Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

General questions re accessing subscriptions obtained through Roku

Jump to solution

All of my channel subscriptions have been made directly with the channel suppliers, not through Roku.  These are accessed by installing each channel's specific channel app on the Roku and authenticating with the credentials established for that channel via whatever means the channel has set up. 

When questions arise here on the board re subscriptions obtained through Roku I don't have the knowledge required to try to help.  So, please educate me.

When purchasing a subscription through Roku:

• Does one access the channel via the channel's own app, or does one access the channel in some other means, such as through The Roku Channel?   Is this universal, or does it vary with the channel?
  • Is this subscription viewable through other options, such as one's mobile device or desktop computers?  If so, what credentials does one use to authenticate - login and password attached to one's Roku account?
  • If one has multiple Roku devices linked to the same Roku account, is this channel accessible via all devices on the account without additional subscription fees?  If so, how does one authenticate on additional Roku devices?
  • Is the subscription billed as a separate, clearly identified charge stating it comes from Roku and exactly what it covers, or does it get rolled into a single combined charge with any other charges from Roku for that period?
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: General questions re accessing subscriptions obtained through Roku

Jump to solution

@makaiguy 

Thanks for the inquiry. I'll do my best to provide clarification regarding your questions.

• If you purchase a subscription through Roku Pay, you will be able to access it through either The Roku Channel or through the channel directly, depending on the channel. For some channels, you will only be able to access that channel's content through The Roku Channel and not through the channel directly, while in other cases, you will only be able to view the channel through the channel's own app (channel). This will highly vary depending on the channel. 
  • A subscription through Roku Pay will only allow the customer to view that subscription through Roku devices. If you (or a customer) are looking to view a subscription through multiple devices (not Roku), we would recommend subscribing through the channel provider directly and simply authenticating your (their) devices accordingly.
  • If you have multiple devices linked to the same account, subscriptions to channels will be viewable through all the devices as long as the channel supports that device. Please be aware that some channels do limit the amount of devices that can be viewed at the same time.
  • In regards to billing, I'm not quite sure how each channel subscription through Roku Pay will show up on an invoice. However, we do recommend customers to log into their Roku account online at my.roku.com and clicking Manage Your Subscriptions to see all active subscriptions through Roku Pay. If you or Community users would like more information about account or billing inquiries, we would recommend reaching out to our support team directly here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able to further assist you.

I hope this provides some insight for you and our future Community users. If you have any further questions, please feel free to continue to post in the Community or send me a PM and I'll do my best to assist you!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@makaiguy 

Thanks for the inquiry. I'll do my best to provide clarification regarding your questions.

• If you purchase a subscription through Roku Pay, you will be able to access it through either The Roku Channel or through the channel directly, depending on the channel. For some channels, you will only be able to access that channel's content through The Roku Channel and not through the channel directly, while in other cases, you will only be able to view the channel through the channel's own app (channel). This will highly vary depending on the channel. 
  • A subscription through Roku Pay will only allow the customer to view that subscription through Roku devices. If you (or a customer) are looking to view a subscription through multiple devices (not Roku), we would recommend subscribing through the channel provider directly and simply authenticating your (their) devices accordingly.
  • If you have multiple devices linked to the same account, subscriptions to channels will be viewable through all the devices as long as the channel supports that device. Please be aware that some channels do limit the amount of devices that can be viewed at the same time.
  • In regards to billing, I'm not quite sure how each channel subscription through Roku Pay will show up on an invoice. However, we do recommend customers to log into their Roku account online at my.roku.com and clicking Manage Your Subscriptions to see all active subscriptions through Roku Pay. If you or Community users would like more information about account or billing inquiries, we would recommend reaching out to our support team directly here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able to further assist you.

I hope this provides some insight for you and our future Community users. If you have any further questions, please feel free to continue to post in the Community or send me a PM and I'll do my best to assist you!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
Thanks. This will go a long way in enabling me to help others with subscription questions.
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600