed that just above my choice of English was German, so the language above my choice was actually selected.  I figured what happens if I choose the language BELOW my choice, which is Spanish?  Well, I selected it and what do you know?  The foreign language audio in my show was displaying English subtitles.

JFrontera

Jump to solution

I want to personally thank you for your tip. It worked! 😊😊 J.F.

0 Kudos