Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
streaming_fan
Roku Guru

G, PG, PG-13, R MPAA-style ratings system needed for Roku Originals

Dear Roku,

My mother and I were sitting down the other day to try out watching some Roku Originals together.  The show had sort of a PG feel to it until, suddenly, the show unexpectedly dropped a few f-bombs.

WRITER'S EMBELLISHMENT: Madness!  The f-bombs continued to fall like a WWII air raid.  In the background, the sounds of lost children crying for their mothers.  The bleep, bleep, bleep of the language censors was non-stop.  My mother was bent over in prayer asking Jesus to protect her ears, but the terrible f-bombs exploding in our living room were relentless.  

Pls consider implementing some kind of rating system for Roku Originals similar to the familiar G, PG, PG-13, R system currently used in the movie industry.  Thanks in advance for listening to my suggestion.  

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
C_I
Roku Guru

Re: G, PG, PG-13, R MPAA-style ratings system needed for Roku Originals

At the very least, have a warning " This show may contain offensive language to some, viewer discretion is advised."  I do think the shows I've watched on Roku Originals does have an MA rating, or mature. I'm not sure they might have a D for domestic violence, S for sex V for violence or L for language, etc. That's how TV does their ratings system. Y for Youth, G  general audiences. etc. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@streaming_fan 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that Roku does allow blocking of content with the use of parental controls. For more information about how to use parental controls, visit our Support page here: How do I block content using parental controls?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
streaming_fan
Roku Guru

1.jpg

I see what you mean, C_I.  The Roku Originals have ratings such as TV-14 and TV-MA.  But as you say, maybe they don't add the letters D, L, S, V, FV to give more info about why the program was given the TV-MA rating.  Would be nice if they did.  I mean in our house, maybe TV-MA D would be okay (suggestive dialogue) as long as the show didn't have L, S, V.  

streaming_fan
Roku Guru

Danny, can you pls tell us, does Roku use the letters D, L, S, V, FV to give extra info regarding its TV-MA ratings for Roku Originals?  Thanks in advance.   

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@streaming_fan 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that Roku does allow blocking of content with the use of parental controls. For more information about how to use parental controls, visit our Support page here: How do I block content using parental controls?

Thanks,
Danny

With all due respect.  Roku DOES have a parental control option for The Roku Channel. Can't this be extended to Roku Originals, or alternatively, have access to Roku Originals go through The Roku Channel?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
HHarpe

I have stared to watch 3 or so shows on the Roku app that state they are TV14 or PG. They are not, they have been certified MA! I am watch tv and it got very mature quickly! I am so disappointed that I was watching trash! Fix your rating dumb asses! 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@HHarpe, you might want to give specific examples so someone can look into it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos